Vikings by the Numbers

Vikings that have worn the number 8:

• Greg Coleman (1978 - 1987)
  • Todd Bouman (2001 - 2002)
  • Aaron Elling (2003 - 2004)
  • Ryan Longwell (2006 - 2011)
  • Sam Bradford (2016 - 2017)
  • Kirk Cousins (2018 - present)

Greg Coleman was a very good punter, who last with the team for 9 seasons.  That doesn't happen very often these days, as teams change punters and kickers like you and I change socks.  Speaking of kickers, Ryan Longwell was very steady during his 5 seasons in Minnesota.  But let's talk quarterbacks.  The opening game at US Bank stadium against the Packers was a great performance.  Bradford has a whale of a game, and Diggs was on fire.  I thought there might be something special brewing under the new roof.  But, in that same game, Bradford suffered a knee injury that would make 2016 a difficult year for Vikings fans.  Kirk Cousins came along in 2018 with a huge guaranteed contract, and even bigger expectations.  Yet again, the transition to a new quarterback was not easy, and Kirk Cousins became a point of division among Vikings fans.  Fortunately for him, Cousins led the Vikings to a wildcard victory over the Saints in 2019, yet the team laid an egg in Frisco against the eventual NFC Champs.  Viking fans are still wondering what exactly the team has in Cousins.  Is he a game manager intent on not losing?  A franchise quarterback that gives his team the best chance of a championship?  All the divisiveness and wondering aside, Cousins gets my nod over Coleman as the best number 8 in franchise history.

I will always remember Todd Bouman fondly. It is good to see a local kid overachieve. That said, there is no way I could make an argument for him being considered as the best Viking #8. I've never been a big Kirk Cousins supporter, but it has to be him. Apart from a few games where he justifiably couldn't trust the offensive line he has played well for the Vikings. How badly he falls apart when his offensive line breaks down is concerning but only a few times did he lose confidence in them for a complete game.

Bradford also gave the team some nice games. I like him fine too but there is no way the value he brought to the team came anywhere near matching what the Vikings gave up to acquire him. That isn't his fault. In the end, he didn't stick around long enough to be seriously considered.

Edited by Cearbhall

32 minutes ago, whitehops said:

cousins is the only QB to start two straight seasons for the team in how long? he gets my vote for sure.

Teddy Bridgewater (if you count his rookie season, as was pointed out to me by Krauser).

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

Teddy Bridgewater (if you count his rookie season, as was pointed out to me by Krauser).

But Bridgewater didn’t start his rookie season as the starter. Yes, he started the majority of the games (because of Cassel’s injury), But Cousins is the first Vikings QB to start, and finish, two seasons in a row since Warren Moon. 

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

But Bridgewater didn’t start his rookie season as the starter. Yes, he started the majority of the games (because of Cassel’s injury), But Cousins is the first Vikings QB to start, and finish, two seasons in a row since Warren Moon. 

That’s just mind-bottling...

as our young friend @SteelKing728 used to say. 

• Like 2

Vikings that have worn the number 9:

• Tommy Kramer (1977 - 1989)
  • Jim McMahon (1993)
  • Scott Sisson (1996)
  • Brooks Bollinger (2006 - 2007)

Not many Vikings have donned the number 9 and made it to the regular season roster.  There really is only one choice here, in my opinion.  Tommy Kramer.