Vikings by the Numbers

Just now, swede700 said:

Jennings is the only one for me...since I never saw Cuozzo play and when you guys talk about him, it's never in a good light.  

During Cuozzo's tenure as a starter, it wasn't unusual for the defense to have outscored the offense in games that they won!!

14 hours ago, vike daddy said:

oh, and it's Cox. had more of an impact for the team, for a longer period of time, that Diggs.

fight me.

Oh please. Extra points were 10 yard kicks for most of his career. He hit less than half his FGs from beyond 40 yards (53/159 career), and almost none from beyond 50 (2/24). 

The credit for the great teams of the Grant era belongs to many great players and coaches. The glow from those years doesn't have to be extended to the kicker.

Diggs has been one of the best receivers in the NFL over the last 5 years, and he's one of the best in team history. He is responsible for the Miracle -- probably the single best play in the NFL since The Catch in 1981, and likely the best single moment in franchise history. 

No matter what you think of his "demeanor", a WR as good as Diggs has a much higher impact on the team than any kicker. 

• Like 1

Well, it's no wonder he was so poor at long kicks...he was one of the last breed of straight-on kickers. If he had gone to soccer-style, which many kickers had done during his time, maybe he would have been more effective...but that still didn't stop him from being #2 all time in pts scored (behind Blanda) when he retired.  

Vikings that have worn the number 16:

• Norm Snead (1971)
  • Rich Gannon (1987 - 1992)
  • Kelly Campbell (2002 - 2004)
  • Emmanuel Arceneaux (2011)
  • Matt Cassel (2013 - 2014)

Another number with some so so players for the Vikings, but who played better elsewhere.  Norm Snead was basically a back up to Cuozzo in 1971.  Which is a shame, as he was a four time All-Pro.  His last time as an All-Pro came the season after his stint with the Vikings, when he started for the New York Giants.  Matt Cassel came to the Vikings as a starter following Brett Favre and Tarvaris Jackson.  His stints as a starter, proved just how valuable he was...as a back-up.  Then there was Rich Gannon.  Unfortunately, Rich was starting for a pretty mediocre team, and he wasn't yet the player that would become an MVP with the Oakland Raiders.  What might have happened if Denny Green had been more patient with Gannon and built the offense around his talents?  We'll never know.  My nod goes to Gannon.

37 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Vikings that have worn the number 16:

• Norm Snead (1971)
  • Rich Gannon (1987 - 1992)
  • Kelly Campbell (2002 - 2004)
  • Emmanuel Arceneaux (2011)
  • Matt Cassel (2013 - 2014)

Another number with some so so players for the Vikings, but who played better elsewhere.  Norm Snead was basically a back up to Cuozzo in 1971.  Which is a shame, as he was a four time All-Pro.  His last time as an All-Pro came the season after his stint with the Vikings, when he started for the New York Giants.  Matt Cassel came to the Vikings as a starter following Brett Favre and Tarvaris Jackson.  His stints as a starter, proved just how valuable he was...as a back-up.  Then there was Rich Gannon.  Unfortunately, Rich was starting for a pretty mediocre team, and he wasn't yet the player that would become an MVP with the Oakland Raiders.  What might have happened if Denny Green had been more patient with Gannon and built the offense around his talents?  We'll never know.  My nod goes to Gannon.

I'll agree with you on Gannon as it's more of a "what it coulda been" with him...although since he still lives in Minnesota, that gives him the edge.  It's probably also the worst decision that Denny ever made on the offensive side of the ball in trading him away (in what turned out to be another wasted defensive player pick).  Yes, while it took Rich a long time to develop, as he was on the team for 5 years, he did blossom a few years later in KC and then in Oakland.  Maybe Denny wouldn't have had to waste his time with Jim McMahon, Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham and Jeff George.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

We should have kept Jennings for 2015 instead of going with Mike Wallace.

Jennings is my pick.

You're a day behind SK.  We are on #16 today!

Vikings that have worn the number 17:

• Charley Britt (1964)
  • Bob Berry (1965 - 1967, 1973 - 1975)
  • Bill Cappleman (1970)
  • Mitch Berger (1996 - 2001)
  • Nick Davis (2002)
  • Ben Nelson (2004)
  • Maurice Mann (2006)
  • Greg Lewis (2009 - 2010)
  • Jarius Wright (2012 - 2017)
  • Aldrick Robinson (2018)

Some good role players on this list.  Bob Berry was a serviceable back up quarterback.  He even made All-Pro one year (1969), when he started for the Falcons. I also will say that Mitch Berger was a very, very good punter...perhaps the best in Viking history.  I love Greg Lewis because of his amazing last second touchdown catch from Favre in 2009 that won a game against a formidable SF 49'ers team!  But, I think I will give the nod to Jarius Wright.  He was a good number three receiver on this team.  He was overlooked because of the stellar play of Thielen and Diggs, but he was very effective in the way the Vikings used him.

12 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Vikings that have worn the number 17:

• Charley Britt (1964)
  • Bob Berry (1965 - 1967, 1973 - 1975)
  • Bill Cappleman (1970)
  • Mitch Berger (1996 - 2001)
  • Nick Davis (2002)
  • Ben Nelson (2004)
  • Maurice Mann (2006)
  • Greg Lewis (2009 - 2010)
  • Jarius Wright (2012 - 2017)
  • Aldrick Robinson (2018)

Some good role players on this list.  Bob Berry was a serviceable back up quarterback.  He even made All-Pro one year (1969), when he started for the Falcons. I also will say that Mitch Berger was a very, very good punter...perhaps the best in Viking history.  I love Greg Lewis because of his amazing last second touchdown catch from Favre in 2009 that won a game against a formidable SF 49'ers team!  But, I think I will give the nod to Jarius Wright.  He was a good number three receiver on this team.  He was overlooked because of the stellar play of Thielen and Diggs, but he was very effective in the way the Vikings used him.

Mitch Berger was the only one to appear in a national commercial, so he gets the nod.

• Like 1

Vikings that have worn the number 18:

• Mike Mercer (1961 - 1962)
  • Harry Newsome (1990 - 1993)
  • Tony Bland (1998)
  • Koren Robinson (2005)
  • Sidney Rice (2007 - 2010)
  • Jeff Locke (2013 - 2016)

Sidney Rice gets the nod.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Vikings that have worn the number 18:

• Mike Mercer (1961 - 1962)
  • Harry Newsome (1990 - 1993)
  • Tony Bland (1998)
  • Koren Robinson (2005)
  • Sidney Rice (2007 - 2010)
  • Jeff Locke (2013 - 2016)

Sidney Rice gets the nod.

Yes...but hopefully soon to be Justin Jefferson.

• Like 2