2021 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, NoDakViking said:

I wouldn't put it past Belicheck to lose on purpose to try drop NYJs pick if they can.

A Jets win would not drop them any further. They only have 2 wins. The team picking third already has 4 wins. I believe that the Jets are locked in at #2 no matter what happens.

7 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

If we retain Reiff and draft a strong LG, we've solidified our line. O'Neill, Cleveland, Bradbury, __________, Reiff is more than adequate, as I think Bradbury has made (and should continue to make) strides, Cleveland has been very good and should only be better with a full offseason to prepare as the starter. A good LG will make Bradbury even better. 

In my opinion, DT and QBOTF are just too glaring to spend a near Top 10 pick on a Tackle. 

I disagree, O'Neill has struggled at times this year in pass pro but he is young so whatever, still I expected him to be much better this year.  Reiff has looked good but nothing great out there and is pretty old.  Guard is the biggest need sure and I would love Wyatt Davis there or Josh Myers to move Bradbury from center.  Bradbury gets pushed around way to much for my liking and maybe he is simply not strong enough and he never will be.  Myers could be interesting there because of that but who knows and he could play guard also if asked.  This one I had Jackson Carman selected because OT would be a need and maybe then Reiff and or O'Neill could kick into guard or they just simply get rid of Reiff to save some money.  Is a stretch sure but I would be disappointed if the starting tackles for the Vikings are Reiff and O'Neill next year.  Jackson Carman I feel is better than both and athletic enough to play in the system as well.  

DT would be great but again in terms of value it does not make sense unless a DT really shows out at the combine.  QB sure if Lance is there but honestly Kirk Cousins is not the problem with this team, was for years but this season he has been great despite awful OL play at times in pass pro.  We paid him all that money and cannot get out of the contract most likely so might as well use him and play him.  

What is the better offensive line here I do not know, tons of options though but again I would like to upgrade OT.  Depends on how much they like Dozier or not, if not the OG is clearly the play.  Still I would play with moving Bradbury to OG possibly and still who knows if Cleveland should stick at OG but if they do not get rid of a tackle they have no other options.

OT Reiff
OG Cleveland
C Bradbury
OG  Wyatt Davis
OT O'Neill

OT Carman
OG Cleveland
C Bradbury
OG Dozier
OT O'Neill

OT Reiff
OG Bradbury
C Josh Myers
OG Cleveland
OT O'Neill

OT Reiff
OG Cleveland
C Bradbury
OG Josh Myers
OT O'Neill

OT Cleveland
OG Wyatt Davis
C Bradbury
OG Dozier
OT O'Neill

I like Josh Myers in there and the ability to move him to OG or Bradbury to OG.  Cannot do that with Wyatt Davis because then we have no center, Myers provides that at least.

Is frustrating they do not play Udoh at all in any regard.  I would like to see him do something but clearly they do not believe he can play guard and is not good enough to play tackle over who we got.  Hopefully the last game they finally let him play a little.  In some of those blowout games I would have put him in there just for the hell of it, but Kirk is getting so crushed they probably did not want him to get hit even more than he already is.  It says he played 5 games though this year, when the hell was that?  I do not recall him playing but maybe he did late in some games...

Edited by Ozzy

I like Bradbury at Center, but yes, he did get pushed back by some of the bigger NTs.   He's very smart and excellent at getting to the 2nd level, which is part of what makes the run game good.  I also believe, if we watch as much film as the teams do, we'd see Cousins does quite well when there's no pressure up the middle.  I don't know if he was the most pressured QB in the league, but he was top-5 for sure . . . and he still had decent numbers -- except for the interceptions and fumbles (yes, I know what that says).  He gets paid to win, lead the team to win.

The O-line is a massively critical part of that.  If those 5 can't handle 4, which they routinely do not, how can we as fans really blame every body but the big boys up front and the O-line coach.  I feel like Reiff has done ok-better-than-average this year, but I don't know how well his contract works in this upcoming major cut to the salary cap (another topic, but how many retirements will that force?).  O'Neill got beat a few times this year, basically once every 2 or 3 games?  I'll take that all day long . . . Samia got be 2-3 times a quarter.

