Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

You take Justin Fields and run with it.

100% agree with that, If Justin Fields falls to us we take him and run, Vikings have a good enough roster. Hopefully we can hit on a lineman or two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

I would disagree because our 3 rookie cornerbacks this year played better than any other corner on the team. Dantzler was by far our best corner and Gladney was solid for the most part. I would love for us to trade back into the second round and get Jaycee Horn or Eric Stokes. Even Greg Newsome if he’s available. The cornerback class this year is too good to pass up on. 

So why would we need ANOTHER rookie CB in the early rounds if our 3 rookies played well? I mean I KNOW CB depth is important but when you have 3 solid rookie CBs, Hughes coming back, do we *really* need to burn 2 more draft picks to move up for a 2nd round rookie?

You have 3 good CBs as is...a healthy Hughes would make 4 perfectly startable CBs that should only get better with a full, normal off-season.

We're going to need a DT, S, LB, G way more than another rookie CB and only have 1 pick in the top-75 picks. Using probably two 3rds (since our 4ths are later) to move up into the second would only give us 2 picks in the top-110 and one of those being spent on a CB would be pretty bad.

I just don't see us needing to spend a high draft pick on another corner. I'd rather get the above-average/average vet coming off his rookie contract and add experience then look in the later rounds (4th) for bargains than spend yet another high pick on a rookie CB.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Not even close to the Mahomes trade.  Like at all.  The Chiefs traded their FRP (#27), 3rd round pick (#91), and their '18 FRP to move up to the Bills pick (#10).  The Chiefs moved up a 17 slots giving up that package.  You're asking a team to give up a SRP on top of a future FRP to move up 5 slots.  Not going to happen.

You're right, it's not as much like the deal as I thought I remembered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

So why would we need ANOTHER rookie CB in the early rounds if our 3 rookies played well? I mean I KNOW CB depth is important but when you have 3 solid rookie CBs, Hughes coming back, do we *really* need to burn 2 more draft picks to move up for a 2nd round rookie?

You have 3 good CBs as is...a healthy Hughes would make 4 perfectly startable CBs that should only get better with a full, normal off-season.

We're going to need a DT, S, LB, G way more than another rookie CB and only have 1 pick in the top-75 picks. Using probably two 3rds (since our 4ths are later) to move up into the second would only give us 2 picks in the top-110 and one of those being spent on a CB would be pretty bad.

I just don't see us needing to spend a high draft pick on another corner. I'd rather get the above-average/average vet coming off his rookie contract and add experience then look in the later rounds (4th) for bargains than spend yet another high pick on a rookie CB.

 

I think Mike Hughes is good as gone. His last year on his rookie contract and I don’t think we even have to pick it up. He hasn’t proven anything in his career so far and even when he was healthy this year, he didn’t play well. I think we should draft at least one more starting caliber CB and bring back Kris Boyd. I think Kris Boyd played better than Mike Hughes and showed more progress. If Kris Boyd is our 5th cornerback, we’ll be alright. 

Edited by Purplepride323
Link to post
Share on other sites

Counting on Mike Hughes to remain healthy would be a mistake. Dantzler and Gladney showed some nice promise and will hopefully improve on solid rookie campaigns. Hand looks like he could be quality depth/spot starter, and Boyd I'm indifferent on. I just remember Boyd had his fair share of ST penalties.

I would not be opposed to adding another CB, I'm sure Spielman will work his draft board and acquire a 2nd rounder someway, somehow.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Counting on Mike Hughes to remain healthy would be a mistake. Dantzler and Gladney showed some nice promise and will hopefully improve on solid rookie campaigns. Hand looks like he could be quality depth/spot starter, and Boyd I'm indifferent on. I just remember Boyd had his fair share of ST penalties.

I would not be opposed to adding another CB, I'm sure Spielman will work his draft board and acquire a 2nd rounder someway, somehow.

 

I definitely wouldn’t count on Hughes, but I absolutely expect him to be a part of at least the training camp roster next year, and have a good shot at the roster even if it’s as a 4th corner/special teamer. 
 

