Potential Midseason Trades

Big T

2 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Yeah, you're not going to win if Crowder is the only WR that requires attention. I like him and Herndon, but having Robby on the outside helped them a lot more than some give him credit for. For Herndon to work, we have to hope he is better than he was his rookie year under a different offense. Crowder is great to have when teams can't load the box. Perriman or Mims have to be the guys to do it or we will need to add someone like Juju if we're trying to have a chance at winning. 

Robby wasn’t scaring anyone either. You just had to respect his vertical game. But he didn’t require much besides that. Crowder is a nice piece, but by no means should be be our best WR. We need outside WRs to demand respect to open up the offense. Now the positive is that we have 2 guys with “potential” to do that. But one’s a rookie and the other is still young but really only has 6 good games to his 4 year career. So the potential is there. But that’s all it is at this stage potential. 

Advanced issues found

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Robby wasn’t scaring anyone either. You just had to respect his vertical game. But he didn’t require much besides that. Crowder is a nice piece, but by no means should be our best WR. We need outside WRs to demand respect to open up the offense. Now the positive is that we have 2 guys with “potential” to do that. But one’s a rookie and the other is still young but really only has 6 good games to his 4 year career. So the potential is there. But that’s all it is at this stage potential. 

But that's the point. The vert game was a threat because of him. Without him, safeties are able to creep up and play closer to Crowder. 

I agree with everything else you said though. It's all potential. Even if Perriman is good, he will have to prove he can do it against potential #1 CBs because there isn't a Godwin or Evans around him now. So that will be another question for him to answer. Going into 2021, I obviously feel good about Cager and Mims, but they both have to adapt to the NFL game during a pandemic offseason for a coach that may be on the hot seat. 

I was not nearly as high on Robby as most were. I think there was little special about him. Hence why he was an UDFA. Of course he exceeded those UDFA expectations. But he’s in essence a 1 trick pony who had a couple seasons of inflated stats bc we aren’t a good football team and had to throw a bunch bc we were down. Our 2 new guys can do what he could do and more. So I’m optimistic. 

• Like 1

But his stats also suffered because his QBs were Bryce Petty, McCown, Hackenberg, Falk, and Sam still learning. He's no Julio Jones but he would have been better with a solid QB situation. I won't stick on this subject now that it's old. I hope Perriman is legit. 

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

But his stats also suffered because his QBs were Bryce Petty, McCown, Hackenberg, Falk, and Sam still learning. He's no Julio Jones but he would have been better with a solid QB situation. I won't stick on this subject now that it's old. I hope Perriman is legit. 

I think Perriman can be more all round WR than RA.  He is much stronger but also injury prone.   Legit or not, Perriman needs to earn Darnold's trust to be actually productive.   If Crowder ends up leading the team after this season, Darnold is in big trouble as he is entering the test season (3rd season)

3 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I’m well aware that this is going to sound like I’m a Robby hater... but a QB has to throw for nearly 200+ yards a game. Those Yards have to go somewhere. That doesn’t mean those yards are going to great receiving options. IMO he was a product “the yards had to go somewhere”

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

I think Perriman can be more all round WR than RA.  He is much stronger but also injury prone.   Legit or not, Perriman needs to earn Darnold's trust to be actually productive.   If Crowder ends up leading the team after this season, Darnold is in big trouble as he is entering the test season (3rd season)

I'm not sure why this is such a popular narrative. Everything he's done so far would suggest otherwise, including his breakout in Tampa. Is the potential there because of his size/physicality? Sure, but you could say that about a lot of guys.  

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

I'm not sure why this is such a popular narrative. Everything he's done so far would suggest otherwise, including his breakout in Tampa. Is the potential there because of his size/physicality? Sure, but you could say that about a lot of guys.  

I always think the same when I hear this. I think it’s literally just because he’s like 20 lbs heavier than RA so people just assume he has “potential” to do more.

12 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I always think the same when I hear this. I think it’s literally just because he’s like 20 lbs heavier than RA so people just assume he has “potential” to do more.

