Vikings by the Numbers

From Manning to Mannion with several duds in between.  Two standouts would be a brainy, humerous, political activist punter named Kluwe, who had the number for a season, and a Quarterback who used to bedevil the Vikings when he played for the Packers, but who put together a season to remember in 2009.  Favre's season, driving the Vikings to the most exciting and definitely heartbreaking NFC Championship Games will always be legendary for Vikings fans.  To bad Archie Manning was definitely declining when he came to the Vikings.

Vikings that have worn the number 5:

• Mike Wood (1978)
  • Larry Miller (1987)
  • Greg Davis (1997)
  • Kyle Richardson (2002)
  • Chris Kluwe (2005 - 2010, 2012)
  • Donovan McNabb (2011)
  • Teddy Bridgewater (2014 - 2018)
  • Dan Bailey (2019 - present)

Chris Kluwe appears on the list for the 2nd day in a row.  However, the standout for the Vikings who have worn number 5 is Teddy Bridgewater.  He probably would be the franchise quarterback today if not for a freak knee injury during a preseason practice in 2016.  Overall, Donovan McNabb had a highly successful career, but just not with the Vikings.  Dan Bailey has an opportunity to bring greater acclaim to the digit.

20 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'd still give it to Kluwe because his success in a Vikings' uniform was a lot more pronounced than Teddy.  Teddy really only had 1 full year as the Vikings' starter.  That's not enough to warrant commendation.  

Oh good...DEBATE!!  In all honesty, I can't declare a punter the best player to wear any number.  Teddy's one year led to a playoff appearance.  I think that most fans who were paying attention could see that Bridgewater was about to turn a corner and take control over the offense when the injury came.  I will vote on the side of potential to a franchise quarterback over a punter.  I can't wait for your counterpoint!!!  :)

6 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Oh good...DEBATE!!  In all honesty, I can't declare a punter the best player to wear any number.  Teddy's one year led to a playoff appearance.  I think that most fans who were paying attention could see that Bridgewater was about to turn a corner and take control over the offense when the injury came.  I will vote on the side of potential to a franchise quarterback over a punter.  I can't wait for your counterpoint!!!  :)

Well, Kluwe is arguably the Vikings best punter in the history of the franchise.  He only played 11 less games than Greg Coleman and has the highest yards per punt average for of anyone who has punted for more than 1 year in a Vikings' uniform.  While I certainly understand the positional value of a quarterback over a punter, the fact that Kluwe had sustained success at his position for 8 years is going to trump a guy who potentially could have been a franchise QB but only lasted 1 year.  That would be like seriously considering Sam Bradford over Greg Coleman as the best #8.

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, Kluwe is arguably the Vikings best punter in the history of the franchise.  He only played 11 less games than Greg Coleman and has the highest yards per punt average for of anyone who has punted for more than 1 year in a Vikings' uniform.  While I certainly understand the positional value of a quarterback over a punter, the fact that Kluwe had sustained success at his position for 8 years is going to trump a guy who potentially could have been a franchise QB but only lasted 1 year.  That would be like seriously considering Sam Bradford over Greg Coleman as the best #8.

Kluwe wasn’t even a good punter, yards per punt isn’t a useful stat.

Teddy started 2 years, not one. He was a good young QB and still improving when he got hurt. He was a winner. He was a fan favorite, and his teammates and coaches loved him.

If you pick Kluwe over Teddy, might as well close this thread.

8 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Kluwe wasn’t even a good punter, yards per punt isn’t a useful stat.

Teddy started 2 years, not one. He was a good young QB and still improving when he got hurt. He was a winner. He was a fan favorite, and his teammates and coaches loved him.

If you pick Kluwe over Teddy, might as well close this thread.

Teddy didn't start for 2 full seasons.  He came in during the 4th game of the season, which is why I did not count that rookie year.  I will disagree with you, so then you may as well close the thread, because Kluwe was a good punter, whether you believe that to be the case or not.  He certainly had his faults as a punter (and did drop off quite a bit in his last couple of years), as he wasn't a great directional punter like Chilly wanted him to be, but his hang-time was good and you don't just hang around with the same team for 8 years if you're not good.  I think we've seen that to be the case throughout the NFL.

Edited by swede700

37 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Teddy didn't start for 2 full seasons.  He came in during the 4th game of the season, which is why I did not count that rookie year.  I will disagree with you, so then you may as well close the thread, because Kluwe was a good punter, whether you believe that to be the case or not.  He certainly had his faults as a punter (and did drop off quite a bit in his last couple of years), as he wasn't a great directional punter like Chilly wanted him to be, but his hang-time was good and you don't just hang around with the same team for 8 years if you're not good.  I think we've seen that to be the case throughout the NFL.

The Saints game when Cassel got hurt was the 3rd game of the year, not the 4th. Teddy started 12 games and played in 13, missing the Packers TNF game due to injury. That counts as a season for a starter. If you look him up on the 2014 draft page (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2014/draft.htm) he's listed as having started for 2 seasons. 

Anthony Barr started 12 games in 2014, 14 in 2015 and 13 in 2018. It'd be pretty weird if you said he only played 3 seasons as a starter.

Kluwe wasn't bad but he wasn't especially good. No reason he needs to be included on a list of best or most important Vikings of all time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Kluwe wasn't bad but he wasn't especially good. No reason he needs to be included on a list of best or most important Vikings of all time.

While I'll grant you the first point, as it's just semantics and, in the end, not all that important to the point.  However, the list of best or most important Vikings is not the topic at hand, as I agree that he's not one of the best Vikings of all-time.  However, if you just solely single out the ones that wore the #5, since it's such a limited sample of players who have worn the number, then he has to be on that list.  No one is going to put Kluwe in the Vikings' Ring of Honor (certainly not if Priefer has a vote).  Hell, they should just give the next highly drafted Vikings QB the number, because it wouldn't take a whole lot more to surpass Kluwe or Teddy.  

Thank you #Swede700 and #Krauser...you have debated well...and proven that debate doesn't have to devolve into name calling, questioning parentage or intelligence.  To all observing...this is how grown ups discuss things while holding separate opinions!!!!  You guys have made my day!!!

Edited by Guest