2020 Minnesota Vikings Opponents & Schedule

RpMc

Just now, swede700 said:

Since they know the team so well, less preparation is required.  ;)

It’s not prep I’m worried about. It’s focus and energy. 

Under Zimmer this team has always come out of the by looking unfocused, sloppy, and sluggish. 2-4 after the bye week, and all six games are generally one of the ugliest of the year. 

Should we live in a world four months from now where testing, care and management are far different, here are the matchups we’ll most be looking forward to …

1) VIKINGS AT SAINTS, Week 16 (Dec. 25), Superdome

A rare Christmas Day matchup (on a Friday!), which means most of us will miss it whilst jamming together seemingly unmatchable plastic ends of various toys. Still, I’m beginning to like what has become a yearly end-of-season Sean Payton rage fest as one supremely talented team after another falls just short of the big game. The Vikings’ victory last year in the playoffs (called by yours truly) has undoubtedly put them atop Payton’s ever-expanding list of enemies. Regardless of what kind of position both of these teams are in (are you ready for Sean Mannion vs. Jameis Winston!?!?!) this will be worth emerging from an eggnog hangover for.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/08/nfl-schedule-2020-best-games-vikings-saints-christmas

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s not prep I’m worried about. It’s focus and energy. 

Under Zimmer this team has always come out of the by looking unfocused, sloppy, and sluggish. 2-4 after the bye week, and all six games are generally one of the ugliest of the year. 

He said with a younger team, they won't necessarily go as easy on them coming out of the bye week.

10 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Yeah, good point. The face of the franchise.

Yep I observed that yesterday ... and I was actually 'disappointed' by the graphic.
Though I'm not sure if the graphic designer who makes these graphics are funneling it up to communications director, and further up.
I'm expecting a $12M per year extension.

Edited by CriminalMind

The NFL’s schedule makers gave a boost to the Chiefs’ chances of repeating. That’s because the Chiefs, to a greater extent than any team in the league, will be playing with more rest than their opponents. As calculated by Lee Sharpe, the Chiefs have an advantage over their opponents of 10 net rest days over the course of the season. That’s the most in the NFL.

The Chiefs play on Thursday in Week One and then play on Sunday in Week Two. Their Week Two opponent, the Chargers, play on Sunday in Week One. That means the Chiefs have three more rest days than the Chargers in Week Two. The Chiefs also get an advantage of seven rest days from their Week 10 bye when they play the Raiders in Week 11. Over the rest of the season, the Chiefs’ short weeks and long weeks (after Thursday and Monday games) even out, and the Chiefs never play a team coming off its bye. So Kansas City ends the season with a +10 net rest day differential.

That’s particularly noteworthy for the Chiefs, as Andy Reid has a proven track record of having his teams play very well with extra time to prepare: Reid is 24-5 in his coaching career when his team is coming off a bye.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/08/schedule-gives-chiefs-the-nfls-biggest-rest-day-advantage/

Playoff Team Predictions:

NFC

EAST: Eagles. Even if this is a lost year for Alshon Jeffrey and Desean Jackson again, they have sufficient reinforcements. The revamped secondary looks good to me. I don't mind the Jalen Hurts selection and I bet they find ways to get him involved, too. As long as the injuries do not wipe out entire position groups as they did a year ago, I like the Eagles big here in what otherwise will be a poor division again.

NORTH: Vikings. The rest of this division has left me fairly baffled at multiple times since January. And Minnesota could have torn this thing up and started over and I would not have blinked, but doubling down on this group will prove good enough to win this suspect division. Mike Zimmer needs to let the offense do its thing, because I do have reservations about his side of the ball. This is not a coronation of the Vikes as much as consternation about the rest of this bunch. Packers picked an odd time to pick a fight with Aaron Rodgers.

SOUTH: Bucs. Yeah I am buying all of the hype. Brady and Gronk putting the band back together. Tom illegally sneaking into coach's houses to get a leg up and getting busted breaking social distancing regulations to get a workout in. Super Bowl or bust. Bruce Arians can handle this and that defense is loaded with high picks. Strong enough offensive line and a ridiculous bounty of weapons on offense. I lean to Tampa over New Orleans because I think Brady out-performs Drew Brees at this twilight of their careers.

WEST: 49ers. Love their draft, coupled with the Trent Williams trade. Kept the DL elite even after dealing Buckner and Kyle Shanahan has all the tools he needs in the passing game now with Brandon Aiyuk in the fold. Already a dominant rushing team. Might be the best defense in football.

WILD CARDS: Saints, Seahawks, Cowboys. New Orleans is built to withstand an injury to Brees and still play into January. They will be a factor. Russell Wilson is good for about 10 wins a season and that ain't changing anytime soon. And while I have deep reservations about the Cowboys defense and ability to stop anyone, they had a helluva draft and with an expanded field and getting to feast on the Skins and Giants, I figure they are good for a one-and-done playoff appearance.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-predictions-a-way-too-early-look-at-wholl-be-division-winners-and-playoff-teams/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

And Minnesota could have torn this thing up and started over and I would not have blinked, but doubling down on this group will prove good enough to win this suspect division.

Not sure why he thinks the Vikings doubled down instead of starting over. They have as much roster turnover as any team in the league, and their starting lineup will be much younger / inexperienced.

Expected starters / major contributors in 2020 who are not on rookie contracts: 

Cousins
Thielen
Rudolph
Reiff
Ham
maybe Sharpe

Hunter
Pierce
Stephen
Kendricks
Barr
Wilson if you want to count his RFA year as an extension
Smith
Harris

Also interesting to point out that Cousins, Reiff, Pierce and Sharpe (if he does contribute) are the only names on the list that aren't homegrown -- drafted or signed originally by the Vikings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 12:18 PM, Klomp said:

Thought No. 1 was an interesting observation.

Coo was the logical choice. Kirk is still hit and miss with the fanbase and Theilen was hurt most of the season. Cook right now is the most popular Viking on offense. 

Those 3 games before and 3 games after the Bye are huge games. Hou has Watson, Sea always gives us trouble, and Atl will be better. Then 3 straight division games with 2 on the road is not easy. If Vikings can come out that stretch over 500 then the Vikings will gain a lot of momentum for the second half of the season.  Starting with the 3 game homestand.

Edited by dc_vikingfan