2021 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, dc_vikingfan said:

This game is showing the importance of protecting the QB and rushing the QB. MaHomes is running for his life and KC offense is out of sync. Brady is having time and comfortable. Vikings hopefully find another rusher either at DT or DE to pair with Hunter.   

Agreed, unless they are in love with Wyatt Davis, Leatherwood or Vera-Tucker or Darrisaw they should go Rousseau or Barmore.  Is a hard call because the DL talent in the 3rd is not near the OL depth which is maybe there still in the 3rd round.  Odengibo if he comes back that changes a ton of things, but if not they have some issues for sure.  Yeah would be great with Twyman falls to the 3rd round but doubt that happens honestly.

Either way OL or DL it is the way to go, but sure would be fun to get after the QB again.

In terms of winning, this is how you win, having a secondary that all got paid around this in terms of cost and all starter or played a lot in this game.  I love Harrison Smith but he and Anthony Harris get paid more themselves than all of these DBs combined.  Pretty crazy but that is a very low number for all these guys especially when a few are very good players.  Rookie contracts is where it is at getting value for high level play at a low pay rate.  

Antoine Winfield Jr $718,000

Sean Bunting $830,000

Jordan Whitehead $750,000

Jamel Dean $675,000

Mike Edwards $675,000

Carlton Davis $879,000

No one over a mil for 2020, rookie contract deals and all played great football.  Winfield arguably at times was at an All Pro level, same with Sean Bunting in the slot at times.  None cost much at all.  In this game tonight Dean played great and so did Winfield and Bunting.  

Oh and have these guys, Wirfs another who was at a All Pro level arguably even as a rookie not getting a ton of cash.  Nelson a decent rush edge guy getting paid nothing.  Stinnie I believe started and clearly gets paid not much and Godwin is a hell of a value at that number.  Not to mention stealing Fournette for $2 mil and Brown for $1.6.

Tristian Wirfs $2.3 mil

Anthony Nelson $675,000

Aaron Stinnie $675,000

Chris Godwin $821,000

Antonio Brown $1.6 mil

Leonard Fournette $2 mil

Barrett, Davis, Gronk and Suh are all free agents in 2021 each getting anywhere from $8 to $15 mil a piece.  So will see what happens next year.  Gronk was great this season and awesome in this game especially.

So clearly drafting and proper roster management is wildly important.  Sure helps having a guy who has been there before and is the obvious GOAT.  Would have been interesting what this team would have been like with all the same pieces just Winston instead of Brady.  Clearly the confidence and belief would not be at the same level with Winston obviously or the leadership or communication in general.  Still it is a fine roster put together with a great OL, great D and awesome receivers.

28 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Of course O-line and D-line are huge factors but Tom Brady has so many options.

Just off the top of my head, do we have any players who have won a super bowl on the roster? 

No.

I personally like more of the defensive line players in rounds 3-4 when compared to the OL available, so I'd target OL in the first and look at some of the DL players with our multiple 3rd/4ths.

If they can free up enough money to make a run at Sheldon Rankins in FA, that would be my #1 target.

20 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I think the Chiefs losing their LT messed their whole offense up.  How did they have a better backup than Remmers 

They were missing both starting tackles...Remmers was never intended to start in the first place at either tackle position, but was forced in at RT when Schwartz got injured a couple of months ago...and now with Fisher's injury, that made it worse, since their backup for Remmers is truly an OG, not a OT.  They had about as much depth as the Vikings did.   

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They were missing both starting tackles...Remmers was never intended to start in the first place at either tackle position, but was forced in at RT when Schwartz got injured a couple of months ago...and now with Fisher's injury, that made it worse, since their backup for Remmers is truly an OG, not a OT.  They had about as much depth as the Vikings did.   

Oh ok.  It seems like it rarely works out when the offensive line gets shuffled around like that.

It does show that even good mobile QBs need competent line play

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

Oh ok.  It seems like it rarely works out when the offensive line gets shuffled around like that.

It does show that even good mobile QBs need competent line play

That was always my concern going into the game with how people were so confident that the Chiefs would win.  Granted, I thought they may win, but it was always going to be closer than expected because of my fear of their offensive line.  Mahomes has often made them look better than what they truly are...and with Fisher and Schwartz out, along with the opt-out of the season by their very good Canadian offensive guard, he was going to have to perform even better than normal...and that just wasn't possible with Bowles' game planning of taking away Tyreek. 

Because while people may think that they are stacked at WR, really, it's Tyreek and Kelce at the top, and everyone else a good step below that (although they certainly are better than Olabisi and Beebe).  They aren't especially stacked at WR...and their running game isn't all that good (not that Andy likes to run anyway).    

Schwartz only played in 6 games this year so, Remmers at least had playing time prior to the game. 

the dumb decision was to weaken other positions with the shuffle of the line, AND not game planning around the pressure that you KNOW the Bucs are going to bring. Every play was either long developing play or a pass short to the sideline. 

They needed to run the ball earlier and screen the Bucs out of their 2 high shell and 5-0 pressures. Very poor game plan by Reid/Bieniemy. 

43 minutes ago, RpMc said:

They needed to run the ball earlier and screen the Bucs out of their 2 high shell and 5-0 pressures. Very poor game plan by Reid/Bieniemy. 

But that would have required them to actually ever have any interest in running the ball...which Andy doesn't do.  Never has, never will.  

4 hours ago, RpMc said:

Schwartz only played in 6 games this year so, Remmers at least had playing time prior to the game. 

the dumb decision was to weaken other positions with the shuffle of the line, AND not game planning around the pressure that you KNOW the Bucs are going to bring. Every play was either long developing play or a pass short to the sideline. 

Moving Wylie to OT was not a bad choice.  Niang was hurt, and obviously Fisher and Schwartz were out.  Not even sure if Yasir Durant was healthy that game but I believe the choice was put Wylie at OT or put a rookie in Durant or Rankin at OT so not sure it was a bad move on their part.  Wisniewski was the vet so they decided to put a vet IOL in instead of an inexperienced younger guy at OT.

Either way Nick Allegretti a 7th round pick from 2019 is better than any guard we have on the roster and he is their backup.  He would start on the Vikings no question.  So that is the problem, KC can find these guys and either they are good players as late picks or they can make them better than they ever have been before, case being Mike Remmers.  

Also I thought the Bucs did not really blitz that often in that game or bring pressure.  I though the game plan was play two high safeties which Bowles apparently never does and not bring pressure which he also does not do often either.  And allow David and White to cover the middle of the field more, lucky for them Suh, JPP and Barrett got plenty of pressure just by themselves.  Even Gholston got some pressure which he normally does not do and Vea.  Just Suh and Vea, they are hell to deal with and allow David and White to just be free as can be back there.  

I was surprised they allowed Mahomes to run as much as he did but clearly it did not matter much in the end because they took away the big play and Mahomes getting a run for 10 yards and a 1st down is not a big deal compared to giving up a 80 yard TD to Hill or Kelce.