2021 Draft Talk

swede700

Regarding the Gregg Williams call, I think it was Dan Orlovsky on Twitter had shown a clip of a similar situation when he was DC with the Browns. He made the same call and the Browns got the sack. It is a gutsy call for sure, I highly doubt it was a call made to preserve the tank. Williams will not be with the Jets next year so what does he care if they get the #1 pick?

9 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Regarding the Gregg Williams call, I think it was Dan Orlovsky on Twitter had shown a clip of a similar situation when he was DC with the Browns. He made the same call and the Browns got the sack. It is a gutsy call for sure, I highly doubt it was a call made to preserve the tank. Williams will not be with the Jets next year so what does he care if they get the #1 pick?

He's been fired. Did not see that prior to post above.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30469684/source-new-york-jets-fire-defensive-coordinator-gregg-williams-controversial-blitz-call

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Vikings currently picking 20th per tankathon.

If we are that low at draft time, I wouldn't mind seeing us trade down to the end of the first round.  Maybe that would enable us to pick up a good OG and also a good DT.  If we could strengthen both of those positions with what was originally just our first round, we would be in nice shape.

2 hours ago, Duluther said:

First pick is surely a defensive player, regardless of who all returns on our D?

I’d think DT, CB and OL will be looked at as the priorities if MN picks around 20. Maybe DE but I’m confident that Hunter, Wonnum, Odinigbo and Ma’taafa can be the top 4. 

50 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

OL, DL, or DB I think are the most likely. 

I think with the way some prospects are being valued, it's almost certainly OL.  Vera-Tucker, Cosmi, Davis, and probably not but possibly Darrisaw would be right around our pick.

Edit: Rashawn Slater as well.

Edited by NoDakViking

27 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I think with the way some prospects are being valued, it's almost certainly OL.  Vera-Tucker, Cosmi, Davis, and probably not but possibly Darrisaw would be right around our pick.

Agree.  If the Vikings are in the 20s, that increases the likelihood of taking a DT, since it's a weak class, but I'd still put OL way ahead of any other position.  

• Like 1

It always should be BPA of a position of need. If Trey Lance falls due to inexperience and he's rated higher than all DT, OL, or DB's available you pick the QB even if he sits for a year or two. You simply cannot lock into selecting early round picks based on position or you end up reaching, re. Samantha's husband. Spielman can use later round picks and free agency to address specific positional needs. Sometimes you get lucky and the BPA is a positional need. Cheers to Justin Jefferson!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Agree.  If the Vikings are in the 20s, that increases the likelihood of taking a DT, since it's a weak class, but I'd still put OL way ahead of any other position.  

Yes I'd love a DT too but Wilson's hype has definitely fallen off as well as Barmore and Twyman.  That would maybe leave Tufele?  I think he would be a great fit too as well as the type we'd want lining up next to Pierce.

You wonder if the front office and Zimmer would be looking defense early as much as the fans seem to considering they will get to add Hunter, Pierce, and Barr back.

8 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Rashawn Slater is a very interesting selection,  he could be a great guard possibly as well but really wish he would have played this year..  Cosmi not sure I would take him 1st round, same with Ver-Tucker but I like Vera-Tucker more because of his OG potential.  Still give me Carman or Leatherwood as overall prospects, they are better than any of those guys but might not be scheme fits but Leatherwood possibly because he can play guard and Carman I think athletically is better than some think.  Mayfield is a hell of an athlete also at OT but might not declare.   There are surprisingly a lot of decent OT prospects in the draft but would be hard for the Vikings to pass on Wyatt Davis honestly.  He probably would not be around but I would still be wildly interested in Landon Dickerson, love his attitude and run blocking ability and he can play OC or OG and has arguably been the best center in the nation this year for Alabama and is the leader of the best offensive line in the nation in Alabama.

All the QB talk for the Vikings draft needs to slow I feel.

Kirk Cousins is going to be here two more years after this season.  I am not a huge fan of the guy but he is playing pretty damn good football and pretty sure they cannot get out of that massive contract anyway.  Sure will be great to developmental guy behind him but that could occur in 2022 or 2023 drafts.   Fact is that OL still cannot protect him, they gave up 14 QB hits and 4 sacks to Jacksonville without Josh Allen playing for the Jags.  So OL is absolutely on the board 1st round a guard or tackle.  Then if Odenigbo cannot be resigned DE is absolutely a need, DT is already a need as well and if Harris cannot be brought back safety is a huge need.  Also they have no 2nd round pick unless they trade into it, so that 1st round pick cannot be a developmental guy honestly it needs to be a starter.

No way the Vikings take a QB unless someone falls big time and even then, if they get in the playoffs and keep winning, the pick will be obviously worse and out of range for a top line QB anyway.

PS the Johnny Manziel comp for Zach Wilson is a good one.  Both have thin lower bodies, have poor pocket mechanics and overall fundamentals in the pocket.  They both almost rely on throwing on the move too much but also have a really live arm.  Wilson arguably more than Johnny and at least Wilson does not run as much as Johnny did and does not have that ego either but still.  Coastal Carolina is no world beater on defense but they made Zach Wilson look a little different, have a little crowd noise, hit him a few times and things are not so easy anymore.  That is times 10 in the NFL.  He is the hot new name and hot interesting pick in the draft possibly, hard to not really like his throwing arm and quick release but same was said for Trubisky coming out of UNC, can throw on the move, run around and make plays.  That is not everything though.

Everyone wants to get the next Patrick Mahomes but most forget he is coached by one of the best offensive coaches in the history of football, with a very stable offensive line and good OL coaching and arguably the two best receiving weapons in the NFL at WR and TE.  Not every QB that can run outside the pocket and throw the ball deep down field is a great player.  No way Zach Wilson is Russell Wilson in the NFL because he simply does not have that type of body mechanics in the pocket that Russell did.  Very interesting player though no question but QB is not the way to go 1st round for the Vikings with how Kirk has performed arguably better than he ever as as a Viking over the past few weeks.