2021 Draft Talk

swede700

30 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Whitewater doesn't need to be generous to garner attention.  They are already a nationally recognized D-III powerhouse.

Sure and St. Johns for years was nationally recognized, but in the grand scheme of things no one really cares about a D-III powerhouse and few pay close attention to it.  Could argue the little hype Meinerz is getting coming into this draft season is as much press that St. Johns got in what 10 years.  Really most of the attention was because of John Gagliardi and the story of him as a coach, no so much the teams players.  

Either way this guys is this out of this world athlete with one of the fastest recorded times for a man his size as a guard in NFL history, or they are simply not giving correct numbers to his physical abilities.  4.92 40 time?  That is a bit of a stretch, but again maybe he is this all world athlete, sure knows how to gain attention with his super unique and original workouts.

The strength and power thing makes sense, just does not seem the type to be a great sprinter.

Then again Garrett Bradbury ran a 4.92 40 time and benched 225 34 times.  Was great and made him a 1st round pick, but the dude gets pushed around like a rag doll on the field at times and gets knocked backwards constantly.  So I guess those numbers are not everything, especially in regards to offensive lineman.  Good for Meinerz he has more leg power and a more solid base than Bradbury seems to have.  

Not to continue belaboring a small point, but St. John’s has two national titles, only one of which occurred in the last forty years.  They’re National recognized because of Gagliardi

Whitewater has won six of the last fifteen and are only behind Mount Union in terms of overall D-III championships. 

I do get your point on numbers being artificially pumped up given that these are basically pro days, but numbers being pumped up, potentially, doesn’t have anything to do with wanting attention. It’s just what happens at pro days. 

33 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's kinda crazy that half of their picks are just in the 3rd and 4th rds.

I like a good chunk of the safeties pegged for round three, and the edge players tabbed in rounds three and four.  Not a bad year to have a good chunk of picks in that range, and, as mentioned by @VikeManDan - good ammo to move up in the draft with if so desired.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 8:56 PM, Ozzy said:

Sure and St. Johns for years was nationally recognized, but in the grand scheme of things no one really cares about a D-III powerhouse and few pay close attention to it.  Could argue the little hype Meinerz is getting coming into this draft season is as much press that St. Johns got in what 10 years.  Really most of the attention was because of John Gagliardi and the story of him as a coach, no so much the teams players.  

Either way this guys is this out of this world athlete with one of the fastest recorded times for a man his size as a guard in NFL history, or they are simply not giving correct numbers to his physical abilities.  4.92 40 time?  That is a bit of a stretch, but again maybe he is this all world athlete, sure knows how to gain attention with his super unique and original workouts.

The strength and power thing makes sense, just does not seem the type to be a great sprinter.

Then again Garrett Bradbury ran a 4.92 40 time and benched 225 34 times.  Was great and made him a 1st round pick, but the dude gets pushed around like a rag doll on the field at times and gets knocked backwards constantly.  So I guess those numbers are not everything, especially in regards to offensive lineman.  Good for Meinerz he has more leg power and a more solid base than Bradbury seems to have.  

I dont know much about lifting but I know iowa doesn't like to focus on bench and doesn't view it as important as other things which is why I assume iowa guys sometimes underwhelm on the bench. But I would assume squatting, hang clean, and power clean for lineman is the key lifts. 

Probably my favorite mock of the year

14. Rashawn Slater OT,
74.Jay Tufele IDL,
82.Brevin Jordan TE,
119.Paris Ford S,
125.Tariq Thompson S,

134.Janarius Robinson
EDGE,
143.Sage Surratt WR,
157.LaBryan Ray IDL,
171.Dazz Newsome WR,
221.Patrick Johnson EDGE,
240.Paddy Fisher LB,

• Like 1

I still would be rather intrigued in them drafting Lance (if there at #14) and letting him sit for 2 years.  If he's there, I would say other needs be damned, because the draft is about more than filling just immediate needs.  

EDIT:  Spielman and Kubiak are 2 of the 3 that are there at NDSU today.

Edited by swede700

39 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I still would be rather intrigued in them drafting Lance (if there at #14) and letting him sit for 2 years.  If he's there, I would say other needs be damned, because the draft is about more than filling just immediate needs.  

EDIT:  Spielman and Kubiak are 2 of the 3 that are there at NDSU today.

I’m all for this approach if they want to take a QB at 14. So long as that player has a ton of upside. I’d rather not draft another QB that profiles closer to Teddy Bridgewater or Kirk Cousins. Give me an athlete with a big arm. That’s the kind of player I think you have to roll the dice with if you want to take the 1-2 year development approach. Worked out well for the Chiefs, they would have been justified in Smith as the starter, but they gambled and took Mahomes.