2021 Draft Talk

swede700

23 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Why?

Poor use of assets at a less impactful position that is very dependent on how the defensive line in front of them plays.  Kendricks makes sense to pay as a top tier player given his ability in both the run and pass game as well as playing the higher value middle linebacker position.  If Barr himself were a more impactful player, you could argue that the pay would be justified, but Eric Wilson is blitzing/rushing at a similar rate to Barr and having similar success in pressures, sacks, and knockdowns.  Not to mention his passer rating allowed is about half that of Barr - all playing behind a far inferior line than Barr ever has in his career.

The money allocated to Barr would be better used shoring up either side of the line.  Given that we are paying top dollar at the quarterback position, and will be a cap team because of it, it doesn't make sense to pay Barr what he's making given the lower level of impact, and games missed, over the last three years.

Just my opinion on team building, and based on my very basic understanding of the Vikings defense.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, babababa said:

Wilson has been excellent. I would prioritize his resigning.

Yeah Wilson I would love to bring back, I liked him a lot out of Cincinnati and his athletic ability and compact power really does well in the NFL of today because he can do a variety of things well.  If they do not resign him and somehow get rid of Barr and that contract, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah I would love as a Viking.  He is great in coverage and would be possibly cheaper than Eric Wilson but a better player long term.  Risky though because he could go high in the draft to the right team, but he makes plays all over the field and would be a steal in the lower mid to end of the 1st round.  With how Wilson has played though he would be a priority over say Odenigbo I feel, not over Harris though.

On 12/9/2020 at 9:26 AM, TENINCH said:

If the Florida TE Kyle Pitts is available is he someone worth taking for our offense? I know he can catch but haven't seen his blocking.

Kyle Pitts will be picked in the top 10, so doubt the Vikings select that high even if they do not make the playoffs so really he is off the table.  His blocking has improved but he is so athletic he could play WR in the right system potentially.  But would be absolute hell to match up at TE, if Waller can do what he is do, Pitts could destroy people.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Kyle Pitts will be picked in the top 10, so doubt the Vikings select that high even if they do not make the playoffs so really he is off the table.  His blocking has improved but he is so athletic he could play WR in the right system potentially.  But would be absolute hell to match up at TE, if Waller can do what he is do, Pitts could destroy people.  

The only way I think he's going in the top 10 is if the Lions decide they need another top-10 TE, since they're the only one to do so in 15 years...and they've done it twice (and took Pettigrew at #20 in 2009).

Edited by swede700

Watching Clinic tape of Oregon's wide zone... we've pretty much played our way out of the ability to get him, but I have to imagine Kubiak and Dennison turn on Oregon tape and drool over Penei Sewell.

Watching him fold inside a 3-tech on the back side of wide zone is breathtaking.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Watching Clinic tape of Oregon's wide zone... we've pretty much played our way out of the ability to get him, but I have to imagine Kubiak and Dennison turn on Oregon tape and drool over Penei Sewell.

Watching him fold inside a 3-tech on the back side of wide zone is breathtaking.

Sewell is another Quinten Nelson for me. He a playmaker along the the offensive, and a tone setter. 

While many are ok with trading a high price for a QB. I’d be more than willing to pay that price for Sewell. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, swede700 said:

The only way I think he's going in the top 10 is if the Lions decide they need another top-10 TE, since they're the only one to do so in 15 years...and they've done it twice (and took Pettigrew at #20 in 2009).

I think he is a top 10 talent no question about it in this draft class.  Could team needs change that when the official order comes out?  Sure but he is without question a top 10 talent in this draft class group that does not have many premium 3/4 OLB pass rushers, defensive tackles or corners arguably.  The kid can play and is a hell of a matchup problem.  

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Sewell is another Quinten Nelson for me. He a playmaker along the the offensive, and a tone setter. 

While many are ok with trading a high price for a QB. I’d be more than willing to pay that price for Sewell. 

Yeah he should be the #2 pick in the draft but most likely it will be Justin Fields but Sewell will have a better career.  Vikings would have to trade multiple seasons 1st round draft picks for even a shot at him so really it is not even an option.  Is easily the best OT in the draft and it is a very good OT group potentially.  Unless a team wants to trade that pick and some other things for Kirk Cousins, not sure the Jaguars would ever do that one.  

3 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I would hope not

Right now, the top 3 is pretty easy to pencil in.

1.) NY Jets - Trevor Lawrence [QB; Clemson]
2.) Jacksonville Jaguars - Justin Fields [QB; Ohio State]
3.) Cincinnati Bengals - Penei Sewell [OT; Oregon]

But beyond that, it's a bit more uncertain both in terms of draft order and who those teams would pick.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But beyond that, it's a bit more uncertain both in terms of draft order and who those teams would pick.

I'd be depressed if I knew one of those teams was going to draft me.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I would agree with that, those three are almost written in stone, but the order could change if the Chargers oddly keep losing.  Then after that it is a lot more open to who people like.  Arguably these six are the next best players but that can change based on team needs and what teams are looking for.  Also how Parsons and not included on this list of 6 Rousseau and Twyman workout is very important as well since none of them have played this season.  Same could be said for Trey Lance who also has not really played this year either, and hell Chase ontop of that as well.

Micah Parsons Penn State JR OLB
Kyle Pitts Florida JR TE
Devonta Smith Alabama SR WR
Trey Lance North Dakota State RS SOPH QB
Ja'Marr Chase LSU JR WR
Jaylen Waddle Alabama JR WR

It could be a real crap shoot.  

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I would agree with that, those three are almost written in stone, but the order could change if the Chargers oddly keep losing.  Then after that it is a lot more open to who people like.

Chargers have winnable games for the next 3 weeks.  I'd imagine they win at least one of them.  Plus, they'd need one of the 3 I mentioned to win for them to move up.