2021 Draft Talk

swede700

11 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm hoping we can trade into the 2nd and still keep a 3rd. I think we have like 4 4th round picks if we get a comp pick for Waynes.

Yeah we have to trade back from #14 in order to do that. I think that’s our best bet in general for this draft. There are still going to be a lot of great players available from picks 20-27. I think at least one of either: Rousseau, Paye, Barmore, Slater, and Vera-Tucker would still be available and I’ll be fine with any of those players in the later first round. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Yeah we have to trade back from #14 in order to do that. I think that’s our best bet in general for this draft. There are still going to be a lot of great players available from picks 20-27. I think at least one of either: Rousseau, Paye, Barmore, Slater, and Vera-Tucker would still be available and I’ll be fine with any of those players in the later first round. 

I think you're going to be disappointed if you think Paye or Slater are going to be available that late.  Not sure Rousseau stays on the board that long either.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think you're going to be disappointed if you think Paye or Slater are going to be available that late.  Not sure Rousseau stays on the board that long either.

I won’t be disappointed with Vera-Tucker or Barmore, if those other players are gone. Like I said, I think at least one of those elite players will be available. Won’t be disappointed if we trade back, get a second rounder, and still end up with a day one starter in the later first round. That would be ideal in my opinion. 

48 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I certainly wouldn't expect it, but we've certainly been surprised before at whose available in the 20s.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

How do you fix the OL and DL with no 2nd round pick and no evidence they can develop OL or DT in over 7 years now? And, no FA money?

You draft the best available OL or DL in the 1st round and could still get decent quality in the 3rd for OL or DL arguably.  And they have multiple 3rd and 4th round picks.  Still they have shown ability to develop lower drafted DL a decent amount, even last year with Wonnum he looks he can ball.  So they can find DL in the later rounds I do not doubt that.  

Could get guys like Elerson Smith, Jerome Johnson in the 3rd, or Mustafa Johnson, Darius Stills or Cameron Sample as well in that 3rd or 4th round range as well.  Four picks in those two rounds, they can find someone on the OL or DL.

Still passing on a guy like DeVonta Smith or Waddle, you just do not do that, same with Surtain or Pitts or Lance for that matter etc.  But depends on how much they like the OL there, honestly most would be a little over drafted in that 14th pick range to be honest.  It is Sewell and then a huge gap till the next OL in terms of star talent.  

33 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You draft the best available OL or DL in the 1st round and could still get decent quality in the 3rd for OL or DL arguably.  And they have multiple 3rd and 4th round picks.  Still they have shown ability to develop lower drafted DL a decent amount, even last year with Wonnum he looks he can ball.  So they can find DL in the later rounds I do not doubt that.  

Could get guys like Elerson Smith, Jerome Johnson in the 3rd, or Mustafa Johnson, Darius Stills or Cameron Sample as well in that 3rd or 4th round range as well.  Four picks in those two rounds, they can find someone on the OL or DL.

Still passing on a guy like DeVonta Smith or Waddle, you just do not do that, same with Surtain or Pitts or Lance for that matter etc.  But depends on how much they like the OL there, honestly most would be a little over drafted in that 14th pick range to be honest.  It is Sewell and then a huge gap till the next OL in terms of star talent.  

this was in response to drafting a WR in round 1.........

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

this was in response to drafting a WR in round 1.........

True, but fact is if they get a better offense with more weapons then they can have a quicker passing game and pass pro will be less of an issue because the QB is not holding the ball as long.  Still I doubt DeVonta Smith, Waddle, Pitts, or Lance will be around so it really does not matter.

If they draft say Toney in that spot 14, great receiver and fine return man, yeah I would have a problem with that but not a super star like DeVonta Smith much less a HOF receiver in Randy Moss.  Yeah if there was a Moss type talent in this draft I would take him all day long.

If Rousseau is athletically elite as a edge rusher, depending on how he works out, yeah I would take him all day long but will see which talent is more rare athletically, the OL guys or the DL guys.  Say Barmore runs some 4.7 40 or something, or Rousseau runs some 4.6 40, it would matter.

Edited by Ozzy

22 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, but fact is if they get a better offense with more weapons then they can have a quicker passing game and pass pro will be less of an issue because the QB is not holding the ball as long.  Still I doubt DeVonta Smith, Waddle, Pitts, or Lance will be around so it really does not matter.

If they draft say Toney in that spot 14, great receiver and fine return man, yeah I would have a problem with that but not a super star like DeVonta Smith much less a HOF receiver in Randy Moss.  Yeah if there was a Moss type talent in this draft I would take him all day long.

If Rousseau is athletically elite as a edge rusher, depending on how he works out, yeah I would take him all day long but will see which talent is more rare athletically, the OL guys or the DL guys.  Say Barmore runs some 4.7 40 or something, or Rousseau runs some 4.6 40, it would matter.

I hope Smith is there. Then I know the Jets would trade pick 23 and 34 for him. Then, give me Barmore at 23 and the top OL left at pick 34. I would be thrilled to death for that...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

I hope Smith is there. Then I know the Jets would trade pick 23 and 34 for him. Then, give me Barmore at 23 and the top OL left at pick 34. I would be thrilled to death for that...

Yeah that is another good reason to just pick the best guy there especially if a highly ranked dude falls.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

So how do you fix OL or DL if you pick a WR in round one, which was the question.....

5 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

So how do you fix OL or DL if you pick a WR in round one, which was the question.....

How do you fix the OL if you pick DL? How do you fix the DL if you pick OL? How do you fill the S position opposite Smith if you draft a different position?

There’s more to the draft than the first round. And there’s more to building the roster than the draft.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

How do you fix the OL if you pick DL? How do you fix the DL if you pick OL? How do you fill the S position opposite Smith if you draft a different position?

There’s more to the draft than the first round. And there’s more to building the roster than the draft.

So,  punt next year?  If so, trade a lot of players..... and there is no 2nd pick.  My point is.....a team can't win by drafting a WR in round 1, if they have no DL and a bad OL..... my point all along is that this is a team, not a collection of BPA, while ignoring the awful defense. You seem to be agreeing.... they need to build a team. 

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Washington picked Chase Young when they already have Sweat, Kerrigan, Payne and Allen on the DL.  Think that was a bad choice?  Colts picked Jonathan Taylor when they already have Marlon Mack, Hines and Wilkins.  Steelers had JuJu, Diontae Johnson and James Washington yet still drafted Claypool and he was dominant at times this year.  All those teams made the Playoffs last year and all were pretty set or solid at those respective positions.

Just because you are solid at a position does not mean you pass on great players.  But again Vikings probably will not get that chance anyway and the really elite guys in this draft could all be gone.  

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Washington picked Chase Young when they already have Sweat, Kerrigan, Payne and Allen on the DL.  Think that was a bad choice?  Colts picked Jonathan Taylor when they already have Marlon Mack, Hines and Wilkins.  Steelers had JuJu, Diontae Johnson and James Washington yet still drafted Claypool and he was dominant at times this year.  All those teams made the Playoffs last year and all were pretty set or solid at those respective positions.

Just because you are solid at a position does not mean you pass on great players.  But again Vikings probably will not get that chance anyway and the really elite guys in this draft could all be gone.  

You are saying the Vikings should do what that perennial winner Washington does? The colts had free agent money and a second round pick.....