Cairo Santos placed on IR

chiefs82

Santos is not a vested veteran yet, so he has go through the waiver process. If he goes unclaimed he'll go to IR by default:

However:

Am told K Cairo Santos won't return to Chiefs if he clears waivers by injury settlement. Free to sign elsewhere once clearing waivers.

I've never been a big fan of Santos. I want a kicker I can send to the field to kick 50 yarders automatically - and he's not the guy. Not sure how many FGs the Chiefs did NOT attempt because of his limitations, limiting their tactical options as well ...

I think the logic is different: The Chiefs already decided they wouldn't give him aveteran contract. As he's out for the year they can settle the issue and set him free immediately.

The going rate for a decent veteran is 2 M$+/yr, and with the cap situation the Chiefs are in this is a position they can take some risk to save some money. 

Interesting quote by Toub:

“[Butker] is a good kicker,” special teams coordinator Dave Toub said Friday. “He was our number one guy coming out this year as a rookie, we had him ranked number one. So if we were going to draft a guy he was going to be the guy we would probably target. So we felt good about him coming out, we just weren’t looking for a kicker at that time. It’s funny how things work and now all of a sudden we’ve got him. We’re happy with him, he’s a good kid.”

The remark at Arrowheadpride that he would become an ERFA next year is crap - he was just drafted this year - so he will become an ERFA only AFTER 2018 (unless signed to a three year deal already, which I consider unlikely).

It's official - from the NFL's 09-30-17 Transaction Report

WAIVER REQUESTS (All are NO RECALL) 

KANSAS CITY

Santos, Cairo

Tulane 

From Reserve/Injured
         Injury Settlement

Archived