2020 Schedule

J-ALL-DAY

While it might be fake, for this particular season, the above schedule idea makes perfect sense to have it set up where the out-of-conference games are confined to a part of the schedule that can be easily discarded in the event that the league needs to cut games due to the virus, since those would all be the games that would affect the overall competition of the year the least.

Side note, as an East Coast fan, I hate that this is the year the league will be playing without fans. It would have been the first-ever year I could get to 3 games (NYG, NYJ, NE) with an outside shot at a 4th (NO) if it landed on the right weekend. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

While it might be fake, for this particular season, the above schedule idea makes perfect sense to have it set up where the out-of-conference games are confined to a part of the schedule that can be easily discarded in the event that the league needs to cut games due to the virus, since those would all be the games that would affect the overall competition of the year the least.

Side note, as an East Coast fan, I hate that this is the year the league will be playing without fans. It would have been the first-ever year I could get to 3 games (NYG, NYJ, NE) with an outside shot at a 4th (NO) if it landed on the right weekend. 

According to Jay Glazer, the league is still planning on having fans in attendance. Of course, too early to tell and it doesn't matter what the league wants, but what I'm trying to say is.....there is still a chance you can go to all those games this year!

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

That fake account wasn't the first place I saw the idea of the season being structured like that. I think it makes a lot sense to order the season by least important to most important games. 

22 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

That fake account wasn't the first place I saw the idea of the season being structured like that. I think it makes a lot sense to order the season by least important to most important games. 

John Clayton said the same thing today, so I think safe bet we play the AFC East teams in the first four weeks. 

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

John Clayton said the same thing today, so I think safe bet we play the AFC East teams in the first four weeks. 

4-0, here we come! Please let us do two in a row back east, with both weeks 1 and 2 

Kyle may finally have a positive winning percentage in September lol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I was legitimately thinking of going to the Jets/Giants game at the Meadowlands. Or making a trip of it and going to SF or NO. Would be my first game.

Closest NFL stadium to me is Buffalo. I wanted to go in 2016 but i had a family event to attend. That event....took place in San Francisco. Of all the weekends lol.

I'll try to go in 2021 i guess. Visit SF again, or if they visit Detroit (2nd closest stadium to me) that year, would be a good chance. 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I was legitimately thinking of going to the Jets/Giants game at the Meadowlands. Or making a trip of it and going to SF or NO. Would be my first game.

Closest NFL stadium to me is Buffalo. I wanted to go in 2016 but i had a family event to attend. That event....took place in San Francisco. Of all the weekends lol.

I'll try to go in 2021 i guess. Visit SF again, or if they visit Detroit (2nd closest stadium to me) that year, would be a good chance. 

My first game was in Buffalo. The game where we set the record for penalties and lost for the first time to a winless Bills team, though we put up a heck of a fight once entering the 4th quarter down 23-0. It is not my favorite game I've attended. 

• Like 1

This is from Albert Breer on Monday

The NFL has promised the schedule will be released by this Friday, and it’ll be a far more newsworthy event this year than it has been in the past, for a lot of very obvious reasons. So over the weekend, I called a few team presidents to take their temperatures on some of the underlying themes that could go into the decision-making in setting the slate up, and how to proceed from there. Some nuggets I gathered:

• The No. 1 thing to watch will be the International Series games. The teams I talked to were skeptical, at best, about the idea that the NFL could proceed with four games in London and a game in Mexico City in the fall. The Jaguars are scheduled to host two games at Wembley, the Dolphins and Falcons are set to host games at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and the Cardinals are expected to be the home team for the Mexico game. It’s hard to imagine NFL teams making these trips at this point. So it’ll be interesting to see if the league acknowledges that, or goes forward—which would send five more teams into planning for what likely would be massively complicated trips.

Since Monday, the league has declined playing out of the country.

• The second thing to watch will be for collapsible elements to the schedule, which could easily take the number of games down from 16 to 14 or 12. Obviously, the easiest thing to do would be to remove interconference games. So it’ll be interesting to see if those games are clustered in Weeks 2-5 (with Week 1 still set as a celebration of the return of the sport, that could be moved to the top of a modified schedule).

• One question that coastal teams are getting from NFL schedule-makers: Do you still want to have games on the opposite coast set for consecutive weeks, so you can stay in between games (a practice many teams have adopted)? On one hand, teams might believe that could be an effective way of quarantining, with players and coaches sequestered amongst themselves. On the other, teams might not want to spend extended periods of time in other parts of the country. It’s pretty relevant this year, with the AFC East drawing both West divisions in the rotation, and the NFC West drawing both East divisions.

• Will Las Vegas and the Los Angeles teams have their home openers later in the schedule, to allow for construction delays? And, for that matter, will the L.A. and New York teams have their slates backloaded with home games, because their areas have further to go in coming out of the crisis? Will that mean having, say, November and December weekends with one L.A. team playing on Thursday and the other on Sunday; or one New York team playing Sunday and the other on Monday?

• How will the big TV games get clustered? Will we see games like Chiefs-Ravens or Saints-Buccaneers further into the season, to increase the likelihood they’re played in front of fans?

• And that brings us back to how this will all be applied—and college football is a factor here. I’ve heard one idea that the major conferences have thrown around is starting their season on Oct. 1 and eliminating the non-conference schedule in doing so. They’ve also looked at pushing the schedule back altogether, and I’m told major college programs in the north have actually been in touch with NFL teams about using domed stadiums in January or February for home games, if it comes to that.

