2017's Defense

Hunter2_1

Quite like his versatility, but he's more of a jack-of-all trades, master of nothing and we already have one of those (who's also been given the green dot for some reason). Need someone who's really good at one thing; be that pass rushing (Yes please), coverage or stopping the run. 

11 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Mitchell probably isn't coming back and LB depth is a bigger issue anyway. I'll gladly take McLellin back, Roberts hasn't really improved and is bad in coverage, and the D needs help.

Why wouldn't Mitchell come back? Everything that's come out on his injury suggested he needed rest and rehab. He hasn't had surgery to our knowledge.

McClellin sucks in the run game, offers no pass rush and is worse than Hightower and Van Noy in coverage. He's only useful if injuries strike and the difference between him (in the rare event that he's healthy) and a practice squad guy (or Marquis Flowers) is pretty minimal. 

I get that he's a veteran and a former 1st round pick. But he was really bad last year when he was on the field. Mitchell is actually a good player at a critical position where the team has little quality depth after their 3 starters and whose biggest weapon on offense is likely to go down with a major injury before Christmas. 

9 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Why wouldn't Mitchell come back? Everything that's come out on his injury suggested he needed rest and rehab. He hasn't had surgery to our knowledge.

McClellin sucks in the run game, offers no pass rush and is worse than Hightower and Van Noy in coverage. He's only useful if injuries strike and the difference between him (in the rare event that he's healthy) and a practice squad guy (or Marquis Flowers) is pretty minimal. 

I get that he's a veteran and a former 1st round pick. But he was really bad last year when he was on the field. Mitchell is actually a good player at a critical position where the team has little quality depth after their 3 starters and whose biggest weapon on offense is likely to go down with a major injury before Christmas. 

Disagree. McClellin is bad vs. the run but brings versatility on passing downs that the D needs. He's not very good in pass coverage but he's about as good as Van Noy imo and better than Roberts or Flowers, plus he brings at least the possibility of a pass rush. And he can take ST snaps.

Patriots have a ton of receiving weapons and will be getting another once Burkhead gets healthy. They need more defensive bodies.

Re:Mitchell: https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/10/15/16478474/new-england-patriots-wide-receiver-malcolm-mitchell-injured-reserve-return

The Pats have better ST options so that shouldn't be a consideration.

Who are you taking off the field for McClellin? Van Noy? The guy who took McClellin's job and has been decent since the Pats acquired him? 

He's a body, that's it. Expecting him to be better than Roberts is unrealistic considering McClellin was worse last year.

As for Mitchell, that's discouraging news which I had missed. He's still much more important than McClellin though and I hope he's able to make it back. They will need WR depth by the time the playoffs roll around and all they have is Dorsett who is pretty useless. This team isn't going anywhere if they have no one to step up for Gronk and Amendola if (when) they go down. 

I have split the McClellin news to a new thread. Please move all conversation about his potential return there. I am going to lock this thread, it has become a dumping ground for a bunch of stuff that deserves their own threads. Please try to avoid "Mega Threads"! Thanks guys. 

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/3489-mcclellin-possibly-to-begin-practicing/

Archived