2021 Draft Talk

swede700

The gems are starting to show.  Some kid, a CB from Central Arkansas, posted a 4.40 40, 43" vertical and an 11' broad jump with great shuttle numbers . . . Zimm's probably smirking at this one!

Then at Charleston, a WR named Michael Strachan measured in at 6' 5" 226 lb, ran a 4.50 with a 1.55 10 yd split, jumped 35" and has 34" arms and 10" hands.  

I gotta say watching DeWayne Eskridge light it up on the field this year was great . . . but Strachan is Galloday 3.0 . . . Oh, and he had 19 TDs in 11 games in 2019.  I don't think DII Charleston played at all this past year, right?  Wonder if he makes it to Rd 4?

I've been watching some film on Mac Jones.  I really don't watch much college football, but around this time of year I do some film study.  He's not a world class athlete, he couldn't throw a football threw steele, but he has laser accuracy, and he moves well in the pocket and throws well on the run...probably even better than Kirk.  If he's there at 14, and the FO thanks there's good players in round 3 and 4...do we take him?

50 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I've been watching some film on Mac Jones.  I really don't watch much college football, but around this time of year I do some film study.  He's not a world class athlete, he couldn't throw a football threw steele, but he has laser accuracy, and he moves well in the pocket and throws well on the run...probably even better than Kirk.  If he's there at 14, and the FO thanks there's good players in round 3 and 4...do we take him?

I've been saying this for months. Mac Jones isn't horrible let him sit behind Kirk. Some people have rated him top 3.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

How about compare him to Alex Leatherwood. Leatherwood is taller, heavier, has longer arms, faster 40 time, better vertical, better broad jump as well.  Not sure about the bench because not sure Leatherwood did that one, Vera-Tucker did impress in the bench but to even pretend he is half as good as Nelson, Martin or Scherff I seriously doubt it.  Good upside but again why he is so much better than Leatherwood?  I do not see it.   Oh Vera-Tucker has that versatility to play tackle BS, yeah Leatherwood started at LT on the best team in the country and did it for what three years, one year at guard.  

Someone explain why Leatherwood is so awful.  Sure if one is looking at him as only a LT pass protector, yeah he is not idea but as a OG he could be awesome not to mention RT which he could pull off as well.

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Show one person who’s making that claim. 

No one around here sure, I am talking in general few if anyone has him as a 1st rounder much less the "expert" types, watching a pro day, and those mock drafts or draft top 50 rankings run on the bottom screen and Leatherwood is never anywhere to be found on any of those lists.  

I just do not really get why but maybe I am missing something.  No clue why Vera-Tucker is consensus  1st rounder and Leatherwood is not even in the discussion.  I would be fine with Vera-Tucker granted but again Leatherwood is bigger, taller, longer and more athletic based on those numbers and played against better competition at a much better program for four years.  Started three years in a row and even started as a freshman when Jonah Williams got hurt and played LT, then played OG the next year and LT the follow two years.  

Body control and balance are the knocks on Leatherwood, and likely why he’s not seen as a first rounder. There’s no denying Leatherwood’s size and athleticism, but he gets in trouble quite a bit with over extending, getting his pads out in front of his feet, and lunging. 

There’s certainly a lot to work with, but there’s also a lot to work on. Players like Vera-Tucker, at this point, are more technically sound and proficient.