2021 Draft Talk

swede700

11 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I guess I need to ask, which Josh Gordon vibes?  The vibes that he has all the potential to be great? Or, the vibes that lead you to think that he has behavior issues and substance issues that will keep him from living up to his potential?  If he is giving off the later vibes, I want nothing to do with him.

Super talented with a 10 cent head.

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Its pick 1.14 

Christian Darrisaw, Christian Barmore, Rashawn Slater and Gregory Rousseau are on the board.

Who are you taking and why?

I’m leaning towards Barmore. We were 27th against the run last year and had absolutely no pressure on the QB. Barmore along with the return of Pierce and Hunter will be a huge difference.. Plus, I hope we address our other DE in FA. ( I’m hoping for Trey Hendrickson or Romeo Okwara ) 

I think we can find our other pieces in the later rounds ( S, OG, and depth).

Thats my pick..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

A great breakdown from one of the best, talking about two of the most frequently mocked offensive linemen to Minnesota. 

I would be fine with either one, Darrisaw has potential as a tackle, Vera-Tucker I do not think does, no way as a LT like Darrisaw could do down the road or he could be a guard also.  Still not sure why so many hate on Alex Leatherwood who was a better LT than either one of these guys in college and arguably better as a guard also.  Or Wyatt Davis who is arguably the best OG in the draft and has played at a high level for a long time.  Ideally Leatherwood or Davis do drop into the 2nd and Vikings make some trade, move out of the 14th pick and get a 2nd round pick and take one of those two who would be total steals at that point.

But fact is whoever times out best in that top range of OL prospects Vikings will probably take.  Whoever is the most athletic of the group considering who they have went for in the past.  

33 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Its pick 1.14 

Christian Darrisaw, Christian Barmore, Rashawn Slater and Gregory Rousseau are on the board. These are Minnesota's top targets left on the board.

Hard to say because no athletic testing has been done, really that does greatly matter.  How elite are you compared to other guys at you position in speed, strength, leaping ability, agility etc.  That will tell a lot about who goes where.  Out of these four would be very damn hard to pass on Slater even though not sure Slater could play guard he is arguably the best player on this board, he is an elite LT talent with great feet and great upside.  Slater is the clear #2 OL prospect in the draft so would be very hard to pass on him if he is around.

• Like 1

I don't care as much about the athletic testing, because that only will help validate what you see on the tape.  Unless there's some huge red flag discrepancy from what's on the tape, the comparison to other guys at the same position isn't all that relevant.  But, with the 4 guys listed, Slater is clearly above the others and would be the guy I'd take.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't care as much about the athletic testing, because that only will help validate what you see on the tape.  Unless there's some huge red flag discrepancy from what's on the tape, the comparison to other guys at the same position isn't all that relevant.  But, with the 4 guys listed, Slater is clearly above the others and would be the guy I'd take.

I agree.  Time and again we here coaches and scouts say that watching game tape and the face to face interview are what settles a FO on their picks.

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

You might not care about it, but have you seen how the Vikings have picked as their offensive lineman in the 1st or 2nd round recently?  All did great or were at or near the top of athletic testing for their position group.  Clearly they believe athletic OL fit their zone blocking scheme, now in terms of pass pro it has been awful which is a bit odd.

Still athletic testing secures a prospect, makes it a little more safe to take him because they are physically elite.  Most great players in the NFL showed out very well athletically and most great players on the Vikings did exactly that.  To disregard it well yeah it does matter.  Player A is faster than player B, guess who gest to the end zone first.  

Do you need to be a track guy, no but proving your equal or greater than your peers athletically is never a bad thing.  Danielle Hunter showed that and not a surprise he has done so well as a professional with such great athletic skill.  

To say how those OL run does not matter in who the Vikings pick, well I feel yeah it kind of does.  If Wyatt Davis runs a sub 4.9 40, it will get many individuals attention and move him right into 1st round consideration potentially.  Sure it has to match the tape and everything, but also makes it a little more comfortable taking a guy when he plays at an elite level and physically is at an elite level.

22 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Its pick 1.14 

Christian Darrisaw, Christian Barmore, Rashawn Slater and Gregory Rousseau are on the board. These are Minnesota's top targets left on the board.

1)Slater 2)Darrisaw 3)Rousseau 4)Darrisaw

• Like 1

Tommy Doyle, OT Miami OH.  Honestly never have heard of the guy before, and apparently had a great season this year.  Huge dude and local Edina kid, could be one to watch will have to look into his tape some more.  

• Like 1

Slater is a no brainer, but I'm not sure about Darrisaw in terms of where his future would be with the team if they keep Riley Reiff for, say, another three years?  You've already got Cleveland who may or may not be a future tackle.  Slater I'm very positive could kick inside to guard and be very, very good.  If they sign Reiff to an extension, someone like Vera-Tucker makes more sense than Darrisaw for me.  Would be a plug and play left guard, who could kick out to tackle if you feel he could have a post-Reiff future there.  Same with Slater.