2021 Draft Talk

swede700

29 minutes ago, Freakout said:

Phillips concussion history is scary.  I don't know if I could chance a 1st round pick on him.

Don’t think I’d take him in the first either with having previously, medically, retired. 

but strictly based on the player I’d rather have. Better athlete, better tape, better player. 

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

It would be for me.  I don't mind trading down and hopefully picking up a 2nd round pick, but I wouldn't want to drop out of the 1st round altogether.

Would you consider the trade if the team was able to use pick 33 and pick 130, which they get in that trade, to move into the back of the first round?

It would be similar to the Eagles trading down to 12 and then back up to 6 with the Vikings instead trading down from 14 and back up. If the trade back up is to pick 32 it means the Vikings would in effect be trading back from 14 to 32 in order to pick up 45 and 170.

For me that wouldn't be enough to move back that far, but I am wondering how much the end of the first is the hard line for you.

If people are hoping to trade down and get a 2nd round pick as compensation, I think they’re going to be disappointed that recent history would suggest that it’s unlikely. Especially if you want to remain in the 1st round. 

Teams outside of the top 10 who have traded down, and remained in the 1st round, have generally received only a 3rd round pick as extra compensation, or the equivalent of a 3rd round pick. 

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

A 7.5 cone drill probably just took Rousseau off the Vikings board. 

Maybe, but according to Arif, they look more at broad jump than three cone.  And he's also barely above average in that as well, so that's more likely to knock him way down the board...but then again, it also depends upon how they evaluate pro days, because the conditions are never consistent.  And the fact that he opted out may not have him in great condition either.  Just another factor.  

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Maybe, but according to Arif, they look more at broad jump than three cone.  And he's also barely above average in that as well, so that's more likely to knock him way down the board...but then again, it also depends upon how they evaluate pro days, because the conditions are never consistent.  And the fact that he opted out may not have him in great condition either.  Just another factor.  

I'd almost expect Opt Outs should be in better shape as they had time to specifically train for these exact things.  A guy that played a full season wouldn't have as much time working on his track speed or vertical.

I don't know what any teams views on players opting out would be, but any player that opted out and then crapped the bed on these drills or showed up less than top shape would give me serious concern. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If people are hoping to trade down and get a 2nd round pick as compensation, I think they’re going to be disappointed that recent history would suggest that it’s unlikely. Especially if you want to remain in the 1st round. 

Teams outside of the top 10 who have traded down, and remained in the 1st round, have generally received only a 3rd round pick as extra compensation, or the equivalent of a 3rd round pick. 

To top that from wanting an O-lineman many different teams I've seen have been mocked as taking them at 17 and from 19-21 so a big trade back could cost us the ability to get that needed help as they get gobbled up by other teams.

Honestly this draft has so much depth at we better be able to get a decent guard or two in the draft this year even with the third round picks. Package your 2nd third round pick and move up for an early contributor. Use a late round pick and move from 78 to 69 and go for somebody like Wyatt Davis. Be Aggressive.

Edited by HeydudemanG

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I wouldn't mind another 3rd which could be used in combo with a lower round pick to get back into the 2nd round.  I think the Vikings need to have a presence in the 1st and the 2nd round.

11 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

I'd almost expect Opt Outs should be in better shape as they had time to specifically train for these exact things.  A guy that played a full season wouldn't have as much time working on his track speed or vertical.

I don't know what any teams views on players opting out would be, but any player that opted out and then crapped the bed on these drills or showed up less than top shape would give me serious concern. 

I agree, but I'm not really familiar with the procedures regarding the opt-outs, whether they were able to hire agents right away (which is who would have made sure they were prepared) or whether they still had the same access to training as if they had been on the team.  If they didn't have that same access, that might have led him to not be in as great shape as one would think.

Landon Dickerson is quite a personality, sure Vikings probably do not get him and he goes bottom half of the 2nd round but what a character!  Dude would be fun to be around that is for sure and Mac Jones sure knows how to relate to his teammates and is beloved by almost all of them.  

10 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Usually about the time I'm shown how little I know about scouting. Thank you!

I doubt he drops to day three, that would be a surprise.  Sure Phillips out ran him but not like Rousseau was awful or something because he was not.  Why would a long dude like him run well anyway with thin legs?  Roche only ran a little slower than Rousseau and no one is saying anything about how bad he was.  

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:
I doubt he drops to day three, that would be a surprise.  Sure Phillips out ran him but not like Rousseau was awful or something because he was not.  Why would a long dude like him run well anyway with thin legs?  Roche only ran a little slower than Rousseau and no one is saying anything about how bad he was.  

Probably not but I thought he'd get taken in the top 10 when I started looking at the draft. 

15 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Probably not but I thought he'd get taken in the top 10 when I started looking at the draft. 

Pretty sure everyone thought that before the start of the season and even during because he sat out.  His upside is huge and if he played this year and got 15+ sacks probably no one would care about his 40 time which is not awful but yeah not amazing either.  Still Phillips could get hurt again and his career is over, so there is that issue with him.  

Comments about Rousseau's 40 time kinda of make me giggle.    I hope every team views him just as Jared Allen was viewed . . . . I think they measure pretty much the same, except Rousseau's a bit faster.    If he runs the circle like Jared, he might be worth a 3rd.   😉  

Then again, this year's crop of DEs and OTs who are 6' 6"+  running sub-5 is pretty impressive.    Would we be seeing the same had the combine occurred?   Guess we just won't know.   

Should the Vikes take Rousseau at 14?   I'm not sure thats needed . . .but I wouldn't be against it.