2021 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Stanford senior quarterback Davis Mills announced on Thursday that he will enter the 2021 NFL draft.

“To everyone who has impacted my time at Stanford – Coach (David) Shaw, Coach (Tavita) Pritchard, the rest of the coaching staff, strength staff, trainers, and everyone involved within the program – thank you for your belief and investment in me, and for helping to prepare me for the ultimate goal,” Mills wrote in announcing his decision.

In 13 games (11 starts) over the past two seasons, Mills completed 287-of-436 (65.8%) of passes for 3,468 yards and 18 touchdowns. He was named honorable mention All-Pac-12 in 2019 after finishing with 1,508 passing yards and 10 total touchdowns. His 301.6 yards per game were the second most in the Pac-12.

Mills had a school-record 504 passing yards at Washington State in 2019. He also led a dramatic, come-from-behind, two-overtime win at UCLA in his final game as the Cardinal quarterback. After falling behind 34-20 with 5:39 to play, Mills went 15-of-22 for 169 yards and three touchdowns to lead the Cardinal to the win.

A Cardinal captain in 2020, Mills will graduate with his degree in science, technology and society in March.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/12/31/stanford-qb-davis-mills-chooses-nfl-draft-over-returning-to-school/

who knows anything about this dude? projected draft status? good to sit for two tears?

team captain... intelligent... articulate... well balanced attitude... character traits the Vikings look for.

20 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

So, you didn’t watch the game? Really 1 pick. 2nd one went right thru the WR’s hands and the other pick was a tipped ball.

And as for “ the kids in the limelight “ all they did is drop passes all night. 

I like the fact that he showed that he is a team player and not all about him self like 4 WR’s I know. What’s funny, maybe 1 ( Pittman) might be taken in the 2nd round. The rest will be late flyers. And none of them would be getting drafted if it was for what Trask did over the full year. 

No, I didn't get to watch much of the game, saw part of it and listened to part of it on the radio.  Don't get me wrong, I like Trask and think he's been playing great all year.  It's why he's a finalist for the Heisman.  In this particular game though, he had 12 incompletions plus the three pics, of 31 passes thrown . . . how many were drops?  I totally agree, other than missed kicks inside 40 yards, dropped passes are the most gut-wrenching part of the game.  Well, maybe when the nose of the football hits your facemask and you're the LB or CB in coverage . . . and you drop the pick . . . that may be more gut wrenching.  

Back to the topic at hand, did Trask just have a bad day?  We all know those happen . . . Farve had 'em, Peyton had 'em etc.  Missing Pitts was big and the back-ups at WR and TE didn't help the cause.  The offense also played Emory Jones some at QB, so Trask didn't get as many opportunities to claw back.

My feel is he'd be the QB the Vikes would draft in the 1st Rd if they pick one, and I'm not sold on him being a good value at top 15.  I'm probably wrong there, as he'll probably make up for it during Senior Bowl week.  In any case, if the Vikes go with Trask  . . . he's a 16-6 starter in the SEC, with a 68% completion percentage and 66:11 ratio in those starts.  He put up 408 yds and 3 TD, 0 picks against Bama, in a close SEC Championship game.  So, does he have it?  

The argument against him is he had less than 100 yds rushing in the starts, plus being sacked 40 times (albeit not too bad).  

In the end, if the football gods could have Trask slide to the 3rd Rd, I'd be happier for the Vikes to nab him there.  Still need to go with the heavies in Rd 1.  

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

What?  DeVonta Smith has greatly improved his draft stock, if he would have left last year he might have fell to the 2nd round maybe with how many receivers were in that draft.  This year he could easily be a top 5 pick and maybe be a National Champ as well.  And the Randy Moss talk I do not get, DeVonta Smith is fast but he is not Randy Moss fast and never will be.  DeVonta is just one of the most competitive receivers I have seen in awhile, has amazing hands and really knows how to play the position and get open, his improvement over these last four years is out of this world impressive.  

Wyatt Davis was impressive as was that entire Ohio State OL.  Myers and Davis as guards potentially for the Vikings might totally be the way to go when the Vikings select.  Myers could play center but could be a hell of a guard as well and Davis already is a great guard and the best one in the class.

When I was talking about D Smith's fast like Randy Moss  . . . yep, you remember the game - Cowboys Moss' rookie year, 3 catches, 3 TDs.  Remember that hitch and poof?  Smith's one TD reminded me of that play.  Now, is he truly has fast as Moss?  Possibly not, but he sure made everyone else around him look pedestrian on the field.  

As for Wyatt Davis  . . . yes, he was great and it'll be fun seeing him in the championship against Bama.  If he does really well, he'll definitely be a strong consideration with the Vikes 1st pick, if he's still on the board.   

4 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I was trying to watch him (Davis) as best I could. Can he transition to LG?

Still wondering if the Vikings look to convert another athletic tackle to OG like they've done with Cleveland.

I do not think Cleveland was put at OG because they wanted to, they had to because Elflein was so bad and Samia was not much better.  I think Wyatt Davis could play either guard position, no reason he could not if need be.  Cleveland has been good there but not sure they are sold on that, if Rieff is gone or they do not sign O'Neill long term Cleveland could easily move back out to OT which is more natural for him considering his athletic ability.  

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Intangibles matter. I’m taking Fields over any other QB in this draft. 

He had an amazing game no question, but he showed more intangibles in that game and toughness than he has arguably his entire career.  Kid played great no doubt especially after that injury, that was something but I still question his ability to see the field and take consistent pressure and make good choices.  Amazing game by him though, will be interesting how he does against Bama who has better LBs than Clemson and a much better secondary as well and arguably a better pass rush overall.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Interesting. I don't know anything else about him though haha

Here's one thing for you to know; he's very very fast.  So, he could be a great addition to the offense.  Imagine a defense trying to cover 18, 19, and Schwartz!  

May the Schwartz be with you! (Mel Brooks; "Spaceballs")

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

How do you figure?

I mean, unless you think the Vikings are trading up Zach Wilson probably won't be available for the Vikings to pick.  And Alvin Kamara and Trey Sermon are two completely different types of backs.  

6 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

How do you figure?

Jaguars, Jets, Falcons, Eagles, Lions, Panthers, Broncos, Cowboys, and 49ers could all go QB.  There's no way that Wilson is going to be on the board at 14, I feel fairly confident in saying that.