Rank every division’s QB situations: AFC East

notthatbluestuff

1 hour ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Cam Newton would be leagues better for them than Darnold is.  

Heck with Newton's versatility after taking some time to become healthier, that gives them a reason to trade away LeVeon Bell and get some picks for him so they can beef up their O-line. 

What's the reason for keeping LeVeon around when they're not even utilizing him correctly?  

But, you don't even have a QB that can pass the ball to Bell.   That's why Darnold has to go first before anybody else.  

So, just to recap: 

You first advocated for an entire OL overhaul, clearly having no idea that's essentially what Douglas just did with the addition of 4 new starters. You've concluded that Darnold isn't worth keeping around... And Cam Newton, who I'll remind you is still unsigned for a reason, would be leagues better in a pass happy offense predicated on short/intermediate accuracy - Because we all know that totally fits his strengths. In this scenario, you would also trade Bell, who given his contract probably only nets you a 5th rounder. I mean..Even in your own delusion things don't make sense. If you sign Cam, all the more reason to keep Bell and emphasize the run game. 

I'd ask for some insight as to why you don't think Darnold is even worth keeping around after two seasons, but I honestly don't believe you've ever watched him play. Maybe the nationally televised "Seeing ghosts" game?

this one is fun, opinions all over the place.

working from the bottom up, i'm genuinely uncertain if I think the Pats or Bills have the worst situation. The Pats because they literally have nobody, but the Bills because I get the feeling they are somewhat committed to Allen who I sincerely believe to be dead weight. Pats might be better off as they could just draft a new QB next year, while I doubt the Bills would move on from Allen even if he has a poor season, and they're somewhat anchored to him.

Still, there is a chance Allen shows improvement, especially with Diggs there, so for now I will have the Pats last, Bills 3rd.

I'm not convinced that Darnold is "the guy" but he has shown well enough given the pieces around him. Tua is a question mark with legitimate injury and durability concerns. I will go:

Jets
Dolphins
Bills
Pats

20 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

1.  Buffalo takes an unstable position at the top of the division because while Josh Allen isn't terrible, he's overhyped.  What's good about him is that he's one of the bigger QBs that has proven to be mobile out of the pocket, but he takes some really stupid risks at times and is costly for his team.  I do think Allen will improve with time, but they also have an experienced backup in Matt Barkley.  

2. Bill Belichick must be pretty confident in what Stridham can do, but it's not the worst position to be in.  Stridham may be completely unproven right now, but if he ends up either getting injured or just flat out sucks, you put Brian Hoyer in there right away, and he can get the job done.  Probably one of the most reliable backup QBs in the league right now, and Belichick has lined himself up with a good insurance policy.  

3.  It's more about Miami's backups than it is about Tua.  Tua's not going to make it in the NFL long term, and he'll be gone soon. Ryan Fitzpatrick can win games if he goes in there, and Josh Rosen, while an embarrassment to his entire family, still has some experience.  

4. New York's situation is just sad.  Sam Darnold is so terrible, and they have no insurance policy at backup in place.  They draft a on offensive tackle in the first round, which was good, but not enough.  Their entire O-line needs an overhaul and I would probably cut Darnold and sign Cam Newton if I were them.  

Probably one of the worst takes I've read on this board lol

• Like 2

13 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Darnold is good? How can that be said from what he has shown thus far? Obviously not the greatest of situations, but he hasn't proven to be good...At least not yet. 

I think good is a relative term, and kind of insinuates just above average? Something like that. I think he's shown flashes of carrying a team, has a number of good QB qualities. But he'll never be top 12 or whatever.

11 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Cam Newton would be leagues better for them than Darnold is.  

Heck with Newton's versatility after taking some time to become healthier, that gives them a reason to trade away LeVeon Bell and get some picks for him so they can beef up their O-line. 

What's the reason for keeping LeVeon around when they're not even utilizing him correctly?  

But, you don't even have a QB that can pass the ball to Bell.   That's why Darnold has to go first before anybody else.  

another really bad take lol.

Bell isn't going anywhere,  his contract is too large and guaranteed this season for one. 

The OL was rehauled,  4 new starters and much more depth than last season. Expecting 5 all pro linemen is unrealistic.  Becton has real upside to change the Ol and anchor them.

