2017's Defense

Hunter2_1

Losing Hightower has definitely affected the run D, that was obvious vs. Houston. I would have thought Harris would get playing time inside but apparently he's not in the plans at all.

Malcom Brown has been pretty bad so far which hasn't helped. Without Branch taking on blockers and clogging lanes, Brown has been almost completely taken out of the game by opposing OL. Butler gets some nice penetration at times,  but he isn't the stout run stuffer that Brown needs next to him.

6 minutes ago, iothar said:

Brown was getting thrown back 3 yards off the LOS on some run plays as he got tired.

I think Branch hasn't been in the game plans as much due to the need for some pass rush. I think we will see him much more this coming week.

Branch isnt much of a pass rusher, but he has the ability to eat up blockers and free up other guys on the interior. With they lack of solid play inside, the only reason I can think of him playing on such a limited snap count is that he is out of shape and the coaching staff does not trust him at this moment or he has not been performing in practice. 

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I thought Brown was making good progressions last year. 

He was a little more consistent last year but he's still clearly underwhelming for a 1st round pick. I don't know how much, if any, untapped upside he has at this point. Seems like a generic mediocre 3-technique. His run D is usually average and he offers little in the pass game. He benefited last year from Branch having a great year. Without a solid run stuffing force next to him, he gets neutralized much more easily. 

9 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

Off the top of my head, I believe he missed time in TC?  Also it felt to me like he agreed with Belichick to take perhaps a little less money with the wink wink understanding he is a vet and can skip part of camp.  He's been more out of shape I think than expected but that's the vibe I get.   

Branch was great for us last year.  His regression has hurt.

He began camp on the PUP. I dont recall the injury but in the past he began camp on the NFI list. That might suggest he had an injury that affected his preparation and conditioning. 

How about this for a theory;

In the past, our defenses have been designed to not give up the big play. Bend, but don't break, as it were. It was always able to take away receivers and/or the deep ball/big plays.

2017 offences have edged more toward short drops and quick passing games. Have we simply been worked out? Our D is designed to operate in an NFL of the recent past, and offensive game plans have shifted toward a weakness of ours?  

41 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

How about this for a theory;

In the past, our defenses have been designed to not give up the big play. Bend, but don't break, as it were. It was always able to take away receivers and/or the deep ball/big plays.

2017 offences have edged more toward short drops and quick passing games. Have we simply been worked out? Our D is designed to operate in an NFL of the recent past, and offensive game plans have shifted toward a weakness of ours?  

This is the least talented front 7 they've had since maybe 2009 or 2010. I'd say that's more the issue than the league figuring anything out.

I know the secondary is getting a lot of heat, and their performance has been putrid. But that's still a talented collection of players. The DL and LB groups are, on paper, as bad as Belichick has ever put together. They need Branch to get back to his usual self and get Wise in the game more often. I trust that the secondary will improve. I don't have a lot of hope for the big guys up front.

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Fun (see: shocking) stat guys;

This defense is on pace, statistically, to be the worst ever defense the NFL has ever seen. In yardage and points allowed. 

Hopefully someone takes Patricia off our hands this offseason. Most overrated coordinator, bar none.

2 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Fun (see: shocking) stat guys;

This defense is on pace, statistically, to be the worst ever defense the NFL has ever seen. In yardage and points allowed. 

On pace for after 4 games, 2 of which have been against elite offenses (and Watson shredded Tennessee today). Things will get better.

1 minute ago, mcmurtry86 said:

This is the least talented front 7 they've had since maybe 2009 or 2010. I'd say that's more the issue than the league figuring anything out.

I know the secondary is getting a lot of heat, and their performance has been putrid. But that's still a talented collection of players. The DL and LB groups are, on paper, as bad as Belichick has ever put together. They need Branch to get back to his usual self and get Wise in the game more often. I trust that the secondary will improve. I don't have a lot of hope for the big guys up front.

Is it worse than the Deadrick, Guyton days? 

3 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

I hope this is just trolling or post-loss venting because Patricia is clearly one of the best DC's in the league.

The best DC's defense is on pace to be THE WORST DEFENSE IN LEAGUE HISTORY. Not just worst in 2017, OF ALL TIME. You can't brag about being one of the best with that on your resume and your top CB struggling against bums like Devin Funchess.

Archived