Saahdiq Charles has 3rd best footwork in the draft

turtle28

41 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Lucas had some solid performances for sure.  He might turn into being a lottery winner of a signing where we got it right and everyone else got it wrong.  But we have to recognize that if there was even a mild quorum of NFL evaluators who viewed him as a starting left tackle then we wouldn't have got him for peanuts.  

I'm not even saying he's going to be a starting LT, I'm just saying he's not  ”terrible” and he's not ”camp fodder.”

42 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I'm not even saying he's going to be a starting LT, I'm just saying he's not  ”terrible” and he's not ”camp fodder.”

If you’ve been on 5 times in 6 years you’re almost the definition of camp fodder. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If you’ve been on 5 times in 6 years you’re almost the definition of camp fodder. 

That has nothing to do with how he played last year. He developed over a few years, got a chance to play last year at RT when Bobby Massie was hurt and then got to play at LT when Charles Leno was hurt, and played well. That's valid reviewable film and the film does the talking. I already laid out the DEs & OLBs he faced last year. He played well last year. That means he's not camp fodder. The last time he was camp fodder was two years ago. It's not relevant today. 

And Wes Schweitzer comes from a ZBS scheme which we are transitioning to. He's played C, G and RT in that scheme. Maybe he's not a starter, but he's never been camp fodder ever. You're just making stuff up bc you're not happy we didn't retain Ereck Flowers and we didn't sign a high priced LT yet.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, Schweitzer started 13 games in 2018 at left guard after Andy Levitre was lost for the season in week 3. He faced Jon Allen when the Falcons blew us out that year - he also scored a TD that game - and he didn't give up a sack going against Jon Allen all game.

Saying either guy is terrible or are camp fodder holds no water. I'll willfully admit they aren't world beaters but they are serviceable OL, perhaps more.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That has nothing to do with how he played last year. He developed over a few years, got a chance to play last year at RT when Bobby Massie was hurt and then got to play at LT when Charles Leno was hurt, and played well. That's valid reviewable film and the film does the talking. I already laid out the DEs & OLBs he faced last year. He played well last year. That means he's not camp fodder. The last time he was camp fodder was two years ago. It's not relevant today. 

And Wes Schweitzer comes from a ZBS scheme which we are transitioning to. He's played C, G and RT in that scheme. Maybe he's not a starter, but he's never been camp fodder ever. You're just making stuff up bc you're not happy we didn't retain Ereck Flowers and we didn't sign a high priced LT yet.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, Schweitzer started 13 games in 2018 at left guard after Andy Levitre was lost for the season in week 3. He faced Jon Allen when the Falcons blew us out that year - he also scored a TD that game - and he didn't give up a sack going against Jon Allen all game.

Saying either guy is terrible or are camp fodder holds no water. I'll willfully admit they aren't world beaters but they are serviceable OL, perhaps more.

Okay turtle. All the guys we signed are studs. You’re right and I’m wrong. Let’s move on. 

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

What is interesting is what Rivera thinks.  Does he think Lucas/Charles can handle the LT spot?  We will know based on whether they sign a vet like peters/penn between now and training camp.

Personally, I would sign a vet.  I wouldn't break the bank, but I would sign one.

31 minutes ago, offbyone said:

What is interesting is what Rivera thinks.  Does he think Lucas/Charles can handle the LT spot?  We will know based on whether they sign a vet like peters/penn between now and training camp.

Personally, I would sign a vet.  I wouldn't break the bank, but I would sign one.

I would wait until we know we need to sign a vet, which is what we did last year. I read somewhere that Rivera is considering bringing back Penn, I think on NBCSportsWashington. 

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I would wait until we know we need to sign a vet, which is what we did last year. I read somewhere that Rivera is considering bringing back Penn, I think on NBCSportsWashington. 

IMO we got very lucky last year with Penn.  Almost everyone here thought LT was going to be a disaster after trent quit on us even after we signed Penn.  No one expected Penn to play as well as he did.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, offbyone said:

IMO we got very lucky last year with Penn.  Almost everyone here thought LT was going to be a disaster after trent quit on us even after we signed Penn.  No one expected Penn to play as well as he did.  

Yes, and I doubt we would get that lucky again with Penn. I mean he didn't even get injured at 35 years old. He hadn't stayed that healthy since 2016.

• Like 1

I really like that he's already working with another rookie to learn the playbook.  The fact that I heard that his dedication was questioned by other teams was the thing that scared me, but it seems that he's putting his best foot forward, at least at the start.  It's a small thing, but it is something.  

Malcolm Blacken will be the person primarily responsible for checking in with him and holding him accountable, as well as Rivera.  John Matsko and Travelle Wharton should be able to coach him just fine.  I would hope a leader comes through on the offensive line and can mentor him as well.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I really like that he's already working with another rookie to learn the playbook.  The fact that I heard that his dedication was questioned by other teams was the thing that scared me, but it seems that he's putting his best foot forward, at least at the start.  It's a small thing, but it is something.  

Malcolm Blacken will be the person primarily responsible for checking in with him and holding him accountable, as well as Rivera.  John Matsko and Travelle Wharton should be able to coach him just fine.  I would hope a leader comes through on the offensive line and can mentor him as well.  

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29227bdf80026bc31612