2021 Draft Talk

swede700

10 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Yeah. I mean it’s not like their WRs open things up for the TEs. All the Bucs needed was a competent QB to distribute the ball to all their weapons. The Vikings lack talent. 

I would make the argument that that's not the case, because Kelce was good before they had any WRs.  He was getting nearly 1K yd seasons when all they had was Dwayne Bowe.  And to suggest that Tom Brady is just a competent QB is kind of a slap in the face to him (although I'm fairly certain you didn't mean for it to come off that way).  

And Ozzy sort of indicated, the Vikings don't run the same type of offense as both Tampa Bay and Kansas City do, so while they certainly do need to increase their depth, a guy like an Antonio Brown or Chris Godwin would likely be sitting on the bench for 2/3 of the game.  That's not a formula for success or happiness in the locker-room. 

So, I know your argument would be to "change the offensive style then"...but then you'd have to overhaul the offensive line to suit that style because the current players can't succeed in that style.  There's far too many things that would need to change to have that similar type of success and just adding high talent at the 3rd WR position won't fix that.  I'm all for adding talent at the position, but I'm certainly not prioritizing that at the sake of upgrading the trenches.  Probably one of the only things below WR on my draft position priority board is adding a RB.      

10 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Shoot, wouldn’t mind getting rid of Rudolph and drafting Kyle Pitts if he falls to 14.

Rudy is as good as gone and I liked what I saw from Irv and Conklin down the stretch. Using 14 on a TE would be a terrible use of the pick IMO. I like Pitts the player just don't see the need on the Vikings. I'm hoping they'll use one of their later picks on a TE though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Rudy is as good as gone and I liked what I saw from Irv and Conklin down the stretch. Using 14 on a TE would be a terrible use of the pick IMO. I like Pitts the player just don't see the need on the Vikings. I'm hoping they'll use one of their later picks on a TE though. 

Conklin stepped up this year. I wouldn't hate having Pitts but I think Conklin and Smith can get the job done if they stay healthy.

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

And you wouldn't want to have something in common with the Lions, who seem to use a high draft pick on a TE every few years.  

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And you wouldn't want to have something in common with the Lions, who seem to use a high draft pick on a TE every few years.  

In the last 20 years, at least, there just hasn’t been a tight end selected that I would say was worth that 1st round pick based on the expectations of where they were drafted. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, viking said:

Looking forward to the draft my dream first round pick has got to be Kwitty Paye - adding Kwitty and bringing back Hunter will transform our D back into a top 10 unit

I personally would prefer an upgrade at defensive tackle. I would rather let go of bar and Anthony harris for a chance to sign. Jj watt and draft barmore.

Edited by HeydudemanG

2 minutes ago, HeydudemanG said:

I personally would prefer an upgrade at defensive tackle. I would rather let go of bar and Anthony harris for a chance to sign. Jj watt and draft barmore.

Kwitty has higher upside than any D tackle in the draft. He's got elite athleticism and can rush from multiple spots. 

If andre patterson gets his hands on him we could have 2 top 10 DEs. 

5 minutes ago, viking said:

Kwitty has higher upside than any D tackle in the draft. He's got elite athleticism and can rush from multiple spots. 

If andre patterson gets his hands on him we could have 2 top 10 DEs. 

That is true its the easiest way to upgrade the position and theres some tackles in free agency. We've been pretty good with mid round guys too.

Edited by HeydudemanG

18 minutes ago, HeydudemanG said:

Really?  JJ Watt?  I think his career is just one or two seasons away from being over.  I would not invest a lot of money in him honestly.  Also not sure he is a scheme fit.

56 minutes ago, viking said:

Looking forward to the draft my dream first round pick has got to be Kwitty Paye - adding Kwitty and bringing back Hunter will transform our D back into a top 10 unit

Paye's athletic ability I think is a little overrated, no way he run as fast as a 40 as some say he can run.  He is a good player but if we go DE give me Rousseau if he is there instead of Paye.  I would also rather have Barmore instead of Paye as well, we need guys who can get after the passer and Paye is a better all around player than those guys but might not have the pass rush potential of physical size both of them do.  

6 minutes ago, viking said:

I think D line has to be the pick - we're not going to have the best defence next year but we at least need to have a great D line if we're going to win the SB 

If quality OL is there we take that no question about it, especially since Reiff is gone after this season and Kirk got killed back there.  We have to protect him and if not they better get a new young QB because he is going to get hurt one of this hits he takes.  

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Really?  JJ Watt?  I think his career is just one or two seasons away from being over.  I would not invest a lot of money in him honestly.  Also not sure he is a scheme fit.

Paye's athletic ability I think is a little overrated, no way he run as fast as a 40 as some say he can run.  He is a good player but if we go DE give me Rousseau if he is there instead of Paye.  I would also rather have Barmore instead of Paye as well, we need guys who can get after the passer and Paye is a better all around player than those guys but might not have the pass rush potential of physical size both of them do.  

If quality OL is there we take that no question about it, especially since Reiff is gone after this season and Kirk got killed back there.  We have to protect him and if not they better get a new young QB because he is going to get hurt one of this hits he takes.  

Why does everyone think Reiff is going to be gone? He was easily our best Offensive Lineman last season and he just restructured his deal. Meaning he wants to stay. I don’t think he’s going anywhere anytime soon. We just need a left guard and our line is pretty much set. I do agree that we have to address OL and DL early and I’m hoping we can trade back, so we can get additional picks and address both of those positions early. 

In a perfect world we get Rousseau in the first and Wyatt Davis in the second, after a trade down. 🙏🏼

Edited by Purplepride323

3 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

Why does everyone think Reiff is going to be gone? He was easily our best Offensive Lineman last season and he just restructured his deal. Meaning he wants to stay. I don’t think he’s going anywhere anytime soon. We just need a left guard and our line is pretty much set. I do agree that we have to address OL and DL early and I’m hoping we can trade back, so we can get additional picks and address both of those positions early. 

In a perfect world we get Rousseau in the first and Wyatt Davis in the second, after a trade down. 🙏🏼

I agree we should keep Reiff for 2021, but you honestly think they resign him after 2021?  Thus they need to get another OT and why not get a guard who can do both potentially.  Doubt they bring Reiff back in 2022 but maybe, I agree they should absolutely keep him, especially until his contract is up at least.