2017's Defense

Hunter2_1

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Tell you who I don't want; **** Lebeau. Just shipped 50 to the Texans. Watson made similar slippery plays as he did against us. Perhaps last week wasn't such a bad performance...?

LeBeau is a senile old man at this point. Wish we could get Vrabel.

Just now, everlong said:

LeBeau is a senile old man at this point. Wish we could get Vrabel.

Is Vrabel going to bring Watt and Clowney with him? Because he has the 24th ranked D coming into today with 2 of the best front 7 players in the league (one of whom is one of the best in modern history).

But he's likely not going to be available.

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Tell you who I don't want; **** Lebeau. Just shipped 50 to the Texans. Watson made similar slippery plays as he did against us. Perhaps last week wasn't such a bad performance...?

Lebeau is one of the best defensive minds ever but he's very rigid in his thinking and scheming. He's the epitome of forcing personnel to match his scheme and never adjusting his scheme to counter his opponents. It's why the Pats beat his elite D's so frequently.

1 minute ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Lebeau is one of the best defensive minds ever but he's very rigid in his thinking and scheming. He's the epitome of forcing personnel to match his scheme and never adjusting his scheme to counter his opponents. It's why the Pats beat his elite D's so frequently.

Soft zones against Brady is how I will remember LeB.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Is it worse than the Deadrick, Guyton days? 

That was the 2009-2011 era. I think those teams' front 7 was actually better than this group, as much as I hated Guyton as a starting LB. The issues on those teams was the lack of good secondary play.

4 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

That was the 2009-2011 era. I think those teams' front 7 was actually better than this group, as much as I hated Guyton as a starting LB. The issues on those teams was the lack of good secondary play.

A typical 2011 front 7 was, according to wiki; Deaderick, Love, Wilfork, Ellis, Spikes (or Fletcher), Guyton, Mayo. Secondary: Devin (out of position), an out of form Chung, with Arrington,  Ihedigbo, Moore and ...Malcolm Williams?! Eesh. 

2 hours ago, everlong said:

Except they're not improving. If anything, they're getting worse. Getting shredded by Cam Newton when in the first 3 games played like 2015 Peyton? Seriously?

Is it really that hard to believe Cam Newton simply was playing bad the first few games because of his injuries that were well known, and he was healthy this week, or simply finally put it together?

The defense is bad right now, we get it...but Cam is 1 season removed from being MVP.

28 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

A typical 2011 front 7 was, according to wiki; Deaderick, Love, Wilfork, Ellis, Spikes (or Fletcher), Guyton, Mayo. Secondary: Devin (out of position), an out of form Chung, with Arrington,  Ihedigbo, Moore and ...Malcolm Williams?! Eesh. 

You're missing Anderson (and Andre Carter early on).

I'd take Deaderick/Love/Wilfork/Ellis/Anderson over this year's DL. Spikes/Guyton/Fletcher/Mayo was better than Hightower/garbage pile.

This year's group can improve but right now, I'd take that 2011 front 7 all day

Archived