Instant 2020 Expectations

Texas_OutLaw7

What are your expectations for this team and why?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How you expect we finish?

• 1st/2nd in the NFC - Superbowl Contender
    • 1st in the NFC East - Deep Playoff Run
    • Make Playoffs - Early Exit
    • Fringe Playoff Team - No Playoff Wins
    • 8-8
    • Losing Record
  2. 2. Why do you feel this way? (Pick as many as you'd like)

• Already Talented Roster
    • Amazing Draft
    • New Coaching Staff
    • Truncated Off-Season (Lack time for Workouts / Playbooks / Etc)
    • Uncertainty at Starting Positions (name them)
    • Strong NFC East Teams
    • Weak NFC East Teams
    • Lack of Depth

• 4 months later...

I honestly was not sure about what sort of  team we would have entering this season.  Last year I was pretty accurate saying they would struggle to play .500 ball.  After the first 3 games of this season I think this is a team that will play below .500 ball.  We are fortunate to have 1 win.  O line is a train wreck.  Maybe Tyron comes back against Cleveland. Maybe Collins comes back this week too.  Who knows what type of shape he will be in?  There are just too many holes to be filled for this team to be taken seriously.  They will entertain offensively.  They will drive us to drink defensively and on special teams.  They may finish below .500 and win the division.  The NFC East is a sorry lot.  For what it is worth I have a lot less emotion watching the games.  A quarter century of futility has led me to expect very little.   Sadly the team annually meets that expectation.

1 minute ago, Northland said:

I honestly was not sure about what sort of  team we would have entering this season.  Last year I was pretty accurate saying they would struggle to play .500 ball.  After the first 3 games of this season I think this is a team that will play below .500 ball.  We are fortunate to have 1 win.  O line is a train wreck.  Maybe Tyron comes back against Cleveland. Maybe Collins comes back this week too.  Who knows what type of shape he will be in?  There are just too many holes to be filled for this team to be taken seriously.  They will entertain offensively.  They will drive us to drink defensively and on special teams.  They may finish below .500 and win the division.  The NFC East is a sorry lot.  For what it is worth I have a lot less emotion watching the games.  A quarter century of futility has led me to expect very little.   Sadly the team annually meets that expectation.

And let’s not forget about the stellar play at Safety thus far. The defense in general has been a steaming pile, but the Safeties have been God awful.

• Like 1

Just now, plan9misfit said:

And let’s not forget about the stellar play at Safety thus far. The defense in general has been a steaming pile, but the Safeties have been God awful.

We don't value the position.  An annual parade of low round draft picks, marginal free agents who never made an impact anywhere in the league and signing well past their prime veterans who we think can turn back the clock seems to be the strategy at safety.

10 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

How bad is Robinson and Wilson practicing that the coaching staff doesn't think they could do a better job?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Northland said:

We don't value the position.  An annual parade of low round draft picks, marginal free agents who never made an impact anywhere in the league and signing well past their prime veterans who we think can turn back the clock seems to be the strategy at safety.

We know that. Just like we don’t value the 1T position. As you well know, I’m no fan of DBs, but it’s abundantly clear that we need talent back there.

7 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

We complained the same thing about Lewis, and now that we see him in the light of day it isn't good. 

Lewis looked ok as a rookie and flashed in spot duty.

We know what we have right now and its not good.

Might as well try something different.

I also think I'm being unkind towards MM and the Staff. 

COVID really made it difficult for a new coaching staff. 

Still. I don't feel like being generous. You were brought it because we were done having a HC learn on the job. So we got a vet. You "studied all year" in preparation. You handpicked an "elite" coaching staff. 

The results can be argued. The injuries can be excused. But it's the piss poor execution and scheming that's really damning. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I also think I'm being unkind towards MM and the Staff. 

COVID really made it difficult for a new coaching staff. 

Still. I don't feel like being generous. You were brought it because we were done having a HC learn on the job. So we got a vet. You "studied all year" in preparation. You handpicked an "elite" coaching staff. 

The results can be argued. The injuries can be excused. But it's the piss poor execution and scheming that's really damning. 

The piss poor execution is the result of the lack of real preseason. Practicing plays versus actually running them real time are dramatically different. To be perfectly fair, every team with a new head coach should look at this season as one with minimal expectations. It’s very difficult to overcome 1) a new staff, 2) new systems, 3) the lack of a preseason, and 4) significant injuries to key personnel on offense and defense. 

Quite simply, that’s a recipe for disaster. 

Just now, plan9misfit said:

The piss poor execution is the result of the lack of real preseason. Practicing plays versus actually running them real time are dramatically different. To be perfectly fair, every team with a new head coach should look at this season as one with minimal expectations. It’s very difficult to overcome 1) a new staff, 2) new systems, 3) the lack of a preseason, and 4) significant injuries to key personnel on offense and defense. 

Quite simply, that’s a recipe for disaster. 

I agree. And I acknowledge that global circumstances should afford grace. 

...I simply lack any at the present. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Team has to get healthy and the guys who are being paid have to play like their paycheck. 
It’s not been what I had hoped this far, but we have 3 in at home vs Clev, NYG, and Cards, then Philly and Wash. 

I don't know what to make of this club.  Cleveland will challenge our secondary and their DL will give our OL all they can handle.  I see a toss up.  We should beat the Giants.  Cardinals will be a toss up.  We should beat the Eagles.  If Washington s front 7 is healthy they will give us all we can handle.  Our secondary is awful.  They will give every opponent a fighting chance.  Offensively we have to light it up and cannot afford to make mistakes.  Not a good position to be in.