2021 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

TDN Mock

* Trade with Miami (14 for 18 + 81)
* Trade with New York Jets (170 + 78 for 66)

1.18 - Rashawn Slater - OL - Northwestern
3.66 - Marlon Tuipulotu - DT - USC
3.81 - Jackson Carman - OL - Clemson
3.90 - Paris Ford - S - Pittsburgh
4.118 - Ade Ogundeji - DE - Notre Dame
4.124 - Jaylen Twyman - DT - Pittsburgh
4.134 - Dazz Newsome - WR - North Carolina
4.142 - Deommodore Lenoir - CB - Oregon
5.157 - Elerson Smith - DE - Northern Iowa
6.195 - Khalil Herbert - RB - Virginia Tech
6.220 - Paddy Fisher - LB - Northwestern
7.238 - Tamorrion Terry - WR - Florida State

-----

Like the trenches? Like when the Vikings used to draft teammates?  This is the draft for you.

I liked it when the Vikings drafted Randall McDaniel and Todd Kalis.    Derrick Alexander and Corey Fuller didn't work out quite as well...and don't get me started on Shawn Worthen and Cedric James.

• Like 1

It’s the 4th round and the following WRs are available. Who do you take?

- Anthony Schwartz

- Seth Williams

- Johnathan Adams Jr.

- Romeo Doubs

- Dazz Newsome 

In my opinion any of those guys would be an upgrade over our current #3 WR. I know we just drafted the best WR last season, but since the whole league will have a game plan for Jefferson, we need that 3rd guy to be capable of doing great things too. Also Thielen has struggled to stay healthy throughout the whole season during the past couple of years, so I think our #3 guy will have to start some games. Anthony Schwartz or Seth Williams would fit in amazingly and make Jefferson’s life easier. With a dangerous 3rd receiver, Jefferson and Thielen will see more single coverage. I was just watching some Schwartz highlights, and that guy is the real deal.

Edited by Purplepride323

Just based on the modest reviews I've read of those players, the only one that I see as a fit for what the Vikings do is Williams...and to a lesser degree, Schwartz.  I wouldn't take Newsome, because the last thing they need is another slot receiver, which is what he is.

16 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Just based on the modest reviews I've read of those players, the only one that I see as a fit for what the Vikings do is Williams...and to a lesser degree, Schwartz.  I wouldn't take Newsome, because the last thing they need is another slot receiver, which is what he is.

Schwartz is sort of like a smaller, faster Jefferson. Great hands, great footwork and great speed. He also aligns in the slot as well as the boundary. You can put him anywhere. The thing about good slot receivers is, they usually do well on the outside as well. Jefferson played primarily in the slot during his senior year, and he proved he can be just as good on the boundary in the NFL. I think it’s actually harder to play in the slot than it is to play on the outside, because there is a lot more traffic through the middle. On the outside, it’s just you and the CB most of the time. So Dazz Newsome being a slot guy is actually a compliment in my opinion. 

Currently doing a 4 round mock draft and have the Vikings getting these guys.  Not totally sold on the Rousseau pick yet, need to see him workout and prove just how athletic he is, if he does well it could work.  Barmore is also a major option since Leatherwood I have gone by the Vikings pick.  

1st
14 Vikings: Gregory Rousseau Miami FL RS SOPH DE

3rd
79 Vikings: Jay Tufele USC JR DT
91 Vikings (From Ravens): Royce Newman Ole Miss RS SR OG

4th
110 Vikings: Robert Hainsey Notre Dame SR OG/OT
116 Vikings (from Chicago): Jamar Johnson Indiana JR S
125 Vikings (from Buffalo): Mike Harley Miami FL SR WR

Kind of scary waiting to the 3rd and 4th to get interior OL help but Newman is solid and could be a fine guard and has played OT as well, same with Hainsey who has played OT, OG and I believe C a little or at least was at the senior bowl.  So that would help.  Mike Harley is a decent WR, little risky and not sure he is the guy there but he has big time speed.

Would be great to get Tufele in the 3rd round but that is a gamble and a half.  Sample could be an option also if he is gone or Jerome Johnson.  

1 hour ago, Purplepride323 said:

It’s the 4th round and the following WRs are available. Who do you take?

- Anthony Schwartz

- Seth Williams

- Johnathan Adams Jr.

- Romeo Doubs

- Dazz Newsome 

In my opinion any of those guys would be an upgrade over our current #3 WR. I know we just drafted the best WR last season, but since the whole league will have a game plan for Jefferson, we need that 3rd guy to be capable of doing great things too. Also Thielen has struggled to stay healthy throughout the whole season during the past couple of years, so I think our #3 guy will have to start some games. Anthony Schwartz or Seth Williams would fit in amazingly and make Jefferson’s life easier. With a dangerous 3rd receiver, Jefferson and Thielen will see more single coverage. I was just watching some Schwartz highlights, and that guy is the real deal.

