2021 Draft Talk

swede700

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I get the appeal of having someone like Sewell that you think you can plug into the LT for the next decade, but that's a TON of draft capital for a non-QB.  Personally, I couldn't justify that kind of package.

I absolutely get that. But if there's a non-QB position to give it up for, LT would be it. 

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

If I thought Sewell was Anthony Munoz or Jonathan Ogden, I'd give up two first rounders. 

But if we're using the SF/MIA trade as a blueprint, it's 2 FRPs and a 3rd round pick to move up to 5.  And nobody selects a player thinking they're going to bust.  But you have to weight that into the equation.

I'm curious if QBs will really go 1 - 4.  Part of me thinks the 49er's move up wasn't just to take one of Lance, Fields or Wilson.   They have one guy they want and I'm thinking they're 100% sure he'll be there.    This leads me to believe Sewell is going to the Jets at 2.   Selah seems to be very good at motivating and coaching players, so why not give him the final year or two of a rookie's deal to see what he can do?    If Darnell were an overpaid vet QB, I agree he'd be gone.   

In any case, unless the Steelers, Bears, or WFT jump above the Vikings, I think Jones or Lance make it to #14.   And then, Rick can work his magic.  

1 hour ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I'm curious if QBs will really go 1 - 4.  Part of me thinks the 49er's move up wasn't just to take one of Lance, Fields or Wilson.   They have one guy they want and I'm thinking they're 100% sure he'll be there.    This leads me to believe Sewell is going to the Jets at 2.   Selah seems to be very good at motivating and coaching players, so why not give him the final year or two of a rookie's deal to see what he can do?    If Darnell were an overpaid vet QB, I agree he'd be gone.   

In any case, unless the Steelers, Bears, or WFT jump above the Vikings, I think Jones or Lance make it to #14.   And then, Rick can work his magic.  

There might be some special players there at 14. Those top 5 receivers are nasty. A lot of teams desperately need and amazing receiver. We may even be able to draft a special Adrian Peterson Type player because of the QB class this year. 5 qb's could go before 14.

5 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

That would be interesting, but my guess is Lawrence, Lance and Wilson are picked in the top 3 selections.  Fields maybe falls to Carolina but that is it.  To me Lance did amazing in his pro day and showcased some big time arm talent much less being built like a tank compared to what he looked like a year ago.  The 49ers would love to get him or Zach Wilson and that is why they moved up.

Jets with their history, sure on paper go Sewell or Chase but seriously doubt they pass on a QB even though it is a risk to take one when Darnold is not a finished prospect.  The talk of Sewell dropping to say #9 though seems nuts, considering he is the best OT in the draft.  Hopefully he works out fully and helps showcase his athletic ability and power.  

18 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

The Eagles tried to trade up to 3 thinking they could get Wilson.

I think QB goes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8. 

Carolina is probably sweating what Detroit is going to do at 7. I have to thank that the reason Miami jumped back up to 6 from 12 is to get ahead of Detroit and have their choice of all of the receivers. 

1. QB
2. QB
3. QB
4. QB
5. OT
6. WR

Detroit seems willing to play the long game, and I could easily see them trading down with a team looking to get the last of the starting caliber QBs. 

48 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think QB goes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8. 

Carolina is probably sweating what Detroit is going to do at 7. I have to thank that the reason Miami jumped back up to 6 from 12 is to get ahead of Detroit and have their choice of all of the receivers. 

1. QB
2. QB
3. QB
4. QB
5. OT
6. WR

Detroit seems willing to play the long game, and I could easily see them trading down with a team looking to get the last of the starting caliber QBs. 

I agree that a 5th QB will be taken before the Vikings pick. Once QB4 goes I think QB-needy teams are going to be working the phones to get up and get that last QB.

40 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I agree that a 5th QB will be taken before the Vikings pick. Once QB4 goes I think QB-needy teams are going to be working the phones to get up and get that last QB.

And in 3 years, which 2 or 3 of those 5 will we be calling busts...because it will happen. 

25 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And in 3 years, which 2 or 3 of those 5 will we be calling busts...because it will happen. 

I would say any and all of the ones who will be drafted by a team that doesn’t have a strong roster, or the building blocks to build a strong roster, around them. 

However, looking at the teams that are poised to draft a QB, I could see this class turning out to be something similar to the 2003 draft class. 

Quite frankly, of the top 4 teams that I expect to take a QB, Lawrence in Jacksonville is the one I’d be the most concerned about. I think it was an absolute disaster of a decision for Jacksonville to hire Urban Meyer. 

Edited by SemperFeist