2 hours ago, RpMc said:

He’s set to make $3.1M next year, and by cutting him you’d save just under $1.2. Not sure where you got your numbers.

Again, not consequential enough when you figure that at least a VSB deal would go to a veteran player to replace him as a depth player going in to the draft. That’s $850k against the cap before any additional signing bonus benefits are factored in.

320k in cap space isn’t worth cutting Hughes from the roster when he’s a better dice roll than a lot of players available in the pool, and he’s familiar with the scheme.

I too expect the Vikings to select a rookie or two at the position, they always do, but having Hughes on the roster in training camp doesn’t dissuade that, nor does cutting him prior to camp give us anything consequential. Just look at how the team handed Treadwell. He was cut just prior to the season (August 31st) the final year of his rookie deal. It’s reasonable to assume Hughes gets similar treatment barring his medicals pointing to a medical retirement or at least significant time away from the game to rehab. 

Cutting Mike Hughes wouldn’t be a move to save a lot of money, but it would be the right move for the team, in order to give better players more reps. Like I said, I think Dantzler, Gladney, Hand and Boyd are more promising. I’m just saying if we draft a cornerback or two, Hughes is expendable. Even if that means we won’t save much money by cutting him, we still need to have our best players on the field. 

12 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

Cutting Mike Hughes wouldn’t be a move to save a lot of money, but it would be the right move for the team, in order to give better players more reps. Like I said, I think Dantzler, Gladney, Hand and Boyd are more promising. I’m just saying if we draft a cornerback or two, Hughes is expendable. Even if that means we won’t save much money by cutting him, we still need to have our best players on the field. 

I'd hold onto him through the preseason and if he shows nothing, then we consider cutting him. Maybe he has some trade value, but I'm not so sure.

15 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

What are y’all’s thoughts on signing DT Roy Robertson-Harris from the Bears? He shouldn’t be expensive & could make an immediate difference on this team. 

He would be a solid addition.

Personally, I’d like to see Solomon Thomas brought in. 

On 1/8/2021 at 3:27 PM, CWood21 said:

You take Justin Fields and run with it.

Nope . . . first and foremost the Offensive skill positions aren't broke on the Vikings.  The O-line is.  The D-line is.  Fix those first.  

Then, you'd have the issue of Cousins' guaranteed contract to resolve next year, when Fields would presumably be ready to go . . . do you really want a Philly-style fiasco?

17 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

What are y’all’s thoughts on signing DT Roy Robertson-Harris from the Bears? He shouldn’t be expensive & could make an immediate difference on this team. 

In the case of any FA signing, I'm hoping the Vikes are focused on in-house resources.  Now, a back-up on Chicago's line might be much better than our guys when you consider who's forcing him to sit.  For me, keep a couple of the young in-house guys like Watts and Lynch, but draft a stud rookie with your 1st Rd pick.  I realize OG carries the same weight as DT this year on most draft boards . . . Personally, I feel like they could get an impact OG in Rd 3 easier than getting that impact DT.  

If Patterson's plan works on the D-Line again, he'll have Pierce back and Lynch will have grown by a full season and off-season.  Sadly, I think Johnson and Stephen are maybe done in purple.   Mata'afa and Holmes aren't far from the doorstep either, but I think they're still on rookie contracts.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

In the case of any FA signing, I'm hoping the Vikes are focused on in-house resources.  Now, a back-up on Chicago's line might be much better than our guys when you consider who's forcing him to sit.  For me, keep a couple of the young in-house guys like Watts and Lynch, but draft a stud rookie with your 1st Rd pick.  I realize OG carries the same weight as DT this year on most draft boards . . . Personally, I feel like they could get an impact OG in Rd 3 easier than getting that impact DT.  

If Patterson's plan works on the D-Line again, he'll have Pierce back and Lynch will have grown by a full season and off-season.  Sadly, I think Johnson and Stephen are maybe done in purple.   Mata'afa and Holmes aren't far from the doorstep either, but I think they're still on rookie contracts.

Do they have one success at drafting an OL past round 2? This front office stinks, stinks, at drafting OL. Awful.  If they pass in round 1 or 2, if they get a second, they should just not draft an OL. Because it will be a wasted pick. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Nope . . . first and foremost the Offensive skill positions aren't broke on the Vikings.  The O-line is.  The D-line is.  Fix those first.  

Then, you'd have the issue of Cousins' guaranteed contract to resolve next year, when Fields would presumably be ready to go . . . do you really want a Philly-style fiasco?

