Is Rivers washed up?

Blackstar12

Is Rivers washed up?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Is he washed up

36 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's incredibly washed going off of last year. His arm was shot and he made awful decisions. Not to mention he's immobile as hell.

His arm has always been like that. It just looked worse because he couldn't step into his throws as much once Pouncey went down.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 6:45 AM, ET80 said:

That's the best I can say about him. He seemed REALLY bad last season, not sure if that's talent around him... or just him.

It has more specifically to do with the injury to Pouncey and to a lesser extent Okung. Rivers is one of the best if not the best at avoiding the outside rush by moving in the pocket. I would argue that there's no one as good this generation especially within a cluttered pocket. Not Brees, Brady, or even Peyton. Though there are probably others who do it more smoothly and less awkwardly.

You start noticing the decline in 2018 when Pouncey started to wear down and Feeney couldn't stop pass pressure worth a lick. The 2nd Chiefs game comes to mind. In 2019, as soon as Pouncey went on IR, I knew that it was going to end badly.

If Rivers has that stability at the IOL positions (a healthy Nelson and Kelly), he'll be fine. And his arm will amazingly be good again. Because the guy has never had the strongest arm, but he gets by with anticipation throws and his accuracy.

This season with the Colts will be interesting to see. It's the closest that Rivers will be to a Brees and Payton situation in NO.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 2

He’s always been slow and doesn’t have a gun. So he has the capability to be a QB within the realm of the talent he’s shown. Problem is that while above average cerebrally, he has flaws like unleashing bad throws and doesn’t always have Vincent Jackson or Gates to bail him out of 50/50 jump ball throws. He’s capable as always of distributing but needs to be patient and when he has a good OL he’s more willing to do this whereas when he doesn’t, he gets too impatient Decides to make plays without mobility so he makes throws that are bad decisions. He still makes throws trying to make a play that are predetermined like last year against KC but I think Reich is the type of coach who could reign him in. He Might be the best coach he’s had and helped Luck with similar problems that he had because of similar roster weaknesses In the past (bad OL play that eventually led to Some bad wishful throws).

Edited by LA Niner Fan

Titans fan here I may be bias but I do not see him doing much. Will he be good enough for the colts go compete? Yes. But I have no doubt in my mind it won't be for the division. They are a g[d team and may get a wildcard though.

Edited by Vorsutus

I don't see too many games that Phillip plays in, so I have to admit to not being much of an expert on him.  If I were to guess, it would be that he is probably a Teddy Bridgewater level QB who throws more INT's than Teddy will.  He's serviceable.  Maybe a 16-20 level QB.  He will win you some games, but his gunslinging might lose you just as many.  You could certainly do worse at the position, however.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I don't see too many games that Phillip plays in, so I have to admit to not being much of an expert on him.  If I were to guess, it would be that he is probably a Teddy Bridgewater level QB who throws more INT's than Teddy will.  He's serviceable.  Maybe a 16-20 level QB.  He will win you some games, but his gunslinging might lose you just as many.  You could certainly do worse at the position, however.

Which is why Colts improved the run game that was already top 5 last year by drafting Taylor. It’s going to be interesting as he never had a OL this good in a long time.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 3:22 AM, RamblinMan99 said:

Of course, he is.  

He's never even went to a Super Bowl after 16 years, so what makes anybody think he's going to go now?

I believe the question was if he was washed up. How does that become a question of going to a SB or not?

• Like 1

Maybe the coaching staff will be proven wrong, but they all felt that he still had all the physical tools to succeed.

https://theathletic.com/1819444/2020/05/18/a-look-at-how-philip-rivers-is-going-to-change-the-colts-offense/

The Colts, as they’ve hinted at several times since, saw the chance to sign Rivers as extraordinarily unique — a quarterback they feel is a future Hall of Famer, with an arm that hasn’t diminished, who’ll bring the type of fire to the huddle that was missing late last season. The character assessment of Rivers, typically an exhaustive process for this team as they vet free agents, was easy. Stunningly easy.

Reich, Sirianni and Michaels signed off on Rivers without hesitation.

The way they see it: He’s exactly what they were missing last season. A team that started 5-2 but faded down the stretch, finding new ways to lose close games every week, needed something. Some fire. Some juice. Something different.

Throw in Rivers’ arm, which Reich vows hasn’t lost any strength, and the Colts envision a downfield passing attack that will be revitalized in 2020. Sirianni believes Hilton still has the type of speed that can take the top off a defense, similar to what Tyrell Williams and Travis Benjamin brought to the Chargers’ offense.

“They had flat-out speed, T.Y. has flat-out speed,” Sirianni said. “That makes me really excited and I can just picture some of these plays. I can just picture this post (route) that Travis ran against Cleveland, Game 1 against Cover-4 and Philip dropped it right in there to him for a 70-yard gain to start the game. I just envision T.Y. doing that.”

“He’s always been great in the pass game,” Reich said of Rivers recently, “but I don’t think there’s any doubt that he’s been most efficient and played his best football when he has a good run game. … I think he’s the same player he was five years ago, physically, and he’s taken good care of his body. I just think he’s at a stage in his career where it’s just — this is the right thing, this is a great move for him.

“He’s a great fit for us and I think he’s going to welcome playing behind this offensive line, handing the ball off more and not having to throw it 35 times a game to win.”

That’s the balance Reich craves in his offense. Rivers averaged more than 36 passes a game in his last season with the Chargers, including games of 52, 48 and 46 attempts.