2021 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

If we go OL in the first, I think we have to trade up at least to the mid-late 2nd range and get a DT.

Could we package Barr and a 3rd for a 2nd round pick?

Yeah, as much as I like Barr with how well Wilson has played honestly they should go with the more athletic linebacker who is better in coverage.  Barr just might not be worth the money he gets in the NFL of today where typical linebacker play is not as needed as before.  Not sure he benefits Kendricks much either, would love if he could rush the passer and be a DE every now and again, then he might be worth keeping if he could be more a edge player who drops in zone blitzes.

Not sure what they could get for him though, and not sure many teams would want him outside of 3/4 defenses but even that is a question how good he would be in that type of defense, maybe he could not hold the edge very well.  He does well in a 4-2-5 defense though as the other backer and I believe is a pretty great teammate and almost all the guys like him.  But is he worth $12-$15 mil a year, probably not especially when he is hurt all season like he is now.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’ll still take Barr over Wilson 10/10 times. 

I personally would too...he can do things athletically that Wilson just can't do. I like Wilson and think he can be adequate, but Barr is just better and does more for the defense as a whole.  

In a vacuum, it’s not even a talker... Barr’s inflated contract makes it a discussion worth having given that we are a cap team and he hasn’t played a full season since 2017. 

It’s not sustainable to pay two off ball linebackers what we currently are paying EK and AB

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Don't think Barr has that kind of value.

I think most GMs would at minimum value him as a 4th round pick. I forget the draft capital formula (like pick 1.1 is worth 2600 points, 1.2 is 1800 points etc.)

Where would you value him at?

Edited by SteelKing728

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think most GMs would at minimum value him as a 4th round pick. I forget the draft capital formula (like pick 1.1 is worth 2600 points, 1.2 is 1800 points etc.)

Where would you value him at?

Honestly, I'm not sure there's much of a market for him tbh.  When he agreed to the deal with the Jets for an AAV of ~$15M, it was largely viewed as an overpay.  I'm not sure taking off $1.5M really changes the equation all that much.  I believe he's the highest paid non-rush LB, so the market for him at face value isn't going to be overly high to begin with.  Given the uncertainty with the salary cap, I'm not sure there's much market for him at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I'm not sure there's much of a market for him tbh.  When he agreed to the deal with the Jets for an AAV of ~$15M, it was largely viewed as an overpay.  I'm not sure taking off $1.5M really changes the equation all that much.  I believe he's the highest paid non-rush LB, so the market for him at face value isn't going to be overly high to begin with.  Given the uncertainty with the salary cap, I'm not sure there's much market for him at all.

Agreed.  He's not a rush LB, so most teams aren't going to value him as much as we do, especially at his age (he'll be 29 next year) and what he does.  He's kinda like the defensive version of the RB.  He makes more here because he's valued more here in our defense.