2021 Draft Talk

swede700

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

If Justin Fields/Zach Wilson fell to 14, do you take him?

Yes i would take one of them. 

If one is there at #14, we might not see a future 1st being part of a return package, unless it's from a playoff team (with low 1st to start) or a team without a current 1st

4 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The Chiefs took a QB and didn’t have to start all over. They could have kept what was comfortable in Smith. You absolutely can’t refuse a QB if one of those two grade out as franchise caliber QBs. Doesn’t matter  what the other needs are, nothing comes close to the long term outlook of QB and Cousins isn’t it with that cap hit.

100%

If you don't have a legit franchise QB, taking what you feel grades out to being your next franchise QB should be rightfully prioritized over all other "holes/needs".

I would say a teams chance of winning, any given Sunday, is determined ~40% by QB play alone. 

19 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

You'd take a WR over a starting OL, because he's got a higher grade? Or over a DE or DT that would be good, if not great? How do you propose fixing the roster, with no 2nd, then?

Drafting on need is why we ended up with up with Anthony Barr instead of Aaron Donald. 

Thielen isn't going to last many more years so if a Ja'Marr Chase or a DeVonta Smith I wouldn't love it but I definitely wouldn't hate it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That is very, very, very much revisionist history. 

Yes, because that's completely untrue.  Barr and Donald were in the same tier...most of us thought that Barr was going to be more of a 3-4 OLB though than what he is.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

Yeah same here. He would’ve easily been a first round pick. Don’t know why he would pass that up. Maybe he thinks he can go top 10 next year? 

Speaking of WRs, I think there will be some nice receivers available in the middle rounds and we desperately need a solid #3 WR. I like Seth Williams, Dyami Brown and Jonathan Adams. I think Adams would be a great fit because he is great at stretching the field, high pointing the ball and catching away from his body. Also he might be the best blocking WR in the draft. Jonathan Adams in round 4. You heard it here first. 🙏🏼

I like Seth Williams too but think he goes before we are ready to pick a WR.  Priority of WR3 competition may depend on our new OC but I think they try keep the same system. 

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Drafting on need is why we ended up with up with Anthony Barr instead of Aaron Donald. 

Thielen isn't going to last many more years so if a Ja'Marr Chase or a DeVonta Smith I wouldn't love it but I definitely wouldn't hate it.

So, how does the OL or DL or S get fixed then? Because it's a team game, not a matchup of individuals like the NBA. Would you take a WR over a starting DL or OL?

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

So, how does the OL or DL or S get fixed then? Because it's a team game, not a matchup of individuals like the NBA. Would you take a WR over a starting DL or OL?

The Draft is a lottery. Take the closest to a sure thing regardless of needs and fill out these in the later rounds. If that's Tucker then great you've filled a need. 

Theilen is 30 years old so if a JaMarr Chase falls and the linemen the Vikings were looking at have been taken yeah I'll wouldn't hate it if the Vikings take another possible good WR.

6 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

If the WR was better than the OL or DL? Absolutely. 

How many people criticized the Jefferson pick because it wasn’t OL? Would you rather have Jefferson? Or would you rather have Cesar Ruiz, or Isaiah Wilson?

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

OTC projection of the comp picks are a 4th for Waynes and a 6th for Alexander...

https://overthecap.com/projecting-the-2021-compensatory-picks/

I still don't totally understand their projections.  Bryan Bulaga's AAV was $10M and he's a projected 5th round compensatory pick, Kendall Fuller and Jamie Collins were both $10M AAV as well but they're 4th round picks.

EDIT: Either that group moves to the 5th together, or they're all 4ths.

40 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I still don't totally understand their projections.  Bryan Bulaga's AAV was $10M and he's a projected 5th round compensatory pick, Kendall Fuller and Jamie Collins were both $10M AAV as well but they're 4th round picks.

EDIT: Either that group moves to the 5th together, or they're all 4ths.

There is more to it than average value. It is revealed now as it was spelled out in the most recent CBA. See Appendix V.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/website/PDFs/CBA/March-15-2020-NFL-NFLPA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement-Final-Executed-Copy.pdf

In particular:

• (b) All players shall be assigned additional points based on honors or participation, as follows:
  1. (1) Selected 1st Team ALL NFL by PFWA or 1st Team ALL PRO by AP: 20 points.
  2. (2) Selected All Conference by PFWA (except if selected ALL NFL or ALL PRO above): 5 points.
  3. (3) One point for each percent of the total offensive/defensive plays in which the player participated (excluding special teams) provided that the player participated in a minimum of 25% of the offensive/ defensive plays (excluding special teams). For example: 67% participation equals 67 points, 0% to 24.99% participation equals no points. Exception: in the case of punters and place-kickers, 1 point will be awarded for each punt attempted and 1 point for each punt inside the 20-yard line during the regular season for the punters, and 2 points for each field goal attempted and 1 point for each field goal made during the regular season for place-kickers.

• (c) The sum of the numerical values in (a) and (b) above shall represent each player’s Final Numerical Value.
  • (d) Each CFA’s Final Numerical Value shall be measured in percentile terms against all players’ Final Numerical Values to determine the position of a Club’s Compensatory Draft Selection, if any.

Edited by Cearbhall