Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

They very well could have Cleveland penciled in at LT. Would they take an OG at 14? 

I don’t think Hill would have stayed if the plan was to move Cleveland. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

They very well could have Cleveland penciled in at LT. Would they take an OG at 14? 

There has never been any proof that the Vikings decision makers have seen Cleveland as anything but a guard even last year with Reiff's pay cut it was Rashod Hill that was looked to fill the void created not Ezra Cleveland.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, at this point, I think that the Vikings only need to find one immediate starter in the draft. They should absolutely draft a couple linemen in the mid rounds to compete and push for a starting spot, and develop for longer term options. But guard is the only spot I see more an immediate must along the line. 

Rashod Hill has played well over the last couple of years when he’s had to fill in for Reiff or O’Neill. I think Hill has certainly earned a chance to compete for a spot, maybe with Osi Udoh, and I wouldn’t be concerned about him starting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

So just don't try is going to do what exactly?

We need one left guard and one left tackle and I find it more likely  the tackle gets taken round 1 then guard.

No, use higher picks on OL.....there are people saying don't use their first on "not valuable" positions on the OL.....they have no 2nd. So, if they pass in round 1, what is the plan? The HC is supposed to be a defensive genius.....and the OC is totally new to the job. Maybe trust the HC to coach, and use higher picks on the OL. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pretty sure Spielman said at the beginning of last season that Cleveland was viewed as a swing tackle.  It wasn't until injury hit that they plugged him in at guard and to his credit he played well there.  I wouldn't rule him out at LT.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Freakout said:

I am pretty sure Spielman said at the beginning of last season that Cleveland was viewed as a swing tackle.  It wasn't until injury hit that they plugged him in at guard and to his credit he played well there.  I wouldn't rule him out at LT.

Cleveland never practiced at tackle. He took every rep during training camp at left guard, per Courtney Cronin, and per multiple reports during the season he took virtually all of his 2nd team reps at left guard, as well. Then he flipped to right guard when he was moved to the starting lineup. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t think Hill would have stayed if the plan was to move Cleveland. 

It ls not like any other team is going to outright hand him a starting job, he’s going to have to compete regardless of where he ends up. So why not just stay where you’re familiar?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Cleveland never practiced at tackle. He took every rep during training camp at left guard, per Courtney Cronin, and per multiple reports during the season he took virtually all of his 2nd team reps at left guard, as well. Then he flipped to right guard when he was moved to the starting lineup. 

Last year, they had Riley Reiff. This year, they don’t. I don’t think last year is relevant at this point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why Slater (no brainer) or Vera-Tucker make the most sense to me. Both of them could play LG for a year, very well, with Hill at LT if that’s the best OL configuration. 
 

Hill - Slater/Vera-Tucker - Bradbury - Cleveland - O’Neill

draft some mid round depth on the interior. 

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Pat Elflein played well as a rookie, under Sparano and the offensive scheme that he was drafted to play in. 

 

I think the biggest issue with the Vikings failing to develop mid/late round o-linemen is directly related to how often they’ve had to change offensive coordinators and schemes. 

That's where my position has generally been.  The changes in scheme and coaching haven't done those young guys any favor at all.   But some of them have also managed to stick around the league , so they must have some talent.  Beavers is with Atl, Gossett is in Cleveland and Isidora is in Pittsburgh.  Even Clemmings was still around 2 years ago.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, RpMc said:

This is why Slater (no brainer) or Vera-Tucker make the most sense to me. Both of them could play LG for a year, very well, with Hill at LT if that’s the best OL configuration. 
 

Hill - Slater/Vera-Tucker - Bradbury - Cleveland - O’Neill

draft some mid round depth on the interior. 

I love slater for this team if he’s available (like u stated - no brainer). What are your thoughts on Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech? Isn’t Vera-Tucker a fringe first rounder? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's where my position has generally been.  The changes in scheme and coaching haven't done those young guys any favor at all.   But some of them have also managed to stick around the league , so they must have some talent.  Beavers is with Atl, Gossett is in Cleveland and Isidora is in Pittsburgh.  Even Clemmings was still around 2 years ago.  

Not one guy has worked......so, ya, that's my point. This FO isn't doing a good job, as their job is more than just picking players. It can't only be coaching, though, as NONE of them have worked past round 2. It is almost uncanny, really. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, RpMc said:

This is why Slater (no brainer) or Vera-Tucker make the most sense to me. Both of them could play LG for a year, very well, with Hill at LT if that’s the best OL configuration. 
 

Hill - Slater/Vera-Tucker - Bradbury - Cleveland - O’Neill

draft some mid round depth on the interior. 

I think this is the year we seen O’Neill flip sides. Call it a feeling from all of the talk and reports last fall when they were waiting on Reiff’s decision. 

LT: Brian O’Neill
LG: Slater/Vera-Tucker/Darrisaw/Cosmi
OC: Bradbury
RG: Cleveland
RT: Hill/Udoh (TC competition)

Draft another C and T late day 2 and early day 3. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

I love slater for this team if he’s available (like u stated - no brainer). What are your thoughts on Christian Darrisaw OT Virginia Tech? Isn’t Vera-Tucker a fringe first rounder? 

Depends on who you talk to. There are mocks with Vera-Tucker from 10 to the 2nd round. I personally really like him as a guard prospect that could possibly play LT. 

Darrisaw I haven’t watched a ton of, I’m out of the draft loop unless it’s Big 10 or USC (or a USC opponent)

Edited by RpMc
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...