2021 Draft Talk

swede700

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm a Pitt homer but I really like Patrick Jones. He's a DE that can make a difference.

Is he worth it at 1.14 or could we move back to get him?

We can probably get him in the 3rd and even the 4th round. In those rounds I also like DE Jordan Smith, DT Jaylen Twyman and maybe even DE Rashad Weaver if he falls. All of those guys will improve our pass rush. My favorite DE in the draft is Jaelan Phillips. Hope we can trade back and pick up a 2nd rounder to get him. 

• Like 1

Dillon Radunz and Elerson Smith, two local Minnesota kids who are playing great in the Senior Bowl.  Smith could be a steal mid round pick, huge DE with strength and power.  Radunz has shut down his size at OT and if he could convert to OG that would be great.  I have also liked how Spencer Brown has looked but might not be a fit in Minnesota.  Sadly both Radunz and Brown will be gone before the Vikings pick in the 3rd.

Cameron Sample is a DT I would love mid to late rounds, has a big time motor and gives great effort and can get after the passer.  

Either way the picks of Rousseau I would not mind if he works out well at the pro day athletically.  Barmore will be interesting though as well at 14 if they do not like a OL there.  Leatherwood I would love in terms of versatility if he is around but if Slater goes to Dallas then Leatherwood could go to the Chargers.  

Draft Network Mock Draft with some trades.  I think Rousseau, Myers, and Moehring could start Day 1 with some other developmental talent in the trenches.  Could have probably added a LB but I think they resign Davis and will remain mainly nickel as their base anyway.

Gregory Rousseau
EDGE,

Trevon Moehrig
S,

Josh Myers
IOL,

Marvin Wilson
IDL,

Jaylen Twyman
IDL,

Thomas Graham Jr.
CB,

Dazz Newsome
WR,

Caden Sterns
S,

Cole Van Lanen
OT,

Alaric Jackson
OT,

Luke Farrell
TE,

Tamorrion Terry
WR,

I really hope we trade back and pick a 2nd round pick. I would love to walk away with a OG and DT in the 1st 2 rounds.

I believe we will sign a decent free agent this year as well. There will be cuts again and I also think 3-4 guys will restructure there contracts to free up money. 

I would go after Trey Hendrickson and would offer him a 5 year deal. Pairing him will Hunter would give us one of the best tandems in the league.

Then, in the draft, I would trade back around 22-25 and pick up a 2nd round pick.I would take Leatherwood in the 1st. Then, I’m trading our 2nd round pick along with a 3rd and 4th and moving up for Barmore. 

Reiff, leatherwood, Bradbury, Cleveland, O’Neill on Offense...

Hendrickson, Pierce, Barmore, Hunter on defense.

These 3 moves could be a huge boost to our team for years and I believe it puts us right up there to compete for the SB..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vikes22 said:

I really hope we trade back and pick a 2nd round pick. I would love to walk away with a OG and DT in the 1st 2 rounds.

I believe we will sign a decent free agent this year as well. There will be cuts again and I also think 3-4 guys will restructure there contracts to free up money. 

I would go after Trey Hendrickson and would offer him a 5 year deal. Pairing him will Hunter would give us one of the best tandems in the league.

Then, in the draft, I would trade back around 22-25 and pick up a 2nd round pick.I would take Leatherwood in the 1st. Then, I’m trading our 2nd round pick along with a 3rd and 4th and moving up for Barmore. 

Reiff, leatherwood, Bradbury, Cleveland, O’Neill on Offense...

Hendrickson, Pierce, Barmore, Hunter on defense.

These 3 moves could be a huge boost to our team for years and I believe it puts us right up there to compete for the SB..

I'd love that. Although, I could see us going for a veteran CB to pair with Dantzler on the outside so that we can move Gladney to the nickle position full time.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'd love that. Although, I could see us going for a veteran CB to pair with Dantzler on the outside so that we can move Gladney to the nickle position full time.

That would work. But, if we can actually get a pass rush, I think Gladney and Dantzler could do really well together. I would add a S and CB in the draft as well. Even after my trade up, we still have a 3rd, 2 4th’s, and 2 5th’s. Plus, we will probably pick a comp pick the 4th round. We should still get some good depth and maybe even find a starter in the later draft.

• Like 1

I would be happy with any of these dudes honestly at DT and at least one should be there in the 3rd.  Barmore I am tempted to get instead of Rousseau 1st round but Rousseau if he works out well would be hard to pass up.  Barmore I do not see dropping out of the 1st but if he does no way he gets out of the 2nd.  Same with Twyman honestly.  Onwuzurike I like but again is probably gone by the 2nd and so is Nixon.  Tufele I think could be around in the 3rd and would love him there, Sample I would not mind in the 3rd or 4th same with Stills.  

So at least the Vikings have options at DT.

Christian Barmore Alabama RS SOPH
Jaylen Twyman Pitt RS JR
Levi Onwuzurike Washington RS
Daviyon Nixon Iowa JR
Jay Tufele USC JR
Marvin Wilson Florida State
Cameron Sample Tulane
Darius Stills West Virginia

At guard it is not as deep and most will be gone by the 1st round, especially if one looks at Mayfield and Carman as guards.  I think they maybe have a play on Royce Newman in the 3rd or Meinerz but will see how he times out.  Obviously is a badass dude but not sure he is a scheme fit, and Hainsey is super versatile but might be more a 4th or 5th rounder.  