People think he has a higher potential cause he was drafted as a 1st rounder a few seasons ago. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KodiakThunder said:

People think he has a higher potential cause he was drafted as a 1st rounder a few seasons ago. 

He can do more in the intermediate game and even the screen game. Also is better after the catch. Robby was good at what he did but I feel like Perriman can replace that and give us a bit more flexibility. I also like his ability to play through contract. Him and Mims in the RZ with Herndon/Griffin should give us some match up advantages size wise. 

• Like 1

I think we could see 4 guys with around 800 yards which is what I always envisioned for a successful offense.  It wouldn't shock me to see Herndon, Crowder, Perriman, and Mims all in the 700 to 900 range.  Sprinkle in your RB and random other player yardage and that would put Sam around the 4k mark which is where he needs to be for us to be successful.  

I love having the diverse options we have on offense where you can't just double a WR or a TE and slow the offense.  Good teams spread the ball around which makes it so much tougher to defend against.

We really just need to stay healthy because we lack the depth needed on offense to sustain a long term injury at the skill positions.  We can sustain it for a few weeks but we really need to stay healthy or add a vet WR after TC cuts which I think we'll do.

There is no reason we can't go toe to toe with BUF this year.  Got to think they are the more talented roster overall but we have Sam who if protected by this OL I think will prove he is the best QB in this division.  If he can be that guy he can elevate our team to AFC east contenders despite not having as talented a squad as BUF.

There is reason for optimism this year and it all starts with protection for Sam.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Sort of.   His traits may create more plays on the book than RA.   chain moving, crossing thru LB area to set up for TE, explosiveness from LOS, yard 5 and yard 10, etc.   His traits should make us feel good but because of his injury history and ineffectiveness, we reserve the concern there.

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

He can do more in the intermediate game and even the screen game. Also is better after the catch. Robby was good at what he did but I feel like Perriman can replace that and give us a bit more flexibility. I also like his ability to play through contract. Him and Mims in the RZ with Herndon/Griffin should give us some match up advantages size wise. 

Again, this just simply isn't true.. 

• Average yards per target: 16.1(4th)
  • Yards per reception: 17.9 (5th) 
  • YAC above expectation: -2 (LAST!!) 

For comparison.. Robby: 

• Average yards per target: 15.3 (7th)
  • Yards per reception: 15 (20th) 
  • YAC above expectation: -.02

This idea that Perriman is going to come here and provide more flexibility is misleading - He's been the same one dimensional threat Robby was, if not worse. Doesn't mean he can't improve, but assuming he's a more complete WR is purely speculation to this point. 

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Sort of.   His traits may create more plays on the book than RA.   chain moving, crossing thru LB area to set up for TE, explosiveness from LOS, yard 5 and yard 10, etc.   His traits should make us feel good but because of his injury history and ineffectiveness, we reserve the concern there.

His traits being... Size/physicality?

I just posted some stats to illustrate the similarities with Robby. I agree that he "Should" be able to create more plays, but the reality is he hasn't shown that to this point in his career. All this talk about him being a more complete WR is based on assumptions, not productivity. 

29 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Again, this just simply isn't true.. 

• Average yards per target: 16.1(4th)
  • Yards per reception: 17.9 (5th) 
  • YAC above expectation: -2 (LAST!!) 

For comparison.. Robby: 

• Average yards per target: 15.3 (7th)
  • Yards per reception: 15 (20th) 
  • YAC above expectation: -.02

This idea that Perriman is going to come here and provide more flexibility is misleading - He's been the same one dimensional threat Robby was, if not worse. Doesn't mean he can't improve, but assuming he's a more complete WR is purely speculation to this point. 

The biggest difference though you’re leaving out. Robby has had every opportunity to show he’s more. Perriman hasn’t bc of injuries and where he was on the depth chart bc of those injuries. So while you can knock his injuries... to compare his stats to Robbys isn’t apples to apples.