2021 Draft Talk

swede700

Does anyone think we’ll get one of the top 4 QBs that fall to #14 (most likely Zach Wilson/Trey Lance)? I just saw some YouTube videos on Trey Lance and he looks scary. I wouldn’t want to be on the defense going against him. My favorite quality about him is that even when he screws up or misses a read, he can still quickly improvise and make a positive play. You can’t really teach that. This year’s top QBs are special. Zach Wilson is amazing too. Kind of reminds me of Patrick Mahomes. If Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence weren’t in this draft class, Zach Wilson and Trey Lance would easily be top 5 picks in my opinion. 

Edited by Purplepride323

McShay mock has the Vikings taking Christian Darrisaw [LT] Virginia Tech at 14. It's VT, and not Virginia, but his name sounds enough like D'Brickashaw for me to feel good about it.

Edited by RpMc

20 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

Does anyone think we’ll get one of the top 4 QBs that fall to #14 (most likely Zach Wilson/Trey Lance)?

Of the four, only Trey Lance figures to maybe be available at 14.  Trevor Lawrence is going 1st overall.  I've got QB2 going second, whether it be to the Jets or to another team via a trade up.  I think Miami at 3 will be shopping the pick, using the Falcons at 4 as potential leverage of threat of taking QB3.  I could realistically see any of the teams picking from 6-10  move up for a QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Of the four, only Trey Lance figures to maybe be available at 14.  Trevor Lawrence is going 1st overall.  I've got QB2 going second, whether it be to the Jets or to another team via a trade up.  I think Miami at 3 will be shopping the pick, using the Falcons at 4 as potential leverage of threat of taking QB3.  I could realistically see any of the teams picking from 6-10  move up for a QB.

That would make sense.  I could see Carolina making that move because it would kill 2 birds with 1 stone...get their future QB and hurt the Falcons.

9 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Nice that Darrisaw is getting some notice. Was my first draft prediction on the bottom of page 39. Seems like a perfect scheme fit.

Darrisaw?  In this said Mock was Wyatt Davis there?   Darrisaw I would not hate but I would sure hope better OL are around.  Slater was mocked very highly in that one also right, like top 5 or something?  Crazy for a dude who did not even play this year but I would rather have Slater than Darrisaw all day, still OG is the concern not as much OT but I assume Darrisaw is a convert to OG because he is not great in pass pro.  

Alex Leatherwood where was he in this mock?  I think a lot are sleeping on that dude, he has been quite legit for awhile and has been a better player long term than Darrisaw.  Leatherwood also can play OG and is arguably already a better tackle in pass pro than Darrisaw is.  

Still hard to dislike a OL pick when it is most likely the best value there.  

• Like 1

They got a lot of work to do, especially if all the free agents are gone there are some starting holes to fill.  

QB Cousins,               ,
RB Cook, Mattison,                   ,
FB Ham
TE Rudolph, I. Smith, T. Conklin
WR Thielen, Beebe
WR Jefferson, Bisi Johnson
OT Reiff,            ,
OG
C Bradbury,               ,
OG Cleveland, Samia
OT O'Neill, Udoh

DE Hunter, Wonnum
DT Pierce, Stephen
DT               , Watts, Lynch
DE              ,  Holmes
OLB Barr,                ,
ILB Kendricks, C. Smith
OLB                   ,  Dye
CB Gladney, Hand
CB Dantzler, Boyd
S Smith,               ,
S             ,              ,

Free Agents

Anthony Harris
Eric Wilson
Ifeadi Odenigbo
Dakota Dozier
Sean Mannion
Rashod Hill
Mike Boone
Chad Beebe
Ameer Abdullah
Jaleel Johnson

Still on this list one could absolutely make the case for Anthony Harris being the biggest need free agent signing based on basically zero backups at the position or even guys who maybe could do it.  Maybe Metellus or Dorn is some star in the waiting but have yet to show that in any real game action, then again not sure Harris played all that great this year to get some huge contract.  Backup QB has to be addressed as well, not sold on Browning or Stanley at all for obvious reasons.  If cheap I would not mind bringing back Beebe, Abdullah or Hill of course.  Not sure Dozier is worth bringing back but is better than say Samia starting.  Pierce will be really curious how good he ends up being next season.  

Not to mention Dan Bailey who really needs to just go.  Two impressive kickers are in this draft and could be anywhere from 3rd to 5th round picks.  Both have strong legs and both have been accurate, talented kickers for sure.

Jose Borregales Miami FL RS SR
Evan McPherson Florida JR

Some free agent guards who might be of interest, Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney on the LA Chargers I like, both have injury issues but are athletic enough at OG to do some things in this system.   It is a really bad group of FA RTs though, barely anyone there.  Cam Robinson is a free agent but sure he could get a decent amount possibly, is not great but not awful either and Trent Williams is a FA again, should get a huge contract after another Pro Bowl year.  Really though based on the lack of money, building the OL in free agency is not really an option most likely.

I think some of the players who Opted out are being over mocked.  This look like the perfect spot to get a a elite player who drops from a run on QBs or trade back  to recoup a late 2nd.

NFCN all have at least 1 DT who can push back a weak OLmen with ease consistently. Vikings need to come away with at least 1 starting OG, pass rusher  and another CB

Would like another mid to late round NT to back up Pierce. LSU Farrell, Shelvin, or MSU Jones could possibly fill that role

Edited by dc_vikingfan

18 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

and another CB

I'd much rather get a veteran presence instead of taking yet another rookie.

Our veteran most CB (Hughes) is 24 years old in February and has 3 years in the league. It's an *extremely* young CB room and I think we'd be better served signing someone who can bring experience to the position instead of throwing another rookie into the fire if there's an injury.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

52 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'd much rather get a veteran presence instead of taking yet another rookie.

Our veteran most CB (Hughes) is 24 years old in February and has 3 years in the league. It's an *extremely* young CB room and I think we'd be better served signing someone who can bring experience to the position instead of throwing another rookie into the fire if there's an injury.

I would disagree because our 3 rookie cornerbacks this year played better than any other corner on the team. Dantzler was by far our best corner and Gladney was solid for the most part. I would love for us to trade back into the second round and get Jaycee Horn or Eric Stokes. Even Greg Newsome if he’s available. The cornerback class this year is too good to pass up on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I see it being brought up elsewhere, but in the irrational world of mocks, what would you do if Justin Fields were available at #14?  

Sell the pick to Washington for #19, their 2022 1st round pick, and an additional 2nd (#51) or both 3rds (74 & 82), if that doesn't work move on down the list of other playoff teams in Indy, Pittsburgh, and New Orleans to get a haul from them.

Essentially, I'm trading the pick if there's a QB in the perceived top 4 that falls to us at #14.

Edited by RpMc