2021 Draft Talk

swede700

At times I really wish the Vikings did not run a ZBS.  Dudes like this are in the draft and few are talking about him.  Is 6-9 312 and could get him anywhere from the 4th to the 6th round arguably.  

Stone Forsythe Florida RS SR OT

stone-forsythe-19-8.jpg

buchanan--512x330.jpg

The dudes to his left and right and not small dudes but look small next to him.  He has great leg bend for a man his size, I was shocked to read he is 6-9, probably more like 6-8 but still he can really get low for a man that size and has big time upside.  Could get on the right team and be a super star player potentially.  And again few even know or talk about him.  Trent Brown much?  At least Stone should not make it to the 7th round but who knows.  

Stone is not as talented but similar situation with Orlando Brown Jr.  1st rounder as a talent but dropped in the draft because of that bad combine showing.  All he does is become a two time Pro Bowl OT in three seasons.  Not bad for someone people mad fun on the internet of back at the 2018 combine.  Alejandro Villanueva is another 6-9 320 dude, was a TE on Army if I remember right, now is a damn good OT on the Steelers.  Still those kinds of tackles Vikings seem to never look at recently and only go for the good athletes.  That is great but clearly has not been great in pass pro that is for damn sure.  

Still sucks they basically never played Udoh any real time minutes last year, really wish they would have tried him out at guard just for a little bit.  

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

MINNESOTA VIKINGS (NO. 14 OVERALL)

The Vikings are one of the most difficult teams to pick for when I do my three-round mock drafts for TDN. They need help on both sides of the trenches, specifically in the interior, an area where this draft is lacking top blue-chip talent. Instead of picking a Kwity Paye or a Christian Darrisaw at No. 14, I could see this team looking to trade back, picking up additional picks, and then drafting a guy like Christian Barmore or Wyatt Davis later in round one or early in round two. It is also important to know that this team currently doesn’t have a second-round pick because they traded it to the Jaguars for Yannick Ngakoue, so adding more picks could be a priority for the Vikings. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/5-teams-trade-down-2021-nfl-draft-1

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Adding more picks is always a priority for Spielman. I just hope they don’t lose out on a top tier prospect by moving back. The defense desperately needs some immediate impact pieces, more so than the offense.

If the Vikings are prioritizing interior linemen on either side of the ball, trading back all the way out of the 1st round doesn't make sense to me either.  I value having a lot of picks, but not at the risk of not being able to get a really good player in the 1st.

28 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

If the Vikings are prioritizing interior linemen on either side of the ball, trading back all the way out of the 1st round doesn't make sense to me either.  I value having a lot of picks, but not at the risk of not being able to get a really good player in the 1st.

Agree.  But, if he can trade back into the later 1st rd and pick up some other picks later (which potentially can be used in trade ups), I'm all for that.  There seems to be far better value in interior linemen in the later portion of the 1st rd.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Someone that I know a few of us like.

Yeah he looked great in the Senior Bowl, would be great to get a local kid like that who can ball.  Really is an aggressive edge rusher with great size.  I would be shocked if he is around past the 4th though.  Would be ideal if the Vikings get a OL with the 1st pick if they cannot trade out then draft Smith in the 3rd if he is still there.  

Saw something with the Vikings getting Verah-Tucker at the 14th pick overall.  Pac-12 title game, Verah-Tucker gives up sacks at the 4:38 mark and 10:35 mark in this video, one is to Thibodeaux who is arguably a top 5 pick next year and is probably better than any pass rusher in the 2021 draft but still.   Really Verah-Tucker is more a guard, sure he can play OT but is probably not best there.    He makes more sense later in the 1st round honestly, and sure has more upside than Wyatt Davis because he can play tackle but then again as a true guard not sure he is better, is more athletic.  Still not seeing why the Vikings would take Verah-Tucker over a guy like Leatherwood who also has played guard and will see how they time out athletically because on tape Verah-Tucker does not seem all that more athletic than Leatherwood.  Sure he can move well but might be a little soft to be a really great guard.

Will be interesting what they do but this game specifically, against the best competition he played all year he got beat multiple times for sacks as a OT.  Would love to trade out of the 14th pick overall but really doubt that will be an option honestly.  

I really wish agents and certain teams wouldn't be allowed to market their guy so much sometimes . . . But its also important for teams to see plenty of tape.    I'm not well-read on Vera-tucker so I can't say I'm absolutely against him as a pick.   However, I don't want the Vikes picking a tackle . . . Cleveland was really impressive at RG, but if we need him at LT, then we need a new RG . . . We need a new LG for sure.   

I guess the other part of the discussion with these kids is . . . "You know we need inside help.    Are you willing to dig in and contribute there?"    If an agent replies lukewarm or the kids balks in the slightest, strike the board.  

