2021 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

I'm taking BPA in the first round. Let the other rounds figure out our needs. 

What does BPA mean?  Either way the Ravens with how that center looked last night will be drafting Myers or Humphrey so there is another IOL gone, and Rams would be taking a OT as well since Whitworth is most likely retiring but there pick goes to the Jaguars.  

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

What does BPA mean?  Either way the Ravens with how that center looked last night will be drafting Myers or Humphrey so there is another IOL gone, and Rams would be taking a OT as well since Whitworth is most likely retiring but there pick goes to the Jaguars.  

I’d say it means if there is someone elite, they are in play. Really outside corner, RB, C, and ILB, everything is really in play if there is someone “elite.” FA will trim this list down a little.

QB- unlikely but people want to move on from Cousins. Considering teams need QBs you could probably flip him.

WR- unlikely but there are some studs and Thelien is in the twig light 

TE- possible especially with the #1 in the class

OT/OG-one or two openings if reiff is gone

DE/DT- both have an opening 

OLB- might move off Barr and there is one hole 

CB-unlikely but possible 

S-Harris is probably gone

On 1/15/2021 at 9:35 AM, Cearbhall said:

I would give up Kirk Cousins and three first round draft picks for Watson. Then we wouldn't have to worry about who is available at 14 and instead can talk about what the team will do with their picks after the second round.

Welcome to the group, Mr Mike Lynn.

Ask Mike Ditka how these types of trades work out.  Oh, the history of nonsensical trades.  . . . Kills me lol.   

Now, Cousins and Barr for Watson, while keeping the 1st Rd pick?    Hmmmm, there's some cap relief.  

8 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Ask Mike Ditka how these types of trades work out.  Oh, the history of nonsensical trades.  . . . Kills me lol.   

Now, Cousins and Barr for Watson, while keeping the 1st Rd pick?    Hmmmm, there's some cap relief.  

Houston has no way to take on both contracts, and if they could, even they aren’t dysfunctional enough to make that horrible of a trade. 

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I am willing to go out on a limb and say that the trade that I suggested is closer to what the Texans would get in a trade than the trade you suggested. It isn't cheap to get a young QB that began his career on a hall of fame trajectory. If you want one, you are going to have to pay the price. Otherwise, don't complain about not having such a QB.

Team's have given up two first round picks for college kids when they haven't even seen how their skills transfer to the NFL. Look at what the Redskins gave up to get RGIII. They gave away a sixth, a second round pick, and two other first round picks. They would have been far better off trading three first round picks for Watson than three firsts and a second for an unproven rookie. Not only that, but their first round pick at 6 is far more valuable than the Vikings first round pick at 14.

The Texans have a good chance of getting a bid higher than what I said I would give up.

But if mocking what I would be willing to trade for Watson makes you feel good, have at it. That's fine.

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

No true combine this year is going to make this draft very interesting. Especially when it comes to the players who didn’t put anything on tape this past season. 

Today being the last day for recruits to declare... I wonder if some players are taking that into account. 

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I am willing to go out on a limb and say that the trade that I suggested is closer to what the Texans would get in a trade than the trade you suggested. It isn't cheap to get a young QB that began his career on a hall of fame trajectory. If you want one, you are going to have to pay the price. Otherwise, don't complain about not having such a QB.

Team's have given up two first round picks for college kids when they haven't even seen how their skills transfer to the NFL. Look at what the Redskins gave up to get RGIII. They gave away a sixth, a second round pick, and two other first round picks. They would have been far better off trading three first round picks for Watson than three firsts and a second for an unproven rookie. Not only that, but their first round pick at 6 is far more valuable than the Vikings first round pick at 14.

The Texans have a good chance of getting a bid higher than what I said I would give up.

But if mocking what I would be willing to trade for Watson makes you feel good, have at it. That's fine.

I realize Watson's good, but HOF is a bit early for him.   What I'm saying is if you pay that price, you mortgage the team.   Watson can't block for himself, nor defend the other teams WRs.    Its been proven time and again that piling several picks for one player is a bad move.   

Watson has a no-trade clause, so he gets to pick where he goes, right?    The Texans will get what they can, and as much as they can.   If I were them, I'd be on the phone to Urban Meyer as a starting point.   

Miami's the other team with some ammo that makes sense.  

The Vikes?   I don't see the option to mortgage the future even if you transfer Cousins' contract.    Your best QBs are typically homegrown.   Drew Brees and ??? would be FA exceptions.   

On 1/17/2021 at 8:19 AM, TENINCH said:

I'm taking BPA in the first round. Let the other rounds figure out our needs. 

You'd take a WR over a starting OL, because he's got a higher grade? Or over a DE or DT that would be good, if not great? How do you propose fixing the roster, with no 2nd, then?

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

The poster said they'd take BPA, regardless of position......basically. I'm asking if they'd take a WR over a starting DT or OL.

If there's a tier difference, you should.  But again, it's not always that black and white.  Let's say the Vikings are sitting there at 14, and one of DeVonta Smith or JaMarr Chase are available, what do you do?  Do you take that WR?  Do you pass on the WR and take someone who is graded lower?  Or do you look to trade offers.  LIS, it's not a black and white discussion.  There's multiple layers to it.

• Like 1

Chargers could very well go OT and take Slater and move Bulaga inside.  Then Arizona obviously needs OL help. Raiders could go DT absolutely in their selection.  Chicago and Indianapolis I have both taking OL, Tennessee could go OL as well but might steal Azeez there instead.  Pittsburgh could go OL if Big Ben comes back but if not probably go QB.  Jacksonville could be going DL especially DT in their spot, same with Cleveland who could go DT and Baltimore could go OG also.  

So both need positions for the Vikings could be going fast after they select and the bottom of the 1st round is not even done.  

PS Rams defense hit Aaron Rodgers 1 time and sacked him zero times compared to Jared Goff being sacked 4 times and hit 7 times.  To say that has nothing to do with the game, well yeah it does.  Only reason Drew Brees with a recently collapsed lung has been serviceable at his age, especially this year is because that OL is quite standout and has three 1st round picks, a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder and all have turned out to be fine players.  Brees does not have that you can end his career maybe 3-5 years ago.