Schwartz is very much a track guy and honestly has been disappointing in his career.  Seth Williams will be gone before then but would be great to have that physical size, same with Adams who is a big dude who can go up and get it, fine athlete.  Dazz's teammate Brown is better than him but he plays the game hard as well.  I think the Vikings need a burner who can stretch the field and Harley could do that.  Harley had more yards this year than Schwartz and Schwartz played with a better QB arguably.  Harley I think will have a great 40 time and show that speed.

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Schwartz is very much a track guy and honestly has been disappointing in his career.  Seth Williams will be gone before then but would be great to have that physical size, same with Adams who is a big dude who can go up and get it, fine athlete.  Dazz's teammate Brown is better than him but he plays the game hard as well.  I think the Vikings need a burner who can stretch the field and Harley could do that.  Harley had more yards this year than Schwartz and Schwartz played with a better QB arguably.  Harley I think will have a great 40 time and show that speed.

I’ll take either one of those guys. I’ve done many mock drafts and there’s always a good WR available in the 4th-5th round. I’d be pretty pissed if we don’t get one. I’ll even take a late round flyer on Tamorrion Terry. Yeah he has some personality problems but most kids from FSU do, and Dalvin Cook is the perfect guy to set him on a right path. Terry kind of reminds me of Randy Moss. Not as polished but the raw talent is there. Moss went to FSU too before he went to Marshall. It’ll be interesting if we gamble on Tamorrion Terry. Jefferson, Thielen and Terry would be scary. 

Edited by Purplepride323

Finished my 7 round mock with all the other teams included.  This is what I got for my 1st round.  Tons could change especially if Leatherwood drops to the Vikings or not, same with Slater but I have that not happening at this point.  Togiai might be a little high but could be a good value in the 3rd and if they pass on him would be hard to get a DT later.  Same with the guards but Newman and Hainsey I would like especially the versatility of Hainsey.  Jamar could be a good coverage safety opposite Harrison who can be more around the line.  Simmons could take the place for Wilson if they let him walk and could be a steal, sure athletic and strong LB similar to Wilson coming out of Cincy.  Would love Borregales in terms of a kicker then maybe could just cut Bailey but who knows if that happens.  

1st
14 Vikings: Gregory Rousseau Miami FL RS SOPH DE

3rd
79 Vikings: Tommy Togiai Ohio State JR DT
91 Vikings (From Ravens): Royce Newman Ole Miss RS SR OG

4th
110 Vikings: Robert Hainsey Notre Dame SR OG/OT
116 Vikings (from Chicago): Jamar Johnson Indiana JR S
125 Vikings (from Buffalo): Mike Harley Miami FL SR WR

5th
141 Vikings: Antjuan Simmons Michigan State SR OLB
155 Vikings (From Jacksonville): Khalil Herbert Virginia Tech RS SR RB

6th
175 Vikings: Jose Borregales Miami FL RS SR K

7th
206 Vikings: Greg Eisworth Iowa State RS SR S

Edited by Ozzy

On 2/5/2021 at 1:05 PM, cconocool said:

My thoughts right now are- Barmore or bust. 

Yeah Barmore I would really like and could argue right now I would maybe take him over Rousseau but if Rousseau works out poorly, but if he works out well athletically would be hard to pass on him for an edge guy with so much upside.  

Would love Barmore and there is not much chance he is gone before the Vikings pick, same with Rousseau unless Dallas wants another DE but they really have a lot of them with Gregory, Smith and Lawrence.  

On 2/2/2021 at 12:30 AM, ArcticNorseman said:

Ozzie . . . why keep omitting Aaron Banks and Trey Smith from OG consideration at this stage?  The guys were touted as one of the top 3 guards at the Senior Bowl, and they held up against Clemson and Alabama DLs this year.  He's very similar to Trey Smith, massively wide, strong in both run and pass pro . . . now, do these guys run fast?  Nope, but they both move their feet in the tight space they defend . . . and most importantly, it takes extra steps to get around these two.  Now, if they run 5.5 and broadjump 88" ok, 6th Rd flyers.  If they bench 30+ reps, run 5.2/5.3, and kick it in the jumps, I think we're looking at "what's their psychy?" as 2/3rd rounders. 

Yes, I think a Rousseau at DE, Davis at OG or maybe Barmore would be good picks in Rd 1.  I'm not real enamoured with the DTs at this stage . . . and it's a huge need for the Vikes, I think.

At DE, the Vikes have some young talent, but if you can add a 6' 7" guy like Rousseau in the 1st or Elerson Smith in the 3rd/4th, you do it.  Justin Tuck totally dominated games at the Giants from the DT spot when he wasn't fast enough to beat Strahan or JPP for an end job.  Rousseau could be the next Julius Peppers and Smith the next Jared Allen . . . This squad needs that.  