Alex Leatherwood Alabama
Wyatt Davis Ohio State RS JR
Jalen Mayfield Michigan RS SOPH
Alijah Vera-Tucker USC RS JR
Christian Darrisaw Virginia Tech JR
Jackson Carman Clemson JR
Landon Dickerson Alabama RS
Royce Newman Ole Miss RS
Quinn Meinerz Wisconsin-Whitewater
Robert Hainsey Notre Dame
Conner Olson Minnesota RS

So might be smart to go OG 1st round but Leatherwood and Wyatt Davis are the only two in play and Leatherwood could be gone to the Chargers easily.  They pass on both they should all be gone by the 3rd no doubt.  DT depth is a lot more promising with many guys who could all drop to the 2nd or 3rd round possibly.  

Ozzie . . . why keep omitting Aaron Banks and Trey Smith from OG consideration at this stage?  The guys were touted as one of the top 3 guards at the Senior Bowl, and they held up against Clemson and Alabama DLs this year.  He's very similar to Trey Smith, massively wide, strong in both run and pass pro . . . now, do these guys run fast?  Nope, but they both move their feet in the tight space they defend . . . and most importantly, it takes extra steps to get around these two.  Now, if they run 5.5 and broadjump 88" ok, 6th Rd flyers.  If they bench 30+ reps, run 5.2/5.3, and kick it in the jumps, I think we're looking at "what's their psychy?" as 2/3rd rounders. 

Yes, I think a Rousseau at DE, Davis at OG or maybe Barmore would be good picks in Rd 1.  I'm not real enamoured with the DTs at this stage . . . and it's a huge need for the Vikes, I think.

At DE, the Vikes have some young talent, but if you can add a 6' 7" guy like Rousseau in the 1st or Elerson Smith in the 3rd/4th, you do it.  Justin Tuck totally dominated games at the Giants from the DT spot when he wasn't fast enough to beat Strahan or JPP for an end job.  Rousseau could be the next Julius Peppers and Smith the next Jared Allen . . . This squad needs that.  

My out of the box thinking is Who's Desperate for Picks?  If Houston's really in reload mode and they manage to get 4 draft picks and 2 young starters for Watson, do they hold the band together?  Can't help but imagine how sending one 3rd and two 4ths this year to them for JJ would work, but if he couldn't hold down the 3T next to Pierce, we'd be hosed.  Of course salary's the other consideration.       

Who's your best 5 for the Vikes current 4th and 5th Round Picks?

If they've already filled DT, OG and LB/DE, I'm curious if it could go:

D'Wayne Eskridge, WR

Ben Mason, FB

Hamsah Nasirildeen, S

Cade Johnson, WR

Ian Book, QB

I could see the Vikes drop back in Rd 1 and pick up a 2nd . . . maybe from the Jets?  They move from 23 to 14 and give the Vikes #34.  Miami could also move up from 18 and give up #50.  Either would be good opportunities . . . the possibilities are endless . . . lol.  

1 hour ago, ArcticNorseman said:

D'Wayne Eskridge, WR

Ben Mason, FB

Hamsah Nasirildeen, S

Cade Johnson, WR

Ian Book, QB

I could see the Vikes drop back in Rd 1 and pick up a 2nd . . . maybe from the Jets?  They move from 23 to 14 and give the Vikes #34.  Miami could also move up from 18 and give up #50.  Either would be good opportunities . . . the possibilities are endless . . . lol.  

I’d love that Jets trade. With the 23rd pick I’d take either Slater or Vera-Tucker. Then with the 34th pick I’d take Jaelan Phillips. That solves our O-Line problem and our pass-rush problem. Then with our two 3rd rounders I’d like the best available CB (Newsome, Stokes, Gowan) and the best available DT (Nixon, Wilson, Twyman, Tufele) any one of those guys would be day one contributors, if not starters. 

In the 4th I think we should look for depth at WR, Safety and LB. Seth Williams, Richie Grant and Garret Wallow are some of my favorite 4th round prospects. I don’t think Nasirildeen would fall to the 4th round, but if he does, we have to take him. 

Edited by Purplepride323

8 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

D'Wayne Eskridge, WR

Ben Mason, FB

Hamsah Nasirildeen, S

Cade Johnson, WR

Ian Book, QB

Richie Grant (might go higher)

Onwuzirike (same)

Kellen Mond

TDN Mock

* Trade with Miami (14 for 18 + 81)
* Trade with New York Jets (170 + 78 for 66)

1.18 - Rashawn Slater - OL - Northwestern
3.66 - Marlon Tuipulotu - DT - USC
3.81 - Jackson Carman - OL - Clemson
3.90 - Paris Ford - S - Pittsburgh
4.118 - Ade Ogundeji - DE - Notre Dame
4.124 - Jaylen Twyman - DT - Pittsburgh
4.134 - Dazz Newsome - WR - North Carolina
4.142 - Deommodore Lenoir - CB - Oregon
5.157 - Elerson Smith - DE - Northern Iowa
6.195 - Khalil Herbert - RB - Virginia Tech
6.220 - Paddy Fisher - LB - Northwestern
7.238 - Tamorrion Terry - WR - Florida State

-----

Like the trenches? Like when the Vikings used to draft teammates?  This is the draft for you.

• Like 1