Vikings by the Numbers

The #20 list has a lot of players that I like. There are a lot of fond memories tied to those names. In the end, Bryant is a runaway as the best player for the Vikings of the bunch. 

I was a Moe Williams fan beyond what he probably deserved. I don't remember Smith fondly until later in his career so his time in #20 isn't something that I remembered. I have plenty fond Darrin Nelson memories, but also one memory that sticks out that I wasn't too good. I am sure that I'll be missing Alexander this year.

#19 Thielen and it's not even close

#20 this one was tuff for me but I'll give the nod to Bryant. I didn't really watch him live or at least not to the point where I understood who he was, but with his stats and what I've seen on reruns he gets it over any of the others.

• Rufus Bess (1982 - 1987)
  • Terry Allen (1990 - 1994)
  • Charles Mincy (1995)
  • Moe Williams (1996 - 2000)
  • Henry Jones (2001)
  • Dale Carter (2001)
  • Corey Chavous (2002 - 2005)
  • Fred Smoot (2006)
  • Mike Doss (2007)
  • Marcus McCauley (2008)
  • Asher Allen (2009 - 2011)
  • Josh Robinson (2012 - 2015)
  • Jerick McKinnon (2016 - 2017)
  • Mike Hughes (2018 - Present)

Some really interesting names on this list and some fairly forgettable.  Standouts, as far as I am concerned, would be Terry Allen, Moe Williams, Corey Chavous, Josh Robinson and Jerick McKinnon.  I was a big Terry Allen fan when he was a Viking, and was sorry to see him move on.  I thought Chavous was a smart and effective DB, who was able to overcome some deficient athleticism by having good position.  Josh Robinson was the first "project" of Mike Zimmer in Minnesota.  He was a disaster early in his career, but turned it around under Zimmer's tutelage.  McKinnon was as good a depth RB as the Vikings have ever had.  Hughes might be good, but he has to stay healthy.  I'm going to give my nod to Terry Allen.

Terry Allen, by far, stood out to me on the list. He tore both of his ACLs , still came back and produced 1000 yd seasons, which makes him exceptional.  He was truly one of the first guys to ever come back from ACLs and be productive...something which really hadn't been done before (recall that it ended most RBs careers at that time).    

That trio of drafted corners from Marcus McCauley (still hurts that my namesake couldn't do anything...), Asher Allen, and Josh Robinson (who I correctly predicted we would get in a contest put on by EJ Henderson... and never received my prize) hurts my heart a little.

Vikings that have worn the number 22:

• **** Pesonen (1961)
  • Bill Butler (1962 - 1964)
  • Jeff Jordan (1965 - 1967)
  • Paul Krause (1968 - 1979)
  • Jarvis Redwine (1981 - 1983)
  • Steve Freeman (1987)
  • Ken Johnson (1989 - 1990)
  • David Palmer (1994 - 2000)
  • Tyrone Carter (2001 - 2002)
  • Ken Irvin (2003 - 2005)
  • Artose Pinner (2006)
  • Benny Sapp (2008 - 2011)
  • Harrison Smith (2012 - present)

This contest is down to 2...or 2 22's!  Paul Krause and Harrison Smith.  I think there is not a person on this forum that doesn't have great appreciation for how Harrison Smith plays the game.  He plays football the way it should be played...impactful, but not dirty...smart, but team first...professional, not drawing attention to himself.  The 2020 season will be very important for Smith, as he is the Dean of the DB's.  His leadership, with all those youngsters, will be needed this season more than ever.

Yet, as great a player as Smith is, Krause is a Hall of Famer, who played in 4 Super Bowls, and holds the record for the most interceptions in NFL history by a WIDE margin.  It truly may be a record that will never be matched, much less, beaten.  With great appreciation for the current wearer of #22, my nod goes to Paul Krause.

I didn't get to watch Krause, and Harrison Smith has been my favorite Viking for most of his tenure, but Krause is the clear answer here. 

It's pretty great to have two all-timers share the same number for your favorite team.

I really liked David Palmer on those late 90s teams too.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1

Krause is the winner until Harry makes the Hall.  I'm also quite fond of Palmer and Tyrone Carter (who they let go far too soon).  Also, Benny Sapp's son is still a Gopher, so Benny's A-1 in my book (even if he was never all that good).  

Vikings that have worn the number 23:

• Jamie Caleb (1961)
  • Lee Calland (1963 - 1965)
  • Jeff Williams (1966)
  • Jeff Wright (1971 - 1977)
  • Ted Brown (1979 - 1986)
  • Terry Love (1987)
  • Michael Mayes (1991)
  • Barry Word (1993)
  • Shelly Hammonds (1995)
  • Steve Hall (1996)
  • Tomur Barnes (1996)
  • Torrian Gray (1997 - 1998)
  • Michael Bennett (2001 - 2005)
  • Cedric Griffin (2006 - 2011)
  • Joe Banyard (2013 - 2014)
  • Terence Newman (2015 - 2017)
  • Mike Boone (2019 - Present)

Jamie Caleb was a fullback drafted by the Browns out of Grambling in 1959, who played for the Vikings in their inaugural season.  Jeff Wright had a respectable career as a safety for 3 of the 4 Vikings Super Bowl teams.  Ted Brown was decent RB on some unfortunately mediocre Viking squads.  His Son, JT is a forward for the Minnesota Wild NHL team.  Michael Bennett was a highly drafted running back coming out of Auburn who couldn't live up to the promise.  Ced Griffin showed a lot of promise as a rookie cornerback out of the University of Texas.  He appeared that he was going to be a long-term contributor in the backfield until he tore his ACL in the NFC Championship game against the Saints in '09.  He worked to get back into the starting lineup at the start of the next season, but he tore the ACL in his right knee in the 5th game of the season and went on IR.  His career was pretty much over at that point.  Terrence Newman followed Mike Zimmer from Cincinnati and became the veteran stabilizing influence in a defensive backfield  that was, otherwise, very young.  His play wasn't splashy, however, his presence and experience on the field made the squad on of the best in the NFL.  Then there is Mike Boone.   To me, this number comes down to Wright, Griffin and Newman.   The question I am asking myself is which one of these players had the greatest team impact.  I am going with Terrence Newman.

I still go with Ted Brown.  I think all of you have underestimated him.  It should be noted that he's still 5th place all-time in rushing yards for the Vikings...as a fullback.  If Boom-Boom Brown hadn't ever played, Ted could be considered the best fullback  and the best player with the last name Brown in Vikings history.

Edited by swede700