2021 Draft Talk

swede700

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think this is the year we seen O’Neill flip sides. Call it a feeling from all of the talk and reports last fall when they were waiting on Reiff’s decision. 

LT: Brian O’Neill
LG: Slater/Vera-Tucker/Darrisaw/Cosmi
OC: Bradbury
RG: Cleveland
RT: Hill/Udoh (TC competition)

Draft another C and T late day 2 and early day 3. 

I think that's sort of where I'm leaning at, except that I think they're going to flip Cleveland back to LG, where he practiced last training camp.  I think they're going to take the risk that O'Neill can make the move to LT, which means that they are going to have to pay him LT money in his extension.

People seem to think that Cleveland isn't a natural OG, because he's too tall or whatever, but Kyle Long is 6'6" and a lot of good OGs have been 6'5".  Also, by typical standards, Cleveland's arms and hands don't measure up to being an OT, so that may be why they've pegged him as an OG.  

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

except that I think they're going to flip Cleveland back to LG,

I mulled that over as well, and could easily see it. Especially if they flip O’Neill and they believe the two had a good chemistry. 

Honestly, if they were able to draft Slater or Vera-Tucker, I’d rather see either of them at RG over Cleveland. RGs tend to see a lot more 1-on-1 battles, and I believe both of those players are naturally stronger than Cleveland. 

Edited by SemperFeist

46 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I mulled that over as well, and could easily see it. Especially if they flip O’Neill and they believe the two had a good chemistry. 

Honestly, if they were able to draft Slater or Vera-Tucker, I’d rather see either of them at RG over Cleveland. RGs tend to see a lot more 1-on-1 battles, and I believe both of those players are naturally stronger than Cleveland. 

I hear what you and Swede are saying, but, I'd really hate to see O'Neill flip.  It's worked so well for him at RT...I think that's his natural position.  I think Hill could be a stop-gap LT...but, I doubt he's the long term answer at LT either.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I think that's sort of where I'm leaning at, except that I think they're going to flip Cleveland back to LG, where he practiced last training camp.  I think they're going to take the risk that O'Neill can make the move to LT, which means that they are going to have to pay him LT money in his extension.

People seem to think that Cleveland isn't a natural OG, because he's too tall or whatever, but Kyle Long is 6'6" and a lot of good OGs have been 6'5".  Also, by typical standards, Cleveland's arms and hands don't measure up to being an OT, so that may be why they've pegged him as an OG.  

Not sure I would be a fan as Hill and Udoh competing to start at RT.  Not sure either one can do it honestly.  Sure LG with Slater/Vera-Tucker/Darrisaw but Cosmi cannot play OG at all I feel.  Slater will be gone also, still say Leatherwood should be in play same with Wyatt Davis.  Having Udoh or Hill as a RT makes little sense though, Cleveland and O'Neill as the RTs makes more sense, if O'Neill struggled at RT in pass pro think about how he would struggle as a LT.

1 hour ago, viking said:

Just seen that Miami has picked up Will Fuller, makes me think that they will likely take Sewell at 3 and the Bengals take Slater/Darrisaw at 5

Will be interesting, all along I thought they should get Sewell and move Hunt to guard but they did sign Isaiah Wilson so getting Sewell could be possible but then what do you do with Wilson and Hunt if they can play well?  Kindley being the other guard and they got Flowers also still and Deiter and did sign Karras as a center so who knows what they will do.

LT Austin Jackson
OG Erick Flowers / Kindley / Deiter
C Ted Karras  
OG Robert Hunt / Jesse Davis
OT Peni Sewell / Isaiah Wilson

Does seem kind of like a log jam with all those guys and Chase could still be in play there.  but depends on how much faith they have in Isaiah Wilson.  Sewell is clearly better than him but again why get Wilson unless they want him as a guard and let Flowers go.

Ben Cleveland put up some damn good numbers, curious if he will be in play as a guard in the 3rd round.  Honestly never though of him as this amazing prospect at all in college but athletically could fit the bill and could be a decent starter with that athletic ability.  