Passing on what would be BPA to fill a need has never bitten any GM in the arse before.  And trading Kirk Cousins after the 2021 season saves the Vikings $35M.  Comparing this to the Carson Wentz sitaution is an awful take.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Passing on what would be BPA to fill a need has never bitten any GM in the arse before.  And trading Kirk Cousins after the 2021 season saves the Vikings $35M.  Comparing this to the Carson Wentz sitaution is an awful take.

Who is trading for Cousins at that price?  

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Who is trading for Cousins at that price?  

A team acquiring Cousins would only be on the hook for 1 year, $35M.  That's not really a crazy price tag.  I'm not saying Minnesota would garner a big return for him, but I'd imagine they'd get a team or two interested.  Or they could straight release him and the savings and dead cap are the same as being traded.

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

A team acquiring Cousins would only be on the hook for 1 year, $35M.  That's not really a crazy price tag.  I'm not saying Minnesota would garner a big return for him, but I'd imagine they'd get a team or two interested.  Or they could straight release him and the savings and dead cap are the same as being traded.

The last statement is not true at all. In your scenario, Cousins in the Vikings in 2021 which means his 2022 year salary becomes fully guaranteed (happens on the third day of the 2021 league year). If he’s traded, the Vikings would only take the dead hit from the prorated signing bonus. If he’s cut, they’d gain no cap relief whatsoever.

Only what’s already “been paid” hits the cap in the event of a trade. 

Edited by RpMc
2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

The last statement is not true at all. In your scenario, Cousins in the Vikings in 2021 which means his 2022 year becomes fully guaranteed. If he’s traded, the Vikings would only take the dead hit from the prorated signing bonus. If he’s cut, they’d gain no cap relief whatsoever.

Only what’s already “been paid” hits the cap in the event of a trade. 

Missed the fine print.  But even being stuck with Kirk Cousins for another year isn't a dealbreaker.

1 hour ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I disagree. We need new blood. This past year we relied on young guys stepping up and it backfired. We can’t go into next season relying on young unproved players to step up, that’s a recipe for disaster. Need some proven role type players who can start.  This staff & front office can’t afford to roll the dice on unproven players next season at DT. And young rookie DTs usually aren’t immediate impact players as rookies. I think sign a DT & draft one in the 3rd/4th. Johnson & Stephen shouldn’t even be on the team next year. Lynch has pass rush potential but he got pushed around in the run game, Watts was really inconsistent & Pierce may come into camp at 400 pounds. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No, actually the Philly situation is exactly what you're talking about.  Philly didn't have a quality back-up, so they drafted one, after awarding Wentz a major contract.  Then, their offensive line gets decimated and all of a sudden a rookie's the answer?  If you want another unstable year with a poor record, draft the BPA in Fields.  For the most part, this is a win-now league, isn't it?  Do I think Fields could be an awesome NFL QB, yes.  Do I think he could go the way of Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Jamarcus Russell and Dwayne Haskins, I have no idea, but the possibility exists.  

On the flip, would drafting Fields be similar to the Pack drafing Rodgers or Love or the Niners drafting Kap?  Things worked out better-than-ok for the Pack with Rodgers sitting 3 years, so there is concrete proof it can work.  

1 hour ago, Eric dunn said:

I disagree. We need new blood. This past year we relied on young guys stepping up and it backfired. We can’t go into next season relying on young unproved players to step up, that’s a recipe for disaster. Need some proven role type players who can start.  This staff & front office can’t afford to roll the dice on unproven players next season at DT. And young rookie DTs usually aren’t immediate impact players as rookies. I think sign a DT & draft one in the 3rd/4th. Johnson & Stephen shouldn’t even be on the team next year. Lynch has pass rush potential but he got pushed around in the run game, Watts was really inconsistent & Pierce may come into camp at 400 pounds. 

The new blood opted out due to COVID, right?  I think Pierce would've covered up a lot of holes.  I don't know how much conspiracy theory goes into running multi-million dollar businesses, but had Pierce played, would've Kendricks been out the last 4 games?  I think the domino of Hunter's tweaked neck and Pierce started a downfall in the defense that we all see as a travesty.  

When we look at Aaron Donald (who I wanted in lieu of Barr), Fletcher Cox, Buckner, Kevin Williams, Tuck . . . they all contributed as rookies.  There were a few rookie DTs that have introduced themselves to the league this year.  We need one of those next year, don't we?