2021 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Comments about Rousseau's 40 time kinda of make me giggle.    I hope every team views him just as Jared Allen was viewed . . . . I think they measure pretty much the same, except Rousseau's a bit faster.    If he runs the circle like Jared, he might be worth a 3rd.   😉  

Then again, this year's crop of DEs and OTs who are 6' 6"+  running sub-5 is pretty impressive.    Would we be seeing the same had the combine occurred?   Guess we just won't know.   

Should the Vikes take Rousseau at 14?   I'm not sure thats needed . . .but I wouldn't be against it. 

If they don't take OL in round one,  just plan on a backup QB...... how is this even a debate? 

ESPN insider Jim Nagy reported that Minnesota is among six teams attending Texas A&M quarterback Kellen Mond’s pro day on Tuesday to scout the Day Two draft prospect.

Jim Nagy

@JimNagy_SB

Teams with OC or QB coaches in attendance Texas A&M pro-day to watch Kellen Mond:

* Steelers

* Panthers

* Bears

* Bengals

* Cowboys

* Vikings

On 3/25/2021 at 9:35 AM, VikeManDan said:

Just for my own reference here:

AVT                                    Leatherwood
H: 6044                             6051
W: 308                               312
Bench: 36                          NA
Vertical: 32                        34.5
Broad: 810                         910
40: 5.1u                              4.96u
20 split: 2.94u                   2.84u
10 split: 1.77u                     1.69u
Shuttle: 4.61u                    NA
3-cone: 7.65u                    NA
2021 RAS: 9.17u                 9.86u

Taken from MathBomb's twitter account.

Another post 1st round OL option is Trey Smith, OG, Tennessee. Only real concern with him is the blood clots in his lungs that were discovered in 2018. He did however return to play in 2019 and 2020. If the guys above fit the Vikings "mold" for OL I don't know why Smith would be excluded. Day 1 starter at LG.

H: 6054
W: 321
BP: 32
Vert: 31
Broad: 904
40: 5.11u
20: 2.96u
10: 1.77u
3c: 7.43u

RAS: 9.97u

17 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

If they don't take OL in round one,  just plan on a backup QB...... how is this even a debate? 

I've been on the 1st round OLine bandwagon forever,and I hope they take a great one, especially at LG.   

What I was laughing about was the post (I assume as sarcasm) that Rousseau's a 3rd Rd talent because of his 40 time.    

I was also pointing out the OTs from small schools popping at their pro days.   Seems like there will be some studs moving up boards from day 3.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Another post 1st round OL option is Trey Smith, OG, Tennessee. Only real concern with him is the blood clots in his lungs that were discovered in 2018. He did however return to play in 2019 and 2020. If the guys above fit the Vikings "mold" for OL I don't know why Smith would be excluded. Day 1 starter at LG.

H: 6054
W: 321
BP: 32
Vert: 31
Broad: 904
40: 5.11u
20: 2.96u
10: 1.77u
3c: 7.43u

RAS: 9.97u

How is Trey Smith's RAS score higher than Leatherwood who ran faster and jumped higher?  What because he gets more points for being heavier?  I like Trey Smith but not sure he is a scheme fit honestly and yeah those blood clots are scary for him personally health wise and in term so his long term potential as a pro.  Also no way he is a 1st round option I feel, I am not a huge AVT fan but would take him all day long 1st round over Trey Smith.  I would also take Darrisaw over him as well or say Cosmi or more likely Slater.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

How is Trey Smith's RAS score higher than Leatherwood who ran faster and jumped higher?  What because he gets more points for being heavier?  I like Trey Smith but not sure he is a scheme fit honestly and yeah those blood clots are scary for him personally health wise and in term so his long term potential as a pro.  Also no way he is a 1st round option I feel, I am not a huge AVT fan but would take him all day long 1st round over Trey Smith.  I would also take Darrisaw over him as well or say Cosmi or more likely Slater.  

Post 1st round meaning after the 1st round. I never said I’d take him at 14. 

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I like Trey Smith and Aaron Banks, scheme be dammed.   Due to the clots though, I'd prefer Banks right now.    It'll be very interesting to see how his pro day goes.   

2 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I like Trey Smith and Aaron Banks, scheme be dammed.   Due to the clots though, I'd prefer Banks right now.    It'll be very interesting to see how his pro day goes.   

Banks pro day is tomorrow right?

Those numbers from Smith tell me he has the athletic makeup to play in our scheme.

1 hour ago, KeithVikings28 said:

What do we think about a late round flier on QB Ian Book? 

Ahh yes, another late round rookie QB with questionable upside that fans will think is the savior of the franchise and will clamor for them to start only for them to get cut, fans will complain, and he'll barely catch on with another team.

36 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Banks pro day is tomorrow right?

Those numbers from Smith tell me he has the athletic makeup to play in our scheme.

Actually, I just read ND's pro day was today.    Banks ran a 5.3 at 325.    Didn't see BP reps, jumps, splits or shuttles times.  Need to find those . . . It'd be nice to see his short area quickness/twitch compared to others.  He might just fall to Rd 3 or 4 . . . Not a moot point given the state of the OLine -  I'm thinking 2 of first 4 picks need to be OLine.  

8 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Actually, I just read ND's pro day was today.    Banks ran a 5.3 at 325.    Didn't see BP reps, jumps, splits or shuttles times.  Need to find those . . . It'd be nice to see his short area quickness/twitch compared to others.  He might just fall to Rd 3 or 4 . . . Not a moot point given the state of the OLine -  I'm thinking 2 of first 4 picks need to be OLine.