Wyatt Davis might just be the guy to consider at the Vikes first pic, but there are several to truly consider -- then weigh that against the DTs the Vikes need.  Then again, maybe there's a game day trade where Barr is sent off for a 2nd or late 1st and then Zaven Collins or Micah Parsons is sitting there.   

Seems like there's a bunch of mid-round 330-lbers, so those guys intrigue me.  Put beef on beef at the OG spots . . . I mean how many QB sneaks do other teams run at 4th and 6 inches?  The Vikes?  Nope, we gotta run some stupid whatever and get stuffed.

The final guys I'd like to see are the unreal mid-late-round OTs . . . that tiny-tot from UM (Faalele) would be awesome to put out there in a heavy package.  There's a guy from Washington State that did pretty well at 6' 7" and 330-ish, plus several other guys in that size range . . . would be good to see some strength join the ranks.  

I know Kubiak wants athletic, fast O-linemen, but we can't have that if they can't get low and hold ground.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I like Bradbury at Center, but yes, he did get pushed back by some of the bigger NTs.   He's very smart and excellent at getting to the 2nd level, which is part of what makes the run game good.  I also believe, if we watch as much film as the teams do, we'd see Cousins does quite well when there's no pressure up the middle.  I don't know if he was the most pressured QB in the league, but he was top-5 for sure . . . and he still had decent numbers -- except for the interceptions and fumbles (yes, I know what that says).  He gets paid to win, lead the team to win.

The O-line is a massively critical part of that.  If those 5 can't handle 4, which they routinely do not, how can we as fans really blame every body but the big boys up front and the O-line coach.  I feel like Reiff has done ok-better-than-average this year, but I don't know how well his contract works in this upcoming major cut to the salary cap (another topic, but how many retirements will that force?).  O'Neill got beat a few times this year, basically once every 2 or 3 games?  I'll take that all day long . . . Samia got be 2-3 times a quarter.

Wyatt Davis might just be the guy to consider at the Vikes first pic, but there are several to truly consider -- then weigh that against the DTs the Vikes need.  Then again, maybe there's a game day trade where Barr is sent off for a 2nd or late 1st and then Zaven Collins or Micah Parsons is sitting there.   

Seems like there's a bunch of mid-round 330-lbers, so those guys intrigue me.  Put beef on beef at the OG spots . . . I mean how many QB sneaks do other teams run at 4th and 6 inches?  The Vikes?  Nope, we gotta run some stupid whatever and get stuffed.

The final guys I'd like to see are the unreal mid-late-round OTs . . . that tiny-tot from UM (Faalele) would be awesome to put out there in a heavy package.  There's a guy from Washington State that did pretty well at 6' 7" and 330-ish, plus several other guys in that size range . . . would be good to see some strength join the ranks.  

I know Kubiak wants athletic, fast O-linemen, but we can't have that if they can't get low and hold ground.  

Barr might get you a late second.  No way he gets you a first.  

The Vikings aren’t going to be drafting the 6’7 330 lb OL players unless they can move. Those players aren’t typically around in the mid rounds. They get drafted in the top 15 like Mekhi Becton. 

Now, with our top draft pick we might be able to get our hands on one of those unicorns, but as long as our offensive system remains the same, movement is going to be valued over size. 

Edited by RpMc

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

The Vikings aren’t going to be drafting the 6’7 330 lb OL players unless they can move. Those players aren’t typically around in the mid rounds. They get drafted in the top 15 like Mekhi Becton. 

Now, with our top draft pick we might be able to get our hands on one of those unicorns, but as long as our offensive system remains the same, movement is going to be valued over size. 

So expect continued pressure up the middle....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

So expect continued pressure up the middle....

You don’t have to be 330 LBs to not get blown back into the QBs lap. Jason Kelce is 40 lbs and a heavy dinner away from 330, but he understands leverage and hand placement... and the guy to his left isn’t a traffic cone in a jersey like Dakota Dozier is.