• Could the NFL move its schedule back, too? I don’t think it’s crazy to consider. Two teams estimated to me that, on average, NFL clubs would lose about $100 million apiece in local revenue if the season was played without fans in the stands. So when I asked if, given the choice, those in charge would rather start Sept. 1 without fans or Nov. 1 with them, one NFC team exec didn’t mince words: “I don’t think it’s even a question. If you could play a full season with fans, I don’t see how you don’t go that way. The economic impact is too major. If it’s possible to play it with fans by pushing it back, I don’t even see what we’d be discussing.” Worse, losing fans at games for a year could have an impact past 2020, in how fans used to going to games would have old habits broken, and may realize it’s easier to stay home and watch from there.

• Of course, the union will come into play on these decisions, and the first place would be connected to the salary cap. If the season went on without fans, and that $100 million figure is a ballpark reality (making the losses $3.2 billion league-wide), we’d be talking about a $48 million hit on the salary cap. In that scenario, the league and union would likely work together to “smooth” the cap (spreading the cap decrease over multiple years instead of dropping it by the full amount in one season), perhaps by borrowing from the benefits money or future years. But that, obviously, would have an impact down the line. And it wouldn’t be surprising to see it slow negotiations with big-ticket players in the coming months, with so much uncertainty ahead.

• So that’s why players and teams would probably be O.K. with moving the schedule back, if it meant preserving that much revenue. It also wouldn’t be too difficult, with most football stadiums having their non-football concert and event dates in the warmer months, giving the league the option of moving games into January, February and March.

• How far could the league move the Super Bowl back? It’s a fair question. A source told me that the league requires, with every Super Bowl bid, that cities hold extra dates in case the game has to be moved. So Tampa presumably has those. That said, one team exec told me the league probably wouldn’t want to move the Super Bowl past the start of the 2021 league year, which comes in mid-March. Moving that date would require negotiation with the union.

• Expect the NFL to work with the major college conferences on this behind the scenes (one key figure could be new Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren, the former Vikings COO). The league, ideally, would like its schedule to sync up with the college season, for combine and draft purposes. So you can bet they’ll be comparing notes, even if their circumstances are pretty different. Along those lines, I can say that at least a few NFL teams have been working with the other pro sports teams in their cities to come up with plans for re-opening. Obviously, the NFL has the advantage of not being in-season, where, in a typical year, we’d be a month into the MLB season and in the midst of the NBA and NHL playoffs. Pro football will gain another advantage if baseball starts in June, as MLB folks have said it will, in that they’ll have a guinea pig to study.

And if it seems like I was all over the place a little with that stuff, it’s because this is a complex thing for every sports league to deal with. Everyone’s hoping we’re in a place to kick off a football season in September. But, clearly, the people in charge have to be prepared for the next steps if that can’t happen—something that I’m sure we’ll see reflected, one way or the other, in the schedule release this week.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/04/john-lynch-san-francisco-49ers-offseason-reload?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_medium=social

56 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

My first game was in Buffalo. The game where we set the record for penalties and lost for the first time to a winless Bills team, though we put up a heck of a fight once entering the 4th quarter down 23-0. It is not my favorite game I've attended. 

Do we all share our horror stories of first game attended?  I have been on only one game, we were hosting tampa bay and I thought it would be a close game and had a better than average shot to win... bought the tickets before the season.  

Enter game day - the Josh Freeman bucs shut us out at home the first time in 30 years 21-0.  I am scared of attending another.

What these teams aren't thinking about starting the gms let's say Nov 1 with fans...the possible 2nd wave of Covid 19 and the flu season. We've been told from the very beginning their will be a another spike(usually 6 months after 1st wave) and then u add in normal flu season...not gonna get my NFL hopes up. 

Sorry about that...lol Does suck though I was looking forward to 49ers coming to Dallas. :(

2 hours ago, burlow said:

Do we all share our horror stories of first game attended?  I have been on only one game, we were hosting tampa bay and I thought it would be a close game and had a better than average shot to win... bought the tickets before the season.  

Enter game day - the Josh Freeman bucs shut us out at home the first time in 30 years 21-0.  I am scared of attending another.

If it encourages you, the next 49ers game I saw was a 28-17 win over the Cowboys.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:
7 hours ago, burlow said:

If it encourages you, the next 49ers game I saw was a 28-17 win over the Cowboys.

I second this! @burlow if possible, you gotta try and go again.

Funny story, my uncle used to say the same thing "I am bad luck, they always lose when I go"  I finally convinced him to go to a preseason game after YEARS of refusing (free) tickets (when we were horrible) and they lost the preseason game. He then refused to go to another game. He had the audacity to ask me if I had an extra ticket to the nfccg this year, so I told him no way! they always lose when you go.

But maybe that's the move here, just go to a preseason game where it doesn't matter if they win or lose, get the monkey off of your back and then go to a regular season game later. worst case, they lose and who cares, best case they win and its official that you aren't a jinx. 

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Definitely the month with the most uncertainty, so makes sense that it's going to be all non-conference, in case there's a shortened season, those are the most expendable games.

BUFFALO, MIAMI at home weeks 1-2

JETS, PATS on the road weeks 3-4

I like that they put the best team (buffalo) first. If week 1 is cancelled, then we just skipped the best team in the division.

NE last is great for football as well. It gives BB 3 weeks of Jimmy film to break down, which is fun. 

EDIT - Wait, read that wrong. That's just the opponents and not the actual order. Man, its going to be surreal if there is no football

Edited by N4L