46 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Not sure I would be a fan as Hill and Udoh competing to start at RT.  Not sure either one can do it honestly.

Yeah, I feel like the reason the Vikings drafted Cleveland was to play him at LT as they felt Reiff wasn't going to be around much longer. So I feel that the Vikings are looking at Guard but will it be Vera-Tucker? If it is will it be Vera-Tucker at 14. In my opinion you have to be a really good guard prospect to get drafted this high. AVT has position flexibility and that may be driving up his draft stock with some teams. Too bad Davis injured his knee. 

2 hours ago, babababa said:

Yeah, I feel like the reason the Vikings drafted Cleveland was to play him at LT as they felt Reiff wasn't going to be around much longer. So I feel that the Vikings are looking at Guard but will it be Vera-Tucker? If it is will it be Vera-Tucker at 14. In my opinion you have to be a really good guard prospect to get drafted this high. AVT has position flexibility and that may be driving up his draft stock with some teams. Too bad Davis injured his knee. 

Sure Vera-Tucker makes sense but again Alex Leatherwood played better at LT than Vera-Tucker did and was arguably a better OG then Vera-Tucker as well when he played there.  Leatherwood could possibly make it as a LT or more likely RT as well if put there but I still think could be a solid guard in this system.  Not sure Vera-Tucker could hang at either tackle spot in pass pro but would be a good guard.

Tough call but I still think Leatherwood is getting really underrated in this process, same with Wyatt Davis.  Either way by the looks of it right now Vikings need two guards and both to start as rookies, not the best plan but as of right now that is how it looks.  Udoh would be great if he could play RT or OG but not sure I have faith in that, same with Samia playing well, maybe they are thinking bringing back Dozier for cheap even though he struggled a lot last year.  Or maybe they want Reiff back on the cheap if no one signs him.  

Nick Martin is going to the Raiders which is a good move for them and a solid player, Pocic is signed by Seattle.   Maybe they could get Lamp for cheap but he was not much better statistically than Dozier last year which is really not good at all.  

I would rather have Darrisaw than Vera-Tucker because again Darrisaw has potential to play LT if need be or RT so that versatility will help just likes helps that Cleveland can maybe play LT or OG.  Slater would be awesome also but not sure he falls that far.  

Edited by Ozzy

4 hours ago, babababa said:

If he's a starter for 6 years, he's worth 14, easy. 

7 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I haven’t dove as deep into the draft as previous years, but this is one guy I do know and have liked. Probably a end of the second - third round guy. @Ozzycould probably dive a little deeper on him. I know he never had the greatest injury history, or how exactly well he fits to our scheme. But man he is fun.

Landon Dickerson is fun to watch and who would not like a tough, aggressive interior OL who is competitive, funny and plays sound football.  I have really liked him all season and is arguably the best center in the nation based on his play and that is why he won the Rimington award.  

Is not really a scheme fit though for the Vikings and based on their history of only drafting athletic OL of late, not sure they would look at him.  But honestly he is gone by the 2nd round, and so is Meinerz and Humphrey and Myers most likely.  Would not mind Dickerson though especially as a OG in this offense if he falls because of the injury history.

Still the kid wanted out there and wanted to play even when he was hurt, super competitive team and a huge part of the Bama success this past season.  Easily his best season of his career and playing with great passion and desire.  Did play OG on FSU so he can do it no question.  

Will be interesting how he times out, Ben Cleveland is another one of interest that I have to watch more.  Athletically amazing with those numbers but on the field he was never as dominant as Dickerson was this year.  Cleveland had great physical numbers though, will see how Dickerson does but who knows if he can even run after the injury.

Cutting Reiff freed up $11.75 mil which is great but was signed by the Bengals for only what around $7.5 mil for one year.  Still two massive holes in the Vikings OL that have to be addressed, and even if they get who they want in the draft, it most likely will be two rookies starting at each OG.  Not sure that is the best idea but will see how it plays out.  If they would have kept Reiff till his contract up, probably could not have got Patrick Peterson I assume...