2017's Defense

Hunter2_1

We rank 32nd in yards given up with 461 per game. We rank 32nd in yards per play, giving up 7.1 there. We give up big plays, which is unusual for us; we have given up around 5-7 big plays in three games. We give up the most points per game, and we have given up the most points total, so far.

If the season were to end today, we'd have a historically bad defense.

Historically, our defense progresses and improves throughout the season. But you could make the argument that this is looking like the worst defense in the BB era. 

When do you start worrying, if at all?

6 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Same. It's weird, we've kept our secondary intact, apart from the weak link where we have brought in a better replacement...

The big plays look to be either plays where the QB has tons of time, times where the offense creates a mismatch on a LB or miscommunication between guys who haven't played much. 

I don't really see much to worry about except the poor tackling of the QB as we saw on Sunday. The secondary will come together as they get more time playing with each other. 

The LB's are an issue but most teams won't be able to exploit it too much.

7 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

The big plays look to be either plays where the QB has tons of time, times where the offense creates a mismatch on a LB or miscommunication between guys who haven't played much. 

I don't really see much to worry about except the poor tackling of the QB as we saw on Sunday. The secondary will come together as they get more time playing with each other. 

The LB's are an issue but most teams won't be able to exploit it too much.

From memory;

The Hunt big play TD was on miscommunication, as there's no way we would have intended to use Marsh to run with Hunt down the seam. And/or lack of pressure.

The Hill TD was miscommunication with a new member

The Watson yolo plays came from not tackling QB effectively and/or lack of pressure

Brees lobs were lack of pressure/ it being Brees.

Any others?

17 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

I'm not worried except about the fundamental lack of speed and athleticism in the LB group.

They really need Hightower healthy for the stretch run. It would be very difficult to put together an adequate D in the playoffs without him. 

Do you think without Langi (who just brings some speed, I know he's raw) and Shea they are playing without some speed they could be getting back by week 8?

It's early season and the defense is work in progress. In the past it's taken a few weeks for BB to work out the best fit for the defensive talent on the roster. I have faith that, somehow, he'll figure a way to play to the strength of a deep and talented secondary but lack of speed at the LB position. Hightower coming back will be big.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an FA signing or another trade in the next few weeks.

Think about all the guys in that front 7 that arent there this year. You have Sheard, Long, Ninkovich, McClellin, Vincent Valentine, and to a lesser extent but still felt Hightower. 4 of those guys started many games, which i more than half of the starting front 7 from last year gone and not really replaced (the only real addition besides rookie Wise was Lawerence Guy). 

I will echo what many have said, getting High back will be big. However, this is almost a brand new defense up front, it is not going to be pretty at first. 

1 hour ago, iothar said:

Do you think without Langi (who just brings some speed, I know he's raw) and Shea they are playing without some speed they could be getting back by week 8?

McLellin, if he returns, is mediocre at best. He could improve the athleticism of the group but he isn't really an upgrade 

Langi will remain a gameday inactive I would imagine. 

45 minutes ago, iothar said:

It's not pressure that is lacking. The real effect to me is Branch coming on slowly, and the secondary really not playing together well. Devin seems to be following QB eyes rather than the play.

The DL has, in some ways, benefitted from Branch's benching. Butler has filled in nicely and added a little bit of a pass rush element which Branch lacks. 

Hightower being out is the biggest factor. They're mostly running 4-2-5 and neither Van Noy nor Roberts are very good in coverage. How Harris hasn't gotten more snaps is crazy. I'm curious how Flowers is developing beyond ST, as he's not getting many snaps either.

The secondary has been inconsistent. Hopefully they'll get better. Obviously there was Butler not playing well, although he improved Sunday. But then Gilmore didn't have a very good game vs. the Texans. After watching the game again, some of the angles he took in the game were off, but I think it was mainly a communication issue.

McCourty is supposed to read the QB's eyes, I don't see what the problem is there. On that one TD to Ellington, Watson looked toward Hopkins who was being single-covered by (I think) Gilmore. Absolutely fine with McCourty moving that way. That TD was on Jones, who didn't look back until it was too late. Again, inconsistency, as Jones played well vs. the Saints.

DL is fine imo. I'm hoping that getting Hightower back and the secondary gelling will turn the defense around pretty dramatically in terms of yards and points against.

I feel like we're missing something up the middle. It's been too easy for RBs to rip off 4,5 and 6 yard gains per down. Whether that's because Hightower has moved/been absent, and Branch starting slowly (or dropping off), I don't know. I'd certainly feel better if we had a Brandon Williams at DT or a thumper in the MLB. 

Archived