Is Rivers washed up?

Blackstar12

Is Rivers washed up?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Is he washed up

7 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

He’s not zombie-Peyton, IMO. 

That's the best I can say about him. He seemed REALLY bad last season, not sure if that's talent around him... or just him.

I think his ability to avoid stupid turnovers has long since floated down the river.

Seems like he has had one too many kids. Gets frustrated way too easily and it won't help that he is in his first year in a new city with completely different players around. Not sure if the team will rally around a mistake-prone cry baby who looks like a grandpa trying to throw a discus over five feet in the air.

7 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

I feel like this statement contradicts itself. Typically washed up would mean has nothing further to provide of value. If he's not a "bad" QB then that means he's at least average. Which would mean he's more valuable then more then half the starting QB's in the league. Peyton was about his age when he won a SB with the Broncos so I don't feel it's out of the realm of possibility. The Colts are a decently talented team. Some strong QB play could put them over the top.

Big difference between Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers.  You can't compare those two at all.  

Peyton Manning went into Denver already having a Super Bowl with Indianapolis.  He already had significant playoff experience (which Rivers does have) and the experience of going to and winning a Super Bowl (which Rivers does not have).  

The experience of being at the Super Bowl (even if he didn't win one) was already established for Manning at his age when he was with Denver.  Philip Rivers just doesn't have that luxury.  

Nothing is impossible, but that's why the chances of Rivers going to a Super Bowl at his age of 38 years old is highly unlikely.  

By week 13 of 2020 season, on this site, 86% of the TOP QB list thread will have Rivers as #1.

However to the guy who said Colts are a better team than the Chargers.. no they arent. They just are a better situation for Rivers right now. Due to oline, more consistent run game, play caller he excels, real HFA in a dome. 

Rivers about to have a historic year, imo. Too bad it will be with a different team.

Edited by Bearerofnews

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

That's the best I can say about him. He seemed REALLY bad last season, not sure if that's talent around him... or just him.

As yall can see, AFCS fans really hope so.

He looked bad last season, but you never know with these kinds of things.  I don't expect him to suddenly be a top QB again, but I do think he'll look a lot better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

As yall can see, AFCS fans really hope so

See... I need him to be great. Only thing that ends the Bill O'Brien chaos is a resurgent Colts team stealing the division...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

See... I need him to be great. Only thing that ends the Bill O'Brien chaos is a resurgent Colts team stealing the division...

I mean.....there's the Titans.....we could totes do it if the Colts will JUST DIE ALREADY!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean.....there's the Titans.....we could totes do it if the Colts will JUST DIE ALREADY!

You had your chance last season! You lost at home with everything on the line! That would have done it! Hopkins would still be here!!!

Six years, SIX YEARS I've been needing you to stop the bleeding! Go to hell with Jacksonville, IN Jacksonville! Which is HELL!

• Like 2

Do I believe he's shot as in can't be a decent, starting caliber QB? No... The Colts have a good enough run game, offensive line (probably the biggest key for someone with Rivers strengths and weaknesses), Hilton and Pittman who I think can be a solid #2 WR and is the type of WR Rivers has had a ton of success with throughout his career, and a defense that isn't elite but looks good enough to not force him to put up 35 points to win consistently. 

Do I think he's past the point of being a top 5-10 QB that leads a top of the line passing attack? Yeah, probably. He looked bad last year. Really bad. But he was also consistently getting pressed and most QBs don't do well with that. It led to a lot of terrible throws, decisions and ultimately interceptions. 

I expect him to be solid, maybe slightly above average. But I think that's what the Colts are expecting. I think he'll be a top 15-20 QB next year and the Colts success will largely come down to how dominant the OL and run game can be, and if the defense can keep things close. 

Ultimately I think Rivers is solid and the Colts end up around 9-7. 

16 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Big difference between Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers.  You can't compare those two at all.  

Peyton Manning went into Denver already having a Super Bowl with Indianapolis.  He already had significant playoff experience (which Rivers does have) and the experience of going to and winning a Super Bowl (which Rivers does not have).  

The experience of being at the Super Bowl (even if he didn't win one) was already established for Manning at his age when he was with Denver.  Philip Rivers just doesn't have that luxury.  

Nothing is impossible, but that's why the chances of Rivers going to a Super Bowl at his age of 38 years old is highly unlikely.  

I suppose. There are other examples aside from Peyton (Gannon, Plunkett). But is that the criteria that defines "washed up"? Whether or not one is likely or unlikely to reach the SB? Seems highly subjective and spurious. 

The definition of washed up is "no longer effective or successful". If he's above average doesn't that mean he's still effective and successful and still brings value? He's 1 year removed from a 105.5 rated season...

6 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

I suppose. There are other examples aside from Peyton (Gannon, Plunkett). But is that the criteria that defines "washed up"? Whether or not one is likely or unlikely to reach the SB? Seems highly subjective and spurious. 

The definition of washed up is "no longer effective or successful". If he's above average doesn't that mean he's still effective and successful and still brings value? He's 1 year removed from a 105.5 rated season...

No, that's exactly what being washed up means.  

If you don't have the desire anymore or feel like you don't have the ability to get to the Super Bowl, then you're washed up.  

That's the reason why everybody plays the game.  If you're going into the pros and all you want to do is beat records and get paid (no matter what team you're on), then you're an absolute lost cause.  Like, what's the point of even going into the NFL then?  

In the case of Philip Rivers, there were definitely a lot of those years in which he probably wanted to get to a Super Bowl.  Does he feel that way now?  Probably.  Does he feel like he still has the ability to get to a Super Bowl?  Probably not.  

But, I actually would like to see Philip Rivers win a Super Bowl before he retires.  I mean, like any other player's who's in the NFL for the right reasons, he has played his entire career for that moment.  But if he's just going to Indianapolis to just play football, then he's wasting everybody's time.  

8 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

No, that's exactly what being washed up means.  

If you don't have the desire anymore or feel like you don't have the ability to get to the Super Bowl, then you're washed up

Ehh then you have a very subjective and minority view of the term. Certainly not what I take it to mean.

I can assure you Rivers still has the desire to win a Super Bowl and surely still believes he has the abilities, and his stats support him.

• Like 1