2021 Draft Talk

swede700

10 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

McCloud's time is really impressive!   Good size too!  For Banks, I'm try to figure how his 3 cone is so fast and his 40 and short shuttle aren't?  Nice vertical for a 325 pound guy!   Actually all of the ND linemen had good days.  

Definitely some nice defensive prospects too.  

24 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Also @Ozzy I went on the RAS site and ran Leatherwood as an OT and OG, think the score I previously posted was as an OT.

Leatherwood OT - RAS 9.68
Leatherwood OG - RAS 9.96

T. Smith OT - RAS 9.5
T. Smith OG - RAS 9.9

I am not a math guy, but I still do not understand why Smith would be higher at OG when he ran slower and did not jump as high.  Granted Leatherwood did not do every drill so maybe that is why, and Smith is heavier so possibly it changes the results of times based on being 10 pounds heavier.  Either way I still do not think he is a scheme fit but basically any OL is welcome with this group currently here.  

Leatherwood did not to the shuttle, 3 cone or the bench so really that score should be insufficient data.  Trey Smith got 32 reps on 225 which is really solid as well and no way the calculation does not change a lot when someone does or does not do multiple drills.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I am not a math guy, but I still do not understand why Smith would be higher at OG when he ran slower and did not jump as high.  Granted Leatherwood did not do every drill so maybe that is why, and Smith is heavier so possibly it changes the results of times based on being 10 pounds heavier.  Either way I still do not think he is a scheme fit but basically any OL is welcome with this group currently here.  

Leatherwood did not to the shuttle, 3 cone or the bench so really that score should be insufficient data.  Trey Smith got 32 reps on 225 which is really solid as well and no way the calculation does not change a lot when someone does or does not do multiple drills.  

Leatherwood scored higher than Smith as both an OT and OG though.

OG 9.96 (Leatherwood) > 9.9 (Smith) and OT 9.68 (Leatherwood) > 9.5 (Smith)

Here are Leatherwood's and Smith's RAS profiles as OG's.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/ras-information/?PlayerID=17816&pos=OG&wu=

https://relativeathleticscores.com/ras-information/?PlayerID=17945

I'd encourage you to explore the site as I can't explain the in's and out's of the methodology but it is all there for your reading pleasure.

Regardless, I'd be happy with either or in purple next year as you said. 

I’m still on the boat of, if Sewell and Slater are off the board & Lawrence, Fields, Lance, and Jones go before us, we almost just go BPA. 

I am really just hating the fact of letting some of these guys go. I also wouldn’t hate trading down. I just can’t get myself to believe we have to be forced to take some of these lineman at 14 where we could get them in the 20’s. 

28 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I’m still on the boat of, if Sewell and Slater are off the board & Lawrence, Fields, Lance, and Jones go before us, we almost just go BPA. 

I am really just hating the fact of letting some of these guys go. I also wouldn’t hate trading down. I just can’t get myself to believe we have to be forced to take some of these lineman at 14 where we could get them in the 20’s. 

Depends on the position. Taking a WR makes no sense, no matter who falls. Pitts would be intriguing since Smith hasn’t done a ton. I could get on board with taking a CB after watching last year, but why sign Peterson and Alexander? Im pretty much open to any DL, pass rushers are too valuable to simply be content with the current group. And if a franchise QB falls (Spielman has to make that distinction and he hasn’t been good at it) grab him and develop him for a year behind Cousins. 

Edited by vikingsrule

41 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Also, for anyone that is interested here is Dakota Dozier's RAS card.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/ras-information/?PlayerID=11148

And Orlando Brown Jr has a 0.72 score and he is a two time Pro Bowl OT.

28 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

True but all the wow players should all be gone by the Vikings pick.  Slater is one of the few who could be there, all the rest are absolutely gone so that is kind of disappointing.  

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, it certainly isn't the be all end all. I recall Orlando Brown Jr. being pretty good on the field in college though. I'm not sure how Dozier was regarded as a college prospect.

Regardless, my point with the Dozier RAS card is that if he can "play" or "fit in" our scheme I'd like to think Trey Smith and plenty of other OL could.

4 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

True, it certainly isn't the be all end all. I recall Orlando Brown Jr. being pretty good on the field in college though. I'm not sure how Dozier was regarded as a college prospect.

Regardless, my point with the Dozier RAS card is that if he can "play" or "fit in" our scheme I'd like to think Trey Smith and plenty of other OL could.

Yeah I would like to throw that scheme right out the window.  Bradbury was drafted over Dalton Risner because he is what not as athletic, and Risner I feel is the better player as far and I wanted them to take him instead.  Hopefully Bradbury improves but outside of a few stretch plays and blocking on the 2nd level he is not all that good.  

And Cleveland's athletic ability has not shown up a ton on the field, same for O'Neill who is good but if he is such a good athlete why did he struggle in pass pro so much last year?  Hard to argue with the rushing results but yeah taking the best OL period is what they should do.

• Like 2

Frankly, I think a lot of the workout numbers are really inflated this year because there's no combine. Teams are going to have to trust their eyes and tape more than they have for decades. Reading these boards (and others), you'd think that this is a generational draft class where starting caliber players will litter the 6th and 7th rounds. I personally view this draft class with a hefty dose of skepticism. 

How would that cause me to draft? Trade downs for more lottery tickets. UNLESS, there's a guy available who I know is the truth...much like how the team seemed to feel about Jefferson last year. 

I think that Trevor Lawrence will be the only 10 year starting QB taken in the first round. I think there's going to be a big bust rate on 1st rounders this year (Looking at you, Rousseau). I think there's going to be a lot of value to be found in the mid-rounds because there just isn't enough tape on a lot of these guys. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Depends on the position. Taking a WR makes no sense, no matter who falls. Pitts would be intriguing since Smith hasn’t done a ton. I could get on board with taking a CB after watching last year, but why sign Peterson and Alexander? Im pretty much open to any DL, pass rushers are too valuable to simply be content with the current group. And if a franchise QB falls (Spielman has to make that distinction and he hasn’t been good at it) grab him and develop him for a year behind Cousins. 

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

True but all the wow players should all be gone by the Vikings pick.  Slater is one of the few who could be there, all the rest are absolutely gone so that is kind of disappointing.  

I guess I don’t see why a WR would be a 100% a waste, nor CB. 

Thielen will hit a wall sooner than later. If we can’t improve the line immediately, give him some weapons. I’m not saying this is “the” right option. But I guess I don’t see the value of the rest of the offensive lineman round one. I like where the value is in round 2-3 with some of these guys. Even the value with them towards the bottom end of round 1. WR’s also go both ways. 

CB’s on the other hand I 100% understand taking one. Most of everyone won’t be thrilled but Peterson is on a 1 year contract. We’ve seen Danzler hurt. It just leaves more options on the back end of the defense for us. Fresh legs are always nice. But I also would probably not take anyone outside of Surtain or Horn at #14. 

Honestly it’s a little bit of an odd spot where normally I find myself liking some guys in the middle of the draft, but I see the Value for guys on the line like Leatherwood at the back end of the 1st round over some of the other options we have now.

Seems like the kind of draft where we may “overdraft” an OL at 14 right before a potential run on OL. Didn’t we see this during the Brian O’Neill draft. Took Mike Hughes instead of OL in round one because there was none left. That’s just the feeling I get given all of the mentioned OL talent in the mid to late 20s. I’m fine taking one of those players at 14 honestly as value continues to be the justification for not looking at OL early. Given there isn’t a second round pick to grab one later, I think it’s pertinent to find a way to get one day one. But I’m not complaining if they end up with a pass rusher either.

• Like 1