Rank every division’s QB situations: AFC East

notthatbluestuff

Hoping to get some detailed discussion comparing the QB rooms in each division in the coming months, maybe one per week. Next up, the AFC East.

Buffalo Bills: Josh Allen, Matt Barkley, Jake Fromm, Davis Webb
Miami Dolphins: Tua Tagovailoa, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh Rosen, Jake Rudock
New England Patriots: Cam Newton, Jarrett Stidham, Brian Hoyer, Brian Lewerke, J’Mar Smith
New York Jets: Sam Darnold, Joe Flacco, David Fales, Mike White, James Morgan

How do you rank these rooms heading into the 2020 season?

Edited by notthatbluestuff
Added JOE FLACCO to Jets; CAM NEWTON to Pats

Miami - If Tua is ready to go, great. If not, Ryan Fitzpatrick was probably the best QB in the division last season. And Josh Rosen - well, for all the experience he’s had, he’s still essentially a rookie. Hopefully he’s not totally ruined; if not I still think he can show something if developed properly. 

Jets - I honestly think Darnold is better than he’s shown. I think he should get a mulligan for last year. Backup situation looks dire. 

Bills - Allen is fine; some weeks he’s very good, some he’s dreadful. Like Darnold, he’s young and has a lot of room to improve. Backup situation is worrying. Fromm is a major project. 

Patriots - They simply have to rank last, until we have a better idea of what Stidham is. If he doesn’t have it... oh boy. At least Hoyer knows the playbook. 

This one is tough. I'd probably go:

Bills: Allen is good, not great. Experienced backup in Barkley.

Dolphins: Fitzmagic is usually only good for a season per team. Tua's health is unknown. Rosen is Rosen.

Jets: Not a fan of Darnold or the depth. But I'll take the devil I know in Darnold vs the one I don't in Stidham here.

Patriots: Stidham, assuming he starts is a huge question. Hoyer isn't good, but could be worse depth.

1. Miami - I think Tua will be fine in terms of health, franchise QB. Backups can and have all played to varying degrees

2. Buffalo - beat out NYJ due to a safe backup. I can't really call it between Allen and Darnold. Allen has a better infrastructure around him, so should accelerate this season

3. NYJ - Darnold good but no depth, not much help around him

4. NE - I do think BB plan IS Stidham, but we don't know what he is yet

1.  Buffalo takes an unstable position at the top of the division because while Josh Allen isn't terrible, he's overhyped.  What's good about him is that he's one of the bigger QBs that has proven to be mobile out of the pocket, but he takes some really stupid risks at times and is costly for his team.  I do think Allen will improve with time, but they also have an experienced backup in Matt Barkley.  

2. Bill Belichick must be pretty confident in what Stridham can do, but it's not the worst position to be in.  Stridham may be completely unproven right now, but if he ends up either getting injured or just flat out sucks, you put Brian Hoyer in there right away, and he can get the job done.  Probably one of the most reliable backup QBs in the league right now, and Belichick has lined himself up with a good insurance policy.  

3.  It's more about Miami's backups than it is about Tua.  Tua's not going to make it in the NFL long term, and he'll be gone soon. Ryan Fitzpatrick can win games if he goes in there, and Josh Rosen, while an embarrassment to his entire family, still has some experience.  

4. New York's situation is just sad.  Sam Darnold is so terrible, and they have no insurance policy at backup in place.  They draft a on offensive tackle in the first round, which was good, but not enough.  Their entire O-line needs an overhaul and I would probably cut Darnold and sign Cam Newton if I were them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RamblinMan99 said:

4. New York's situation is just sad.  Sam Darnold is so terrible, and they have no insurance policy at backup in place.  They draft a on offensive tackle in the first round, which was good, but not enough.  Their entire O-line needs an overhaul and I would probably cut Darnold and sign Cam Newton if I were them.  

I can understand not being a fan of Darnold, the rest of this is wildly uninformed - Reassuring considering your in-depth analysis of Sam.

Tell me.. How exactly would you go about overhauling the OL? Would something like.. the addition of 4 new starters help? Or were you looking for a complete Madden esc transformation? And.. What more would you have done in the draft? Signing Cam Newton would be very fitting for an organization with a history of dysfunction, so at least you'd fit right in.  

Don't quit your day job..

• Like 3

1) Buffalo- Allen had the best season last year out of the choices (Better passing TD/INT ratio, way better total TD/INT ratio, QBR was just as good as the next best option, and he picked up way more yards on the ground...).  He improved immensely over the past year, and is also put in by far the best situation to succeed. 

2) NYJ- Darnold is close to Allen, and could end up better, but ****, he's put in a piss-poor situation again. He may have the worst WR core in the entire league, the RBs look bleh unless Bell finds form again, and his O-line still looks mediocre at best. Gase hasn't proven a damn thing, and rumors of him not having the respect of the locker room have followed him from Miami to NY. So while I think Darnold has potential...I have little faith the NY Jets are going to tap into it much. 

Still, he improve last year, so maybe he can carry the load and make the Jets relevant again. Their defense looks legit, so they should keep games tight at least. 

3) Miami Dolphins- At worst- Fitzpatrick is a decent stop-gap option. Unfortunately, he's getting older, and his gunslinger mentality may be hindered by his physical tools. I like Tua, but I'm not sure he should play this year. The Dolphins offense also looks bleak. Their starting tackles look bad. I'm not a fan of Austin Jackson at all. There RBs look pretty good if Breida can stay healthy. Big if. Parker is a good WR, but there's not much outside of him. The O-line is my biggest concern, and it looks to be bottom of the league caliber again. Not good for any QB. 

4) Pats- Well, they have Bill, so anything is possible, but that offense looks sad. They're going to rely on their defense to grind out games. Not much to say here. 

Edited by WizeGuy

9 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

1. Miami - I think Tua will be fine in terms of health, franchise QB. Backups can and have all played to varying degrees

2. Buffalo - beat out NYJ due to a safe backup. I can't really call it between Allen and Darnold. Allen has a better infrastructure around him, so should accelerate this season

3. NYJ - Darnold good but no depth, not much help around him

4. NE - I do think BB plan IS Stidham, but we don't know what he is yet

Darnold is good? How can that be said from what he has shown thus far? Obviously not the greatest of situations, but he hasn't proven to be good...At least not yet. 

7 hours ago, NJC33 said:

I can understand not being a fan of Darnold, the rest of this is wildly uninformed - Reassuring considering your in-depth analysis of Sam.

Tell me.. How exactly would you go about overhauling the OL? Would something like.. the addition of 4 new starters help? Or were you looking for a complete Madden esc transformation? And.. What more would you have done in the draft? Signing Cam Newton would be very fitting for an organization with a history of dysfunction, so at least you'd fit right in.  

Don't quit your day job..

Cam Newton would be leagues better for them than Darnold is.  

Heck with Newton's versatility after taking some time to become healthier, that gives them a reason to trade away LeVeon Bell and get some picks for him so they can beef up their O-line. 

What's the reason for keeping LeVeon around when they're not even utilizing him correctly?  

But, you don't even have a QB that can pass the ball to Bell.   That's why Darnold has to go first before anybody else.