All time career wasted team

Kiwibrown

Just now, Ray Reed said:

He had some pretty solid team success with those Harbaugh 9ers teams, right?

Now Bengals on the other hand...

I was thinking his Bengals tenure, blanked on his career as a 49er...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Elky said:

Asomugha actually benefited from being on such terrible teams. It made him look like he was a lot better than he really was.

Nonsense. Asomugha was a long, press man corner who played at an elite level for a number of years in Oakland. He tackled really well too. The Eagles played him in a lot more off coverage and a lot more zone, nullifying his best assets.

I'm thinking you might actually be Mel Kiper with a take like that 😁😁

Just now, Darbsk said:

Nonsense. Asomugha was a long, press man corner who played at an elite level for a number of years in Oakland. He tackled really well too. The Eagles played him in a lot more off coverage and a lot more zone, nullifying his best assets.

In Oakland he rarely played with a lead and the other corners were really bad. If scheme was the problem he woukd have been picked up after his stint in Philly. Teams realized he got exposed then.

4 minutes ago, Elky said:

In Oakland he rarely played with a lead and the other corners were really bad. If scheme was the problem he woukd have been picked up after his stint in Philly. Teams realized he got exposed then.

He did get picked up by the 49ers but by then I think he was 32, had lost a step or two, and was looking to further his fledgling acting and film making career, those are more plausible reasons I think than just suddenly everyone realised he wasn't that good after all 😀

At his prime Asomugha was right up there with some of the best press man corners the Raiders have had, maybe a step below the Molester and Mike Haynes but better than Woodson I'd say. You're not multiple All Pro without being pretty good. 

If we’re talking Bengals, we’re talking AJ Green and Geno Atkins. Two HOF caliber players that haven’t won a playoff game.

Poor AJ has been tied to Dalton his entire career; completely limited his potential and perception as a player. 

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I can agree with this one, some of those Charlie Cassery/Dom Capers teams were just horrible. Things got better during the Kubiak days, but man, the early days were brutal.

I'd hesitate on this one. If memory serves me correct, he's only been on one losing team (the 2-14 Texans from 2013). Outside of that, every team he's been on has been 9-7 or better (he was injured for the 2017 season, that was a big reason the team went 4-12).

The Texans have underachieved, sure. But I wouldn't call it a wasted career.

whenever a generational player ends his career w/o a ring i feel its a waste. or call it a spot on his HOF credential if you wish.

He'll most likely won't win a ring in HOU so...

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Nah, If I recall, Asomugha didn't play the whole field. Teams would just put their B receiver (or 3rd option) out there on his side and pick apart the other corner giving the illusion that Nnamdi was "shutting down that side of the field" when in reality, teams were still walking up and down the field against the Raiders without problems

45 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Nah, If I recall, Asomugha didn't play the whole field. Teams would just put their B receiver (or 3rd option) out there on his side and pick apart the other corner giving the illusion that Nnamdi was "shutting down that side of the field" when in reality, teams were still walking up and down the field against the Raiders without problems

Partly true, he did usually play one side of the field but to say he didn't play against the top receivers is incorrect. Its on video so you can easily check it out rather than make lazy statements. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pressdemocrat.com/news/2270400-181/matchup-between-pro-bowl-cornerback%3fview=AMP

https://www.ninersnation.com/2013/4/16/4227620/all-22-nnamdi-asomugha-vs-calvin-johnson

He didn't play with a great supporting cast and teams did sometimes scheme to the other side but he was still a great player matching up on some great receivers. I guess you've got your preconceptions though so I dont expect to change minds 😀 I just watched him do it.

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

whenever a generational player ends his career w/o a ring i feel its a waste. or call it a spot on his HOF credential if you wish.

He'll most likely won't win a ring in HOU so...

I guess that makes sense, but that opens up a lot of guys to that list... Ladanian Tomlinson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, etc. 

When I think waste, I think of guys who never even got a shot - Archie Manning is the quintessential name on this list. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I was thinking his Bengals tenure, blanked on his career as a 49er...

That's weird.  Most people forget he played for the Bengals.

And like Takeo Spikes and Corey Dillion, he left a year too early.  All three could have stuck around and played on a very good (maybe even great with those guys) '05 Bengals team.

• Like 1