Wrs are bad, unless mims proves to be good. Imo mims is gonna be at least better than Anderson was, he can actually catch contested balls and adjust to help a qb out.

Darnold isn't bad, he's extremely young and has tons of upside that hasn't been tapped yet.  He has worked with awful teams so far and had a winning record last season basically him running a offense by himself. 

I am scared because of Gase, but I think Darnold is gonna make a jump and show he's the top qb in the east now that Brady is gone.

With a historically bad ol last season,  it was hard to do anything on offense. When darnold missed games the offense was looking all time bad.

• Like 2

Hard to say. Allen would have to be 1st by default with Darnold 2nd. You have to assume Tua in Miami and Stidham in NE and you don't really know about either.

Stidham looked good in preseason and his sophomore year at Auburn not sure how that translates. Tua looked good throwing to NFL receivers against college DBs when the DBs were good Tua was not as good. Both Tua and Stidham could be the best QB in the division but at this point its hard to say.

2 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Obviously, you're not fully aware of how horrible your team is.  

I'm very aware of my team, more so than you who made statements that were just plain inaccurate. 

Cam Newton would not make us better. 

Our OL was completely re-hauled from last season, so your statement was wrong about them needing a new OL cause it is new.

And your take on how terrible Darnold is and how they should just cut the 22 year old and move onto Newton who is past his prime was gold.  Yeah Darnold who was placed into probably the worst situation of any young QB in football but still show glimpse of greatness should just be released now at 22 years old.  There is no possible way that Darnold improves as the team around him gets better.  Lets just say I doubt Darnold will ever have a team as bad as he had last season, and he still went 7-6.  He literally carries the team at times as we had no run game, mediocre to bad WRs, and tons of injuries. Our OL was historically bad and had massive injuries as well.   I wouldn't be surprised if the only game you saw of his was vs the Patriots, which was definitely far from the norm with him. THat was the worst game of his career and really screwed his stats up for the rest of the season. But he didn't let it screw the rest of his season up, he still showed glimpses of being really good.  I think his upside is top 10 QB as he hits his prime.  Next season I think he'll make a jump and solidify himself as the top QB in the AFC East, though Josh Allen has much better WRs, I think Darnold is a better passer and his accuracy makes guys better at times.   The Jets problem isn't QB, it is whats around the QB. 

• Like 1

This division used to be Brady and the seven dwarves, because the other three teams were deciding between two or three bad choices. Through the years, the New England backup has been the second best QB in the division. We will soon see if it's still true, just with Stidham as starter instead of backup.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Flacco to Jets. He's surely a better backup option than Fales, but I'm not sure it changes much in terms of my rankings here. How much does Flacco have to offer at this point, other than experience? 

Mods, feel free to move this thread to Comparisons; sorry for bumping with it in Gen. 

It's hard to say with Tua and Stidham... They just haven't played so you have to base it on how you viewed them as prospects and how much you trust the coaching staff and supporting talent. 

So based off talent and my belief of the guys that haven't started I would have them listed by most talented as such

Dolphins - I absolutely love Tua as a prospect. The injury history is worrisome, and would have gave me some pause drafting him in the top 5, but I'm not a doctor, nor do I have access to any of the inside information on his current health. So strictly speaking on talent I believe Tua is the cream of the crop in the AFC East at the moment, and believe there's a very good chance that he's the Dolphins new franchise QB for the next decade and will keep them competing for the division with regularity. The OL still has some question marks so I would likely want to give them some time to gel and some time to develop before throwing Tua out there, but Fitzpatrick is a great option for something like that. I also really like Flores and thought he did a good job last season all things considered with what he had to work with. He kept the team fighting. I think the Dolphins take a step forward behind a defense that won't be elite but good, and an offense that relies on the run game and a nice stable of backs and let Tua be eased in and only asked to make a few big plays. Parker was solid last year, but I can't say I trust him or any of the wideouts on the roster, but there is upside. 

Jets - I'm a big believer in Sam Darnold. I think he has immense talent and some things you just can't teach from a intangible aspect. He has great size, a good arm, he's athletic enough to buy time and move the pocket, and he has shown real accuracy at all stages of the field, but hasn't put together enough accuracy and the total package consistently yet. Which isn't a HUGE concern for me from a young player going into his third year, especially when he missed time with something so random as mono and was playing behind 5 blocking dummies essentially. My problem though is I don't love his supporting cast. And I mainly mean the coaching staff, I am just not a believer in Gase. I believe there's a real possibility that he holds Darnold back. He also doesn't have a ton to work with at WR though I was very high on Mims and believe he can become a low end one or high end two and could be Sam's favorite target, I don't think it will be enough of an immediate impact. I do think the OL will be improved and that will help Darnold and help Bell get back on track, but I'm not ready to say they will be a good OL. 

