2021 Draft Talk

swede700

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Danielle Hunter would like a word.

Brian O’Neill was also drafted in the second round because of how athletic he was. 

but yes, I do agree with you for the most part. But you also take those chances. Even at the back end of the first round you’re getting a good player for the most part. Guys that have a good metal aptitude. Character is too hard to play it. Look at Isaiah Wilson right now. Physical freak, damn good college player, but his character is another subject. Hard to say he didn’t have guts.

Sure . . . I'd love to talk with Danielle or Brian!  😄   You do remember the reasons both Hunter and O'Neill slid though, right? . . . somebody somewhere said this guy's production doesn't match . . . that's guys strength isn't good enough.  4&5 years into their careers, it's looking like they could be on the Ring of Honor when it's all said and done.  Part of their growth is simply getting older and their bodies developing more (along with the diet, exercise and training work they put into getting where they are).  Part of it is their persona; by that I mean I love listening to these two, in particular, in interviews.  They come off as genuine, polished, mature, respectful and friendly.  Their play on the field is violent, technical and dominating.  Blending those contrasts and being able to turn the switch on and off . . . to me, that's part of that attitude and character you address.

Wilson may (or not) have the heart, or the guts, or the mental toughness, to endure the toll.  I'm not faulting him solely for not being able to handle his business.  Without knowing anything else, I do hope he can turn this chapter into something productive for him. The kid might need psychological help to move past the only thing he's ever known, really.  One could look at Jared Allen, Pac Man Jones or a plethora of other players who made it in the NFL that had problems to overcome.   

THEEE major challenge teams have is figuring out which agent is blowing smoke up a GM's backside about a kid's intangibles vs the Coaches standing on a desk and stomping their feet for a guy in the later middle rounds.   In short, I don't believe what I read about each and everyone of these kids, but if others want to . . . that's cool. 

If Cosmi's tape and interviews tell the Vikes he's the guy in Rd 1, and they gamble a trade back to get him while picking up a 2nd or 3rd, how could anyone bash them for it?  Oh, wait, there is opportunity cost involved, and to that end, whoever's available at 14 could be argued long into the Alaskan sunset.  

1 hour ago, NoDakViking said:

Spielman was at TCUs pro day.  Any chance we trade down a bit and draft Moehrig?  Pair with Smith for his whole rookie contract and be the heir apparent top Safety (provided Smith is extended and retired a Viking)

I would not mind getting Moehrig.  Would be a good fit as a coverage safety and allow Harrison to play more around the line of scrimmage and move all over.  But 14th is high for Moehrig to be picked, and will be hell trading out of 14 unless the Bears or Washington really want Mac Jones and fear the Patriots will get him and move up...

Still getting a guy like Moehrig if the Vikings do not sign a OG in free agency is questionable.  There is a massive hole in both guard spots currently that is a bigger issue arguably than safety because filling that safety spot I feel could be easier in the 3rd round than filling both guard spots in the 3rd and 4th round but who knows.

If they get Lamp that will help that situation and sure Zimmer would love a coverage safety like Moehrig but still they could steal LeCounte possibly later in the draft if he drops because of that 40 time which is not him just he is currently still kind of injured from the accident.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

I personally don’t really care what he weighs, but I hate to say this, but if he does fall to 14 and most of the lineman are off the board, I’m going to hate passing him up. I really think he’s got “it”.

He would be very hard to pass on. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I said it last week, but there is no way he will be around at 14. He’s going to be a nightmare for defenses in the future.

I think Pitts will ultimately be a WR on the outside. It would not shock me if he was drafted ahead of Chase, Waddle, and Smith. 

However, I also don’t find it coincidental that in a year without the combine, just about every prospect is posting “unbelievable” workout numbers. 

Edited by SemperFeist

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think Pitts will ultimately be a WR on the outside. 

It would not shock me if he was drafted ahead of Chase, Waddle, and Smith. 

Never understood the thought of him needing to move outside. Keep him inside and let him fight with LB’s and Safeties. 

He’s far from a great blocker, but he does it.

He’s basically the same size of George Kittle, just more athletic.

4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I personally don’t really care what he weighs, but I hate to say this, but if he does fall to 14 and most of the lineman are off the board, I’m going to hate passing him up. I really think he’s got “it”.

Yeah he is super competitive and about as hard of a worker as you can get, wildly professional already in how he prepares.  I hope he runs and does physical testing though, but yeah not concerned with how he runs routes or catchines the ball.

I have see that DJ guy mock him to the Vikings, and yes if he is there no way they can pass on him.  Could be a solid pro receiver for 10 plus years.  Very similar to Justin Jefferson in how he runs routes and competes for the football in the air.  Will be curious how he compares to Jefferson athletically.

Edited by Ozzy

55 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Never understood the thought of him needing to move outside. Keep him inside and let him fight with LB’s and Safeties. 

He’s far from a great blocker, but he does it.

He’s basically the same size of George Kittle, just more athletic.

I don’t think anyone is saying he will need to move outside due to an inability to block, but putting him in that position might be his best fit. 

Two different trains of thought. 

On 3/21/2021 at 6:50 PM, NoDakViking said:

Spielman was at TCUs pro day.  Any chance we trade down a bit and draft Moehrig?  Pair with Smith for his whole rookie contract and be the heir apparent top Safety (provided Smith is extended and retired a Viking)

Yes, certainly.  He's on my list...while I wouldn't take him at #14, trade back and I'd certainly be more than fine with it.

Usually do not pay a ton of attention to them, but saw on ESPN Mel Kiper's most recent mock has the Vikings trading up to 9 with Denver to select Penei Sewell.

That would be freaking amazing I must say.  Would be shocking but that could be almost an ideal situation there, that dude is a super star that is getting way underrated in this process.  He is without question the best OT in the draft by far.  Athletic enough to play in the system also and is a nasty aggressive blocker with a huge upside.  Is a pipe dream really though, would be shocked if the Bengals do not take him but maybe they do not anymore with Reiff signing.  Miami as well would be foolish for them not to take him also with Wilson already being cut after trading for him a week ago.  

• Like 1