My out of the box thinking is Who's Desperate for Picks?  If Houston's really in reload mode and they manage to get 4 draft picks and 2 young starters for Watson, do they hold the band together?  Can't help but imagine how sending one 3rd and two 4ths this year to them for JJ would work, but if he couldn't hold down the 3T next to Pierce, we'd be hosed.  Of course salary's the other consideration.       

I like Banks and Smith but both are technically not scheme fits in a ZBS.  Would love either one, especially Banks in the middle part of the draft.  Still not sure they are athletic enough for the Vikings to take them but hopefully that changes and they just take the best OG available when they decide to draft one not so much scheme fit.

Roussueau is good but he is not Julius Peppers.  Peppers is physically the most impressive DE prospect in what 25 years or more.  The dude helped carry the UNC basketball team to the Final Four he was such a great athlete.  Think Nick Bosa or Myles Garrett could have done that?  Hell no.  Peppers is absolutely elite and physically amazing, he is a brick wall, the dude has cannons for arms and had them when he was in college.  Rousseau is absolutely not that and is very thin and has no where the build of the HOF player Peppers.  So that is a bar he will never reach honestly.  

But yes having a great DL and getting after the QB is never a bad thing.

On 2/2/2021 at 2:10 PM, RpMc said:

TDN Mock

* Trade with Miami (14 for 18 + 81)
* Trade with New York Jets (170 + 78 for 66)

1.18 - Rashawn Slater - OL - Northwestern
3.66 - Marlon Tuipulotu - DT - USC
3.81 - Jackson Carman - OL - Clemson
3.90 - Paris Ford - S - Pittsburgh
4.118 - Ade Ogundeji - DE - Notre Dame
4.124 - Jaylen Twyman - DT - Pittsburgh
4.134 - Dazz Newsome - WR - North Carolina
4.142 - Deommodore Lenoir - CB - Oregon
5.157 - Elerson Smith - DE - Northern Iowa
6.195 - Khalil Herbert - RB - Virginia Tech
6.220 - Paddy Fisher - LB - Northwestern
7.238 - Tamorrion Terry - WR - Florida State

-----

Like the trenches? Like when the Vikings used to draft teammates?  This is the draft for you.

Would love Slater no question, not sure he falls that far.  Tuipulotu I am not a huge fan of and honestly his teammate Tufele who sat out is the better player.  Carman in the 3rd, yeah not sure why they have him rated that low but would love it, same with Twyman.  Elerson Smith I like a lot and I have them getting Herbert later in the draft also just based on how he runs and getting another back outside of our top two.  Terry I would not mind but will be interesting how he works out, dude was a top 20 prospect coming into the season but clearly did not do well on a team with an awful QB.  Still he is an elite talent and will be curious where he goes.  

On 2/2/2021 at 1:03 PM, CalhounLambeau said:

Hey guys.

New draft prospect database is up. May be of some use. Doing my annual spam.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TZOcj_tU7wbWfvcfpfJAGH_C3Zn1L2YyPjL5CzZ61fo/edit#gid=821634353

Are those guessed 40 times on there?  Where you end up getting that from?  Decent lists but many have little chance at the NFL, and looking at it quickly where is Brandon Drayton on Marshall for example?  Sure had that domestic stuff earlier this season but was acquitted.  That dude can hit like a ton of bricks and is a well built safety for sure.  Not sure if you are just basis this off what high school recruiting rankings for some of the guys that have not played much?

Also the real list would be the one of what RS SR or SR college players this year are returning to school.  I have a few names that have come out and I marked down but I think technically it could be a massive amount of dudes returning to school because they can and are given a free year because of COVID-19.  Especially the guys who are not NFL prospects, why not just return, see what happens and be able to play football again and get some more free education, sounds like a great deal in a down economy.  

This game is showing the importance of protecting the QB and rushing the QB. MaHomes is running for his life and KC offense is out of sync. Brady is having time and comfortable. Vikings hopefully find another rusher either at DT or DE to pair with Hunter.   

Edited by dc_vikingfan
  • Like 2

I’m honestly not as concerned about getting an end opposite Hunter. Odenigbo didn't have as bad of a year as it seemed. His pressure numbers were actually fairly impressive given that he was double teamed at the same rate as players like Garrett and Bosa. Get Hunter and Pierce back, and those double teams are going to go elsewhere. 

So, while I wouldn’t be necessary surprised if they took an edge rusher, I’d certainly say that it’s a position that could wait until the 3rd/4th round, and that I’d focus on the o-line or defensive tackle positions. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Watching the SB and I can’t help but notice how each team is stacked at WR.

We need to draft a WR early. 

that's not the main takeaway I'd take from this game...Vikings currently have good WR1, WR2 combo..they need bit more depth which can be easily obtained with late round picks. What Vikings need from early round picks in the draft is OLinemen. Vikings need to have atleast an average OLine, something they have lacked for a while. Their recent picks haven't been great.

• Like 1