Saahdiq Charles has 3rd best footwork in the draft

turtle28

So, I've been thinking this deserved its own discussion. A lot of people have gushed over the athleticism of the top 5 OTs taken in the draft while Charles was a forgotten man early in the draft bc he likes to try out the peace pipe everyonce in a while - who doesn't?

On film tells a different story. We've all see the videos that mostly @HTTRDynasty has posted in the Charles draft selection thread. I've seen those and watched many others, including ones on Thomas, Wills, Wirfs, Jackson, Jones & Cleveland and judging by the tape, Charles has the 3rd best footwork in pass protection of these prospects - behind Thomas & Wills - and arguably the best footwork.

How do others feel?

I've become very bullish on this pick over the last few weeks.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So, I've been thinking this deserved its own discussion. A lot of people have gushed over the athleticism of the top 5 OTs taken in the draft while Charles was a forgotten man early in the draft bc he likes to try out the peace pipe everyone in a while - who doesn't?

On film tells a different story. We've all see the videos that mostly @HTTRDynasty has posted in the Charles draft selection thread. I've seen those and watched many others, including ones on Thomas, Wills, Wirfs, Jackson, Jones & Cleveland and judging by the tape, Charles has the 3rd best footwork in pass protection of these prospects - behind Thomas & Wills - and arguably the best footwork.

How do others feel?

I've become very bullish on this pick over the last few weeks.

Bullish is a bit strong for me . I'd say very hopeful. I liked his comments after the draft that he was going to repay the Redskins faith in him by giving his all. 

He looks to be very talented, athletic . I hope we have a steal here at the top of round four. I like he played ( when he played ! ) in a BigTime program !

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Bullish is a bit strong for me . I'd say very hopeful. I liked his comments after the draft that he was going to repay the Redskins faith in him by giving his all. 

He looks to be very talented, athletic . I hope we have a steal here at the top of round four. I like he played ( when he played ! ) in a BigTime program !

This is what I like to see. Hopefully he actually shows up to all the OTAs (even voluntary ones) when we're allowed to have them. Would be a welcome change at that position.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Interesting, Donald Penn is also 6'4" ( Charles is listed at that height on most sites ) and has short 33 inch arms . ( Same as Charles ) He's had a long productive career !

Yeah, and Jason Peters is 6'4" and has 33 1/8 inch arms.  

Not worried about arm length as long as our OL coach can improve his technique to an NFL starter level.  That, and his foot quickness, will help make up for his lack of size and arm length.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I hope he plays well. Losing Trent is going to hurt a lot more than people think but if Charles plays like a starter it will alleviate some of that. 

We were without him last year, and it honestly didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

We were without him last year, and it honestly didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.

I mean, we won three games and our offense was terrible. Penn was serviceable but he was definitely getting knocked around a bit. They definitely felt Williams absence. 

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, we won three games and our offense was terrible. 

It's not like the same thing hasn't happened with Trent Williams in the lineup.  2013 comes to mind.

Williams is definitely a better option than anyone we have right now, but I don't think his impact has been as high as fans think.  One player on the OL just doesn't move the needle that much.  When it comes to team building, it's all about having an overall competent OL with no glaring weaknesses IMO.

• Like 2

There's some things to like about Charles but I think it was you on the peace pipe with this thread. At this point, he's a long shot to be a Franchise LT. With his shorter stature it might appear that he has quicker feet compared to the other guys. I think he's a guard, but we'll see.

27 minutes ago, taylor made said:

There's some things to like about Charles but I think it was you on the peace pipe with this thread. At this point, he's a long shot to be a Franchise LT. With his shorter stature it might appear that he has quicker feet compared to the other guys. I think he's a guard, but we'll see.

He played at a high level in the toughest conference in the nation with those feet. It shows up on film. Hard to debate it.