2021 Draft Talk

swede700

37 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Were these based off the pro day #'s?  I has read that some of these were the same crew that times the combine but not sure how much I should trust these numbers.  I'm not sure how much I'd like Cosmi in the 1st, would probably rather have Vera Tucker.

A lot of guys still need to athletically test, but yeah whoever does well athletically will probably be the guy they take on the OL with that 1st pick.  Will see how those other guys time out.  Slater is way better than Cosmi who is athletic but was not always dominating as a blocker.  Hopefully Leatherwood times out well but if not I could see the Vikings not even looking at him, same with Wyatt Davis but both are arguably the best guards in the draft.

1 hour ago, KeithVikings28 said:

That’s what I’ve concluded. Try to get a 2nd or 3rd to trade down.

Draft Cosmi then maybe trade up for a player who’s fallen. 

The problem with that is that to get a second you would likely fall behind the Colts and Bears in the draft order and both also need O-line [with the Colts also needing DE another of our big needs] so we could lose out on our chosen O-lineman.

48 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

The problem with that is that to get a second you would likely fall behind the Colts and Bears in the draft order and both also need O-line [with the Colts also needing DE another of our big needs] so we could lose out on our chosen O-lineman.

Very true.

I don’t think there’s a big drop off in talent with the top players though. 

1 hour ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Very true.

I don’t think there’s a big drop off in talent with the top players though. 

Physical abilities does not equal talent.  Many a player has been selected because of a metric saying the overall score indicates the kid will be successful.  Then some other yaahoo comes along and turns in a stellar pro career. 

There's a huge drop off in mental aptitude-character-guts in the guys that succeed vs/from the physical studs that merely survive a few a years on God-given physical ability.

6 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Physical abilities does not equal talent.  Many a player has been selected because of a metric saying the overall score indicates the kid will be successful.  Then some other yaahoo comes along and turns in a stellar pro career. 

There's a huge drop off in mental aptitude-character-guts in the guys that succeed vs/from the physical studs that merely survive a few a years on God-given physical ability.

Danielle Hunter would like a word.

Brian O’Neill was also drafted in the second round because of how athletic he was. 

but yes, I do agree with you for the most part. But you also take those chances. Even at the back end of the first round you’re getting a good player for the most part. Guys that have a good metal aptitude. Character is too hard to play it. Look at Isaiah Wilson right now. Physical freak, damn good college player, but his character is another subject. Hard to say he didn’t have guts.