I would bring in an older vet player in a minimum deal, because we can’t go into the year with the depth corners being Jones and Boyd. 

Edited by RpMc
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I agree that Hughes will be on the roster, sorry if that was confusing.

I honestly hope not. Like I said before, he hasn’t shown any promise or progression during the last few years and he was a first-round pick so his cap hit is pretty high. I would rather cut him and draft a second rounder like: Eric Stokes, Tyson Campbell, Jaycee Horn or even Shaun Wade. All of those guys are better than Mike Hughes, just on athletic ability and talent alone. If our CB unit is: Dantzler, Horn, Gladney, Hand & Boyd. I’ll be happy with that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I honestly hope not. Like I said before, he hasn’t shown any promise or progression during the last few years and he was a first-round pick so his cap hit is pretty high. I would rather cut him and draft a second rounder like: Eric Stokes, Tyson Campbell, Jaycee Horn or even Shaun Wade. All of those guys are better than Mike Hughes, just on athletic ability and talent alone. If our CB unit is: Dantzler, Horn, Gladney, Hand & Boyd. I’ll be happy with that. 

The two don’t have to be mutually exclusive; Hughes can be kept into training camp and a rookie can be drafted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, RpMc said:

The two don’t have to be mutually exclusive; Hughes can be kept into training camp and a rookie can be drafted. 

I just don’t see why we should keep Hughes. Especially with a higher cap hit since he is going into his 4th year. Rather spend that money elsewhere; Like re-signing Eric Wilson or Anthony Harris. 

Edited by Purplepride323
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I just don’t see why we should keep Hughes. Especially with a higher cap hit since he is going into his 4th year. Rather spend that money elsewhere; Like re-signing Eric Wilson or Anthony Harris. 

You don’t save much by cutting him, not nearly enough to be talking about re-signing Wilson or Harris.

Moving on from Rudolph, sliding Barr’s contract like they did with Kendricks’ (assuming the language is in there, Sliding Harrison’s contract or extending him, are all way more meaningful cap moves than releasing Hughes. 

The corner depth on this team is shoddy at best, and while he hasn’t been able to stay healthy, Hughes has talent that other, relatively cheap, options do not have. As long as everything checks out medically, it’s very unlikely he’s not on the 90 man roster for camp. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cutting him would save us close to $1.5 million and we don’t have to pay him next year. Rather move on than pay him $4 million to be our 4th or 5th CB. Also this is his second season-ending neck injury. I don’t hate the guy, and I wouldn’t hate to have him on the team next year, but I just don’t think we should keep him when we have 4 or 5 guys that are better. Like I said before, this is a very deep cornerback class and I’m sure Zimmer will be keen on getting at least one or even two. 

Edited by Purplepride323
Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s set to make $3.1M next year, and by cutting him you’d save just under $1.2. Not sure where you got your numbers.

Again, not consequential enough when you figure that at least a VSB deal would go to a veteran player to replace him as a depth player going in to the draft. That’s $850k against the cap before any additional signing bonus benefits are factored in.

320k in cap space isn’t worth cutting Hughes from the roster when he’s a better dice roll than a lot of players available in the pool, and he’s familiar with the scheme.

I too expect the Vikings to select a rookie or two at the position, they always do, but having Hughes on the roster in training camp doesn’t dissuade that, nor does cutting him prior to camp give us anything consequential. Just look at how the team handed Treadwell. He was cut just prior to the season (August 31st) the final year of his rookie deal. It’s reasonable to assume Hughes gets similar treatment barring his medicals pointing to a medical retirement or at least significant time away from the game to rehab. 

Edited by RpMc
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Hughes (if healthy) will no doubt be back on the team next year. As a rookie he showed some promise, and then it’s been a mixed bag. But I think bringing in a veteran CB is absolutely necessary, even an average type player. 
 

Also, I’m on the bandwagon to take a QB in the 1st this year. So I’ll be pulling hard for that even though I know it’s unlikely. Getting Trey Lance is my wish right now. Other 3 will be gone top 5. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...