Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Body control and balance are the knocks on Leatherwood, and likely why he’s not seen as a first rounder. There’s no denying Leatherwood’s size and athleticism, but he gets in trouble quite a bit with over extending, getting his pads out in front of his feet, and lunging. 

There’s certainly a lot to work with, but there’s also a lot to work on. Players like Vera-Tucker, at this point, are more technically sound and proficient. 

To be fair the same can be said about Cosmi and yet he has been climbing the boards.  I kind of see where Ozzy is coming from.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Body control and balance are the knocks on Leatherwood, and likely why he’s not seen as a first rounder. There’s no denying Leatherwood’s size and athleticism, but he gets in trouble quite a bit with over extending, getting his pads out in front of his feet, and lunging. 

There’s certainly a lot to work with, but there’s also a lot to work on. Players like Vera-Tucker, at this point, are more technically sound and proficient. 

So if he lacks body control and balance why did he won the Outland trophy and was a 1st team All American?  Granted if Sewell played he probably would have been the "LT" or top OL in those awards so there is that.  Leatherwood played 832 snaps this season, allowed two sacks, missed three assignments and committed five penalties, surrendered 3 QB hurries and four pressures when arguably playing out of position all season as a LT.  He is not a LT I feel and was out of position for most of his career.

 

Anyone ever watch Taylor Lewan in college his senior year?  The dude was 'off balance' quite a lot and gave up more than a few sacks in key games.  Has not really hurt him in the NFL, only thing that has hurt him is literally injuries.  

I just feel Leatherwood is a OG all the way and should be considered as such.  Would be more athletic and a better overall pass blocker than most guards and could do very well in a zone blocking scheme.  

 

Compare Leatherwood to Ezra Cleveland, Leatherwood is a little heaver, longer arms, bigger hands, higher vertical, better broad jump, and just a slightly slower 40 time.  Cleveland is considered this top of the line athlete and Leatherwood is not.  Just seems strange.  Granted would be interesting how Leatherwood does in the bench.

 

I think I showed it on here, Vera-Tucker got dominated and beat multiple times in that Pac-12 title game against an elite level rusher.  He was absolutely off balance and out of place in that game and beat off the snap badly.  Do no recall Leatherwood doing that in the SEC title game or national championship.  Still both guys were playing out of position this year so is hard to get a real read on them.  Still it is nuts, Vera-Tucker is considered this athletic versatile guard with a good upside and Leatherwood is what?  Not an athletic LT with not much upside when really he is a very athletic OG with a lot of upside and tons of versatility.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All the rave on Vera-Tucker is because of USC and his agent.   I too think Leatherwood is a better prospect.    And no, Vera Tucker isn't close to Nelson or a Hutch, IMO.   If Leatherwood were drafted, I would hope it would be to start . . . Probably at LT.     I kind of liked the way the right side worked toward the middle and end of the year.   

In any case, if they go OG in Rd 1, I'm feeling like they need to hit the well again in 3 or 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for my own reference here:

AVT                                    Leatherwood
H: 6044                             6051
W: 308                               312
Bench: 36                          NA
Vertical: 32                        34.5
Broad: 810                         910
40: 5.1u                              4.96u
20 split: 2.94u                   2.84u
10 split: 1.77u                     1.69u
Shuttle: 4.61u                    NA
3-cone: 7.65u                    NA
2021 RAS: 9.17u                 9.86u

Taken from MathBomb's twitter account.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With Miami signing Will Fuller and NYG signing Golladay right now I'm thinking the top 3 tackles are going to be gone before we pick at 14.

3 - Sewel 

5 - slater 

11- Darrisaw 

 

If those top 3 are gone I hope we don't force AVT at pick 14

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, viking said:

With Miami signing Will Fuller and NYG signing Golladay right now I'm thinking the top 3 tackles are going to be gone before we pick at 14.

3 - Sewel 

5 - slater 

11- Darrisaw 

 

If those top 3 are gone I hope we don't force AVT at pick 14

Signing a one year deal on Fuller in no way takes Miami off taking a WR or Pitts and the Giants took Andrew Thomas at 4 last year so I think they could take the top D-lineman.

 

Also I don't think it is forcing anything taking Tucker he has  been pegged as a top 15 pick type player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

Signing a one year deal on Fuller in no way takes Miami off taking a WR or Pitts and the Giants took Andrew Thomas at 4 last year so I think they could take the top D-lineman.

 

Also I don't think it is forcing anything taking Tucker he has  been pegged as a top 15 pick type player.

Taking Fuller lets them go BPA which would mean Sewel IMO. Giants are loaded with weapons and just signed leo williams to a huge deal, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they take the best OL available - they have to protect danny dimes

Edited by viking
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, solidvikingfan said:

Signing a one year deal on Fuller in no way takes Miami off taking a WR or Pitts and the Giants took Andrew Thomas at 4 last year so I think they could take the top D-lineman.

 

Also I don't think it is forcing anything taking Tucker he has  been pegged as a top 15 pick type player.

I would be happy.  Darrisaw and Tucker are both guards in my opinion.  Between the two I prefer Tucker especially for our blocking scheme.  Darrisaw just looks like he has heavy feet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...