Bills - I honestly have no idea what to make of Josh Allen. Sometimes I watch him and I think that guy is clearly destined to be a franchise QB long term, and sometimes I watch him and think there's no way the inaccuracy and questionable decision making doesn't grow thin at some point, especially on a team I think is super talented and well rounded. He still has yet to throw for even 275 yards in a game if I remember right. Obviously stats aren't everything but in this era you have to be able to win with your arm from the QB position. His athleticism is a great plus though and can be a real asset to a team set up to have a good running game, solid OL, some explosive big play WR and a smothering defense. I think Allen is my 3rd on the list of who I believe is the most talented QBs in the division, but I believe he is in the best situation conducive to success. Diggs is a fantastic fit for him as a guy that can make explosive, game changing plays, and pushes all the other wideouts down to a more natural fit on the depth chart. I also believe that Singletary and Moss will form a fantastic duo at RB with young, fresh legs that can take over games by themselves. 

Patriots - I just never thought much of Stidham in college. I watched him a decent amount in college being a fan of an SEC team, and he was a fine, solid, college QB. But I never looked at him and thought there's a guy I am sure will become a high level starter in the NFL. I trust Belichick as a coach so that is a big boost in his favor, but overall I just don't think he's super talented. He's an ok athlete, decent enough arm, has some solid short accuracy but isn't anywhere near consistent with it. I do think he'll be playing for a coaching staff that can scheme him some success, so he likely won't be a total train wreck, but I don't see the Patriots winning many games because of Stidham. He'll likely just be asked not to lose them and make the occasional play and hope the defense can be close to what they were last year. The problem is they have lost some key contributors and haven't added much in the way of guys I expect to make an immediate impact and nobody on their offense really strikes fear in me. I liked Harry coming out and there's reason to be hopeful for a nice second year jump after missing a lot of time last season, but only so much can be expected. James White is a consistently good pass catching back I like. And I believe Sony can still be a very very good NFL RB, but he seemed to enter Bill's dog house last season so he really needs to step up. I just don't see an overall situation that lends itself to a ton of high level production from the QB position. Although he did look good in the preseason last year that just isn't enough for me to be considered sold. 

That's how I would list it on talent. My list for which guy/team do I think will have the most success from the QB position for the upcoming season would be 

1. Bills

2. Jets

3. Dolphins 

4. Patriots

And if I believed Tua was going to start from day one I would probably put the Dolphins ahead of the Jets only because of their lack of weapons and my lack of belief in the coaching staff to adequately adjust and scheme up some success at a high level from the talent they do have. 

The only guy I would be totally shocked if they had a breakout year relative to their expectations (IE Tua being ROTY and Darnold/Allen becoming pro bowl caliber players) would be Stidham. I can invasion the Patriots as a team being successful but I can't convince myself that would be because of high level QB play. And I also wouldn't be shocked if Tua doesn't play as much as fans hope, and Allen and Darnold fail to take a step forward and leave the Bills really questioning their QB position long term on a team I think is good, consistent QB play away from making some real noise, and the Jets having to decide just how much fault was Gase's and who is the right man to come in and get the most out of Darnold. Though I predicted the Bills to win 11 games so obviously I am currently leaning more towards Allen taking the next step. I just really like that team and coaching staff top to bottom. 

Edited by Mr Raider
  • Like 1

1. Bills - Allen is the most proven QB in this division and he's clearly the best among the other starters in the AFC East. I expect him to be even better with the addition of Diggs.

2. Jets - Darnold is okay, but I still don't see it from him. If he doesn't have a big year I think he'll end up busting sooner or later. He gets the nod over the Dolphins and the Patriots because Tua and Stidham are unproven. 

3. Dolphins - Tua hasn't played a game yet, but I think his potential is better than Darnold's. He's behind him since he hasn't played a snap yet.

4. Patriots - Stidham is also completely unproven and it's not like he was a first round pick like Tua. He also has little to no weapons.