On 2/8/2021 at 9:07 AM, swede700 said:

That was a pretty nonsensical statement by Keith.  Especially since the Buccaneers were stacked at WR in 2019 too and won nothing.  

Yeah. I mean it’s not like their WRs open things up for the TEs. All the Bucs needed was a competent QB to distribute the ball to all their weapons. The Vikings lack talent. 

21 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Yeah. I mean it’s not like their WRs open things up for the TEs. All the Bucs needed was a competent QB to distribute the ball to all their weapons. The Vikings lack talent. 

They need WR talent no question, but the offense is multiple TE sets and two receivers.  Not many plays have a three WR set and based on the bad pass pro they already have, not sure putting less TEs on the field makes the pass protection any better.

Maybe they will change there offense next year but Jefferson did amazing with it last year and Cook had a great year.  Only thing that struggled really was Kirk got hit a lot but other than that they really moved the football and scored points.  Upgrading Bisi Johnson and Beebe is a good idea though because not sure either one of them is long term the answer.  Still the OL and DL have to be addressed way before they draft a WR.  

Now if Jaylen Waddle falls to them in the 1st round it would be hard to pass on him.  But if not they would have to wait till the 3rd round and not sure it is worth getting Tylan Wallace, Tutu Atwell or Demetric Felton in place of a solid OG or DE/DT is a great idea.  

Ihmir Smith-Marsette could be the ideal late in the 4th or 5th for the Vikings.  Is a great return man which they need and has big play ability and deep speed.  I also like Mike Harley as well for a deep threat in the 4th round.  

45 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

They need WR talent no question, but the offense is multiple TE sets and two receivers.  Not many plays have a three WR set and based on the bad pass pro they already have, not sure putting less TEs on the field makes the pass protection any better.

Maybe they will change there offense next year but Jefferson did amazing with it last year and Cook had a great year.  Only thing that struggled really was Kirk got hit a lot but other than that they really moved the football and scored points.  Upgrading Bisi Johnson and Beebe is a good idea though because not sure either one of them is long term the answer.  Still the OL and DL have to be addressed way before they draft a WR.  

Now if Jaylen Waddle falls to them in the 1st round it would be hard to pass on him.  But if not they would have to wait till the 3rd round and not sure it is worth getting Tylan Wallace, Tutu Atwell or Demetric Felton in place of a solid OG or DE/DT is a great idea.  

Ihmir Smith-Marsette could be the ideal late in the 4th or 5th for the Vikings.  Is a great return man which they need and has big play ability and deep speed.  I also like Mike Harley as well for a deep threat in the 4th round.  

I’d be hesitant to draft a DL in round 1. The success rate for a DL in the 3rd or 4th round is very high. 

Much rather go OL or WR.

Potentially trade back a little and gain a 2 or 3.  Sign a veteran OL that can come in immediately and stabilize the line.

I say WR mainly bc if something happens to Thielen or Jefferson the team would be hurting immensely. Plus, Thielen is getting up there in age. 

I’m big on Kadarius Toney. Shoot, wouldn’t mind getting rid of Rudolph and drafting Kyle Pitts if he falls to 14.

Edited by KeithVikings28

3 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

I’d be hesitant to draft a DL in round 1. The success rate for a DL in the 3rd or 4th round is very high. 

Much rather go OL or WR.

Potentially trade back a little and gain a 2 or 3.  Sign a veteran OL that can come in immediately and stabilize the line.

I say WR mainly bc if something happens to Thielen or Jefferson the team would be hurting immensely. Plus, Thielen is getting up there in age. 

I’m big on Kadarius Toney. Shoot, wouldn’t mind getting rid of Rudolph and drafting Kyle Pitts if he falls to 14.

Rumor has it there's a Gophers WR in the draft who's supposed to be pretty decent....

8 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Much rather go OL or WR.

I would love Pitts at 14 but highly doubt he drops.  Really they just need to trade that pick but not sure that will happen because all the top QBs will be gone.  Only way they can trade the pick could be if a team wants to take Mac Jones from the Patriots before they pick.  But will see how it all falls I guess but trading would be the best option.

I would like Toney, and these other receivers I would not mind either.  They are the 2nd tear WRs and I would like any of them but none are going to be around in the 3rd round outside of St. Brown arguably.  Would not mind Tamorrion Terry especially if he runs well and he could be got later than the 3rd round.

PS If Kirk Cousins goes down because they do not improve the offensive line, that is a much bigger issue than if Jefferson or Thielen go down I feel.  Part of the reason the Bucs won their last two games of the season because they could put heat on the oppositions QB and they did not have much pressure put on Tom either game.  8 sacks and 18 QB hits by the Bucs in those last two games, where Brady only got sacked 2 times and hit 6 times in comparison.  Not to mention it was against two teams who had injured OLs in the game and QBs who were not used to getting hit and pressured for most of the season.

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1