Saahdiq Charles has 3rd best footwork in the draft

turtle28

14 hours ago, taylor made said:

172th on PFF's big board. Let the debate begin!

I mean there’s holes in his game as with any prospect but the guy is a beast IMO. I don’t think his play is actually a concern. He isn’t the biggest strongest fastest but man his hands feet and his center of balance is always good

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 10:11 AM, turtle28 said:

So, I've been thinking this deserved its own discussion. A lot of people have gushed over the athleticism of the top 5 OTs taken in the draft while Charles was a forgotten man early in the draft bc he likes to try out the peace pipe everyonce in a while - who doesn't?

On film tells a different story. We've all see the videos that mostly @HTTRDynasty has posted in the Charles draft selection thread. I've seen those and watched many others, including ones on Thomas, Wills, Wirfs, Jackson, Jones & Cleveland and judging by the tape, Charles has the 3rd best footwork in pass protection of these prospects - behind Thomas & Wills - and arguably the best footwork.

How do others feel?

I've become very bullish on this pick over the last few weeks.

Outside of Thomas and maybe Bechton, I see RT for the future of a lot of the tackles taken in the first round, and maybe guard (I'm looking at Tristan Wirfs with that one.).  Charles has a legit chance to stick at LT long-term.

Charles dropped far too much for off-field concerns in my mind, probably because a lot of teams had too much to investigate with other prospects and avenues with limited resources.  However, given our recent trend of looking in the SEC, as well as having a great support system (at least from Rivera's past) for troubled players like this, it was probably a no-brainer after they talked to his coaches.  

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 10:35 AM, Thaiphoon said:

This is what I like to see. Hopefully he actually shows up to all the OTAs (even voluntary ones) when we're allowed to have them. Would be a welcome change at that position.

At least for rookies, I believe all practices and OTA's are mandatory.  In fact, I want to say there is a certain numbers of league years until it becomes voluntary but I might be remembering that wrong. 

On 5/6/2020 at 11:51 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, and Jason Peters is 6'4" and has 33 1/8 inch arms.  

Not worried about arm length as long as our OL coach can improve his technique to an NFL starter level.  That, and his foot quickness, will help make up for his lack of size and arm length.

If anything, OL coaching is the one spot we didn't downgrade with the change to Rivera's Pantherskins staff.  Matsko can take most anyone and mold them, and has one of his former players assisting him.  

16 hours ago, taylor made said:

There's some things to like about Charles but I think it was you on the peace pipe with this thread. At this point, he's a long shot to be a Franchise LT. With his shorter stature it might appear that he has quicker feet compared to the other guys. I think he's a guard, but we'll see.

He's no more a longshot to stick at LT than Tristan Wirfs, who comes from a school where they constantly produce good LT's on the scouting sheet, but they usually end up at guard like Robert Gallery and our own Brandon Scherff

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It's not like the same thing hasn't happened with Trent Williams in the lineup.  2013 comes to mind.

Williams is definitely a better option than anyone we have right now, but I don't think his impact has been as high as fans think.  One player on the OL just doesn't move the needle that much.  When it comes to team building, it's all about having an overall competent OL with no glaring weaknesses IMO.

There are many scheme things you can do to help the left side of the line this year if we don't sign a stopgap.  Our right side of the line is strong enough to handle not having help in just about all instances.  I'd still like to see a veteran stopgap come in, but I am not sure if they pull the trigger or not.  

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He played at a high level in the toughest conference in the nation with those feet. It shows up on film. Hard to debate it. 

Another good point.  He played against many top 10 teams this year, and some great defenses.  Having someone competing against a lot of potential NFL talent in those games means a smoother transition to the NFL versus some other prospects.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I hope so. Again this guy fell to the 4th round. Dude(s) with attitude issues, bad choices, etc go in the 1st round ALL the time. 

This was an extremely good OT draft though.  Most loaded position after WR.  I think he would have gone higher in a normal draft.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This was an extremely good OT draft though.  Most loaded position after WR.  I think he would have gone higher in a normal draft.

Probably. That said, he was the 11th OT taken? Deep or not, it is what it is.

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There are many scheme things you can do to help the left side of the line this year if we don't sign a stopgap.  Our right side of the line is strong enough to handle not having help in just about all instances.  I'd still like to see a veteran stopgap come in, but I am not sure if they pull the trigger or not.  

Agreed.  I'd prefer we sign a stopgap as well, but only if Lucas shows he can't play on the left side.  He did well on the right side last year.

I don't want to rush Charles into the starting lineup this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Outside of Thomas and maybe Bechton, I see RT for the future of a lot of the tackles taken in the first round, and maybe guard (I'm looking at Tristan Wirfs with that one.).  Charles has a legit chance to stick at LT long-term.

Charles dropped far too much for off-field concerns in my mind, probably because a lot of teams had too much to investigate with other prospects and avenues with limited resources.  However, given our recent trend of looking in the SEC, as well as having a great support system (at least from Rivera's past) for troubled players like this, it was probably a no-brainer after they talked to his coaches.  

That's been my thought process all draft season. It's why I always had Thomas above the Becton, Wirfs and Wills of the draft.

I will say that Wills & Thomas have the best footwork of the tackles in the draft, but my point was that Charles is arguably right there with them. 

I think Jedrick Wills is a day 1 starting LT. I think Becton & Wirfs start off a RTs. Austin Jackson starts at LT for the Dolphins I think, Josh Jones at RT for the Cardinals and Cleveland at RT for the Vikings.

Edited by turtle28

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That's been my thought process all draft season. It's why I always had Thomas above the Becton, Wirfs and Wills of the draft.

I will say that Wills & Thomas have the best footwork of the tackles in the draft, but my point was that Charles is arguably right there with them. 

I think Jedrick Wills is a day 1 starting LT. I think Becton & Wirfs start off a RTs. Austin Jackson starts at LT for the Dolphins I think, Josh Jones at RT for the Cardinals and Cleveland at RT for the Vikings.

You don’t think Jackson is going to protect tu’as blindside?