2021 Draft Talk

swede700

19 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Its not a big need, but we'll likely need a 3rd TE if/when we move on from Kyle Rudolph.

Do we use a late round pick on the position, go with a UDFA or just keep Brandon Dillion around?

See how the board falls. If there's a dropper in the 5th, 6th or 7th, I have no problem at all taking one. At that point in the draft, it's not like you're planning to find a starter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RpMc said:

14 could see one of...

Kyle Pitts
Trey Lance/Justin Fields
DeVonta Smith/Jaylen Waddle
Patrick Surtain Jr/Caleb Farley

.... being available and a team wanting to get one of the big 3 WR's, top 2 CB's, remaining top tier QB, or the top TE

If Lance or Fields are available, and they don't take them, I'll be quite upset. I know we have Kirk. I know we need to help Kirk. I know that his contract runs for two more season, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't add a Franchise QB if he's available. 

Heck, Green Bay has a sure fire Hall of Famer (which Kirk will never be) and they did it. We cannot pass on "The Guy" because we have "a guy."

34 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If Lance or Fields are available, and they don't take them, I'll be quite upset. I know we have Kirk. I know we need to help Kirk. I know that his contract runs for two more season, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't add a Franchise QB if he's available. 

Heck, Green Bay has a sure fire Hall of Famer (which Kirk will never be) and they did it. We cannot pass on "The Guy" because we have "a guy."

If the team passes on Lance or Fields it’s highly probably that they don’t see them as “the guy”, however. 

That said, I too would be quite upset. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Jaguars send 25 and 33 to Minnesota for 14 and 90. Jaguars pair Lawrence with Pitts/Waddle/Smith, etc.

Vikings nab Wyatt Davis and Nixon. 

Switch Wyatt Davis for Alijah Vera-Tucker and I’ll take it. I’d like to keep our #90 pick as well. I really hope we trade back. So much talent in the middle rounds of this draft. I like Daviyon Nixon a lot and I also like the corners Gary Newsome and Eric Stokes. Hope we can get one of those guys as well. I’d settle for Rodarious Williams too. We need a true number 2 outside corner. I think Gladney operates best in the slot. Dantzler and Newsome on the boundary with Gladney and Hughes at nickel would be amazing. 

Edited by Purplepride323

On 1/27/2021 at 10:22 AM, RpMc said:

Four Senior Bowl Players that could be good fits for us getting pretty rave reviews

G/T - Dillon Radunz (NDSU)
C/G - Quinn Meinerz (UW - Whitewater)

EDGE - Ade Ogundeji (Notre Dame - ridiculous arm length/strength on the edge so far)
S - Richie Grant (UCF)

I think Trey Smith could be added to that list.   From everything I've read, he locked down a lot of opponents.  Sounds like the dude from WA was pretty impressive at DT.

Also, the comments on Max Borgi are correct . . . He'll be every bitCMC, Alvin Kamara and Dalvin Cook.  I think he was a junior this year at WSU . . . Did he declare?

10 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

What if Jordan Love is not “the guy”? I really like Justin Fields & Trey Lance, but if we get a big trade offer (later 1st round pick, plus a second and third) I don’t think we should pass that up. That’s 3 potential starters, versus one potential franchise QB. Usually the best QBs don’t even win the Super Bowl. Besides Patrick Mahomes winning it last year, can’t remember the last time the best QB in the league at the time won. Maybe Peyton Manning with the Colts? What I’m basically saying is, it’s a team game, and what good is getting a great QB if we don’t have a great team around him? I would trade a great QB, for a great LG, DT and CB. That’s what we can have if we get more picks in rounds 2 and 3. 

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Franchise QB >>>>>>>>>>> Any other 3 starters

The only way we get a franchise QB is trading for Watson. Fields might get there someday. Lance is far from being a franchise QB.. 

I’m  gonna be watching a 43 year old goat who  never scrambles play in his 10th SB. 

i don’t want any part of a QB that wants to run for a 1st down every other play. Again ( for the 100th time) QB’s are paid to throw the ball.. smart QB’s who do scramble should always slide. Wilson is the perfect example.. 

look at last week. The top QB’s ( Rodgers, Mahomes, and Brady ) had a total of 4 rushing yards... all smart QB’s that have been and will be around for a long time.

Edited by Vikes22

18 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Franchise QB >>>>>>>>>>> Any other 3 starters

A franchise QB on a bad team will either get injured (e.g. Burrow), lose confidence (e.g. Sam Darnold), or eventually ask to get traded (Deshaun Watson). Also, a great team can make an average QB look great. Nick Foles is a career back-up who won a Super Bowl with the Eagles not too long ago. I would much rather build a great team through the draft, than gamble on a QB’s potential. It’s basically suicide for a “franchise QB” to be on a bad team. Not even Trevor Lawrence can turn a franchise around by himself. It’s a team sport. If Nick Foles can win a Super Bowl with a great team, so can Kirk Cousins. I think with a better pass-rush and better offensive line protection, our team would be great next year. Those are the two main things